The evils of Pasta or is it Vending Machine Coffee!

Kezzer4321

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
ok for lunch today I had my usual salad with tuna and a blob of mayo, which I no normally would not spike my BS. However as an experiment I decided to add 8 spiral bits of pasta to my lunch I ate my lunch at 12:15 and pre-lunch my BS was 4.5. At around 1:15 I drank a white coffee with sugar from a free vending machine. I dont usually drink the vending machine coffee so have never tested it for spike. So when I tested my BS at 2:15pm (2hr after lunch) it was 8.3.

I'm kinda shocked as that's a huge jump, i certainly didn't expect to get such a high spike. Do you think this is all the evil pastas doing or is the vending machine coffee equally evil? I don't tend to think much about what I am drinking, except to avoid sugary drinks or fruit juices.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Er, white coffee with sugar?
Problem solved I should think.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
That is not too bad! What you do not know though is if you are still on your way up or on your way down or at the peak. If I was to add those things for the first time I would not only test at 2 hours as it tells me nothing really as you could have gone much higher for a period. Also give the fact you could be 15% error you could be anywhere from 7 up. I expect the real issue was the machine coffee with sugar

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Possibly the pasta spiked you at 1 hour (without you knowing) and at that moment in time you chose to have a coffee with milk and sugar, so the sugar, milk and caffeine may have raised your spike even further.

Reactions: 2 people

shedges

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I reckon it's the machine sugar with some coffee flavouring in it. You gonna try again tomorrow with one or the other?

Kezzer4321

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks guys for your comments - I may never have either of them again lol.

Unfortunately, I didn't bring enough strips with me to test again but I know my BS must still be a little high as I get a kind of pressure headache when it goes high or really low.. I try not to eat or drink anything but water after a meal until I do my 2hr test as otherwise its had to know what spikes the BS. I'll definitely do another test but I might have to give myself a day or too to get over the shock.

Reactions: 3 people

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had a similar reading after lunch today of food I regard as ok, but I was a bit higher than you beforehand, so the jump wasn't so great. i just tell myself to take the long view and keep pegging away. My self-appointed danger level is 10 so if I ever go over that again like I did with battered fish'n'chips (12.8) it'll be headless chicken time* and not otherwise. I have yet to experience any nasty lows.
Try the current pasta experiment (hot, cold, reheated) some time and you'll add to our forum research data. We can make a difference!

*Good source of protein

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Coffee with sugar......:eek:

Vending machine coffee also contains whitening, this also contains glucose which will push up bg levels.

Reactions: 7 people

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
I always choose expresso coffee then use my own
sweetners from out of my handbag .
To take the bitter coffee taste away .

The rest of some vending machine coffee choices can be loaded
with sugars or glucose syrup !

Reactions: 4 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I always choose expresso coffee then use my own
sweetners from out of my handbag .
To take the bitter coffee taste away .

The rest of some vending machine coffee choices can be loaded
with sugars or glucose syrup !
I've actually been known to take a small pot of double cream. Did it last Sunday when we went out for breakfast.

I knew that the place does fab coffee and then ruins it with those awful little plastic cream pots with the foil lid.

A moment's sleight of hand, and I really enjoyed my lovely coffee... ;)

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I vote for the pasta. Try only the pasta tomorrow without the coffee and tell us the result.:jimlad:

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Both. Pasta sends me through the roof. But milk and sugar?:depressed:

Kezzer4321

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@NoCrbs4Me just to say I tested the pasta yesterday. I had a chicken salad with a table spoon or so and I was 4.8 before lunch and 4.9 2hrs after.... I call that a success. I don't think I will ever eat a whole bowl of dinner made of pasta but at least I know that I can have a taster if I want to. That said don't think I will try a vending machine coffee again lol

Reactions: 4 people