The Hidden Killer. Type 2 Diabetes.

• Thread starter catherinecherub
  • Start Date

videoman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i watched the program with great interest and at the end,very disappointing that it did only focus on T2 and not T1 which can be worse? It stated you are born with T1 which is not true

GwenSky

I've joined the forum - although not diabetic myself, it's always been something that's concerned me. I watched the 5 min introduction to this programme and couldn't go any further. It certainly used shock tactics, but for me; that part worked. It was a clear way to say "this is no joke - what you eat CAN have disastrous results" so it has given me a very viceral reaction that I'm quite glad of. I think it's good to have that shock treatment to push you onto a better course. But - like I said, I only watched the intro. From what I gather from my friends who watched it, and your comments here, it wasn't generally a helpful programme. And probably did nothing to show a better way forwards. But I've gone and bought myself a blood-glucose monitor because of the programme - surely a good thing?!
However, I have actually volunteered for Diabetes UK - which I wasn't too happy with, but that's another story for another time - but some of the questions we ask individuals is about their genetic background, so of course, if it was only diet that played the major role, those questions wouldn't be asked!

TerryinDorset

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was shocked when watching this programme that not one doctor, or other trained professional explained the part played by excess visceral fat & how that causes the pancreas to stop producing insulin, & by extension loosing weight will do the trick. Forget all the pills, even, & those horrendously expensive gastric reduction operations, & LOOSE WEIGHT.

I was waiting for the Newcastle Diet to make an appearance but no....another surgeon appeared instead with another overweight compliant patient in tow.....but then they'd loose their jobs if patients went home to eat less instead.

T2 can be cured by weight loss. The NHS should stop wasting money on anything else.
The programme was one-sided & skewed to fit whatever the adgena was the makers had.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was shocked when watching this programme that not one doctor, or other trained professional explained the part played by excess visceral fat & how that causes the pancreas to stop producing insulin, & by extension loosing weight will do the trick. Forget all the pills, even, & those horrendously expensive gastric reduction operations, & LOOSE WEIGHT.

I was waiting for the Newcastle Diet to make an appearance but no....another surgeon appeared instead with another overweight compliant patient in tow.....but then they'd loose their jobs if patients went home to eat less instead.

T2 can be cured by weight loss. The NHS should stop wasting money on anything else.
The programme was one-sided & skewed to fit whatever the adgena was the makers had.

I don't think NHS surgeons will ever be out of a job... the demand will always be there... how long has dieting failed for prolonged weight loss?

Humma

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Whilst I applaud your dedication to the body beautiful, there are many, many reasons others would not be able to invest so much time into themselves. How many parents of young children would be able to find the time you do to do as you do, in between caring for their children, being Mum/Dad's taxi, looking after their home, and probably holding down a full-time job. Obviously that assumes that such an imaginary person would be physically able or even suited to your form of regime.

Not everyone wants to be gym bunny. I don't. I'm active and I'm able, but weight lifting or gym work has never been for me.

I got lucky with my Diabetes. My body seemed well able to respond to the efforts I made and I thank my lucky stars for that every day, but the bottom line is that I have no idea how long I'll be that lucky. Nobody knows what lies ahead of them. I really do hope you never have the misfortune to be rendered unable to train as you do. In those circumstances you may discover some extra and unwanted challenges in your life.

Sadly, not everything is under own own control or achievable by the application of our will.
Everybody can find 2 x 30 minutes in the day for some exercise. the ones on the prog just cant be bothered.I retired last year hence the extra time but even when working 40 hours a week and bringing up 2 young boys i was still up the gym and have many trophies.Cant means wont and if they want to gorge themselves that is there choice but there future doesn`t look good,Cardiovascular disease Kidney disease Nerve disease Eye disease Stroke Heart Attack Gangrene Amputations If there willing to risk that for bars of chocolate and huge servings of food ??????
Trophy 011.JPG

Jo123

The programme was one-sided & skewed to fit whatever the adgena was the makers had.[/QUOTE]

So terry what bmi do I have to get to go cure my prediabeties, do please tell me I'd love to eat what I like.

Reactions: ziggy_w

hornplayer

Everybody can find 2 x 30 minutes in the day for some exercise. the ones on the prog just cant be bothered.I retired last year hence the extra time but even when working 40 hours a week and bringing up 2 young boys i was still up the gym and have many trophies.Cant means wont and if they want to gorge themselves that is there choice but there future doesn`t look good,Cardiovascular disease Kidney disease Nerve disease Eye disease Stroke Heart Attack Gangrene Amputations If there willing to risk that for bars of chocolate and huge servings of food ??????View attachment 20624

Congratulations on all the trophies. Fitness is obviously a huge part of your life.
Have you considered that maybe some people really don't have time in the day to exercise? Not if they want to get any sleep at all. I'm approaching the time of year where, if I'm not teaching, driving or performing, I'm doing paperwork or preparing/repairing for the following day. I'm lucky to get 5hours sleep a night. Yes, there other times in the year where I have more time and I take advantage of that. But there are plenty of people out there who are holding down two or more jobs in an effort to support their families. Yes, in an ideal world, people would have time to take care of their health but not everyone has that luxury. Also, as someone who has always been fit and looks amazing, maybe you aren't aware of the sheer courage it takes some people to just walk out of the door. Knowing that people are looking, whispering behind their hands, shouting, mocking and laughing, in some cases.. The programme didn't help those people, it didn't encourage, not even in a little postscript. It made things worse.

Reactions: Prem51

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Of course not everyone carrying weight has an eating disorder. I'm not suggesting that for an instant. I am just acknowledging that things aren't always as straightforward as they look.
And by the way the eating disorders are illinesses too http://www.dsm5.org/documents/eating disorders fact sheet.pdf so it should be cured too.
Of course I don't expect that someone with Narcissistic Personality Disorder could understand and emphathize with other people with behavioural problems, but I'll never repay with the same condescending and emphaty-lacking money.

magsiesss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who drive with fog lights on when its only a bit of mist
Quite a few people on this thread have really taken the moral high road - if they can reverse their diabetes and lose weight, anyone can.

If only ..

Since diagnosis my BS has reduced because of change of diet and daily exercise I now take - but I have not lost even a kg ... go figure ...

S

serenity648

Everybody can find 2 x 30 minutes in the day for some exercise. the ones on the prog just cant be bothered.I retired last year hence the extra time but even when working 40 hours a week and bringing up 2 young boys i was still up the gym and have many trophies.Cant means wont and if they want to gorge themselves that is there choice but there future doesn`t look good,Cardiovascular disease Kidney disease Nerve disease Eye disease Stroke Heart Attack Gangrene Amputations If there willing to risk that for bars of chocolate and huge servings of food ??????View attachment 20624

so, if you were at work 40 hours a week, who looked after your sons so you could go to the gym etc?

I worked 40 hours a week, brought up 3 children - on my own - took care of my disabled relative too. No way could I have got out to a gym, or had the energy and time to exercise an hour a day. You just dont get it, do you. Its easier to blame people than to consider that their circumstances, mentally as well as in other ways, could be different to your own.

TerryinDorset

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I merely want to make the point is, my own weight reduction & stability is due only to the change I made a year ago to my diet having followed the Newcstle Diet to get a now normal BS. I did it through diet alone.

I just make the point that I didn't hear this view made once during the programme. The importance of diet was ignored.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It really is not necessary to go to the gym to lose weight. You cannot negate the effects of a bad diet by exercising. Walking is every bit as good for general health as strutting one's stuff in a gym ..... and it isn't necessary to walk up hill and down dale. A couple of 20 minute walks a day is ample, providing it is a brisk walk. I really do wonder how people that rely on strenuous exercise would cope should they break a leg or become ill in some way. I lost over a third of my body weight by following a low carb/high fat way of eating and 2 twenty minute dog walks a day, and have maintained my BMI of 21 for 2 years now. I could go to the gym. I have time. I can afford the subs. I don't go because I don't want to and don't feel the need to.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And by the way the eating disorders are illinesses too http://www.dsm5.org/documents/eating disorders fact sheet.pdf so it should be cured too.
Of course I don't expect that someone with Narcissistic Personality Disorder could understand and emphathize with other people with behavioural problems, but I'll never repay with the same condescending and emphaty-lacking money.

Mike - If you are suggesting that bariatric surgery would, wholesale, cure eating disorders than I'm afrain you appear to be misguided. I feel you would be astonished by how many calories a person having had this style of surgery can manage to consume in a day, if they either want to, or indeed, by virtue of their eating disorder are compelled to.

I'm unsure whom you are suggesting has Narcissistic Personality Disorder (NPD), but if it's me, I can assure you I might be eccentric, and at times, left field, but I don't have NPD.

If it's not me you are inferring has NPD, I'm not asking you to declare whom it might be.

Reactions: hankjam

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Humma - I'm not going to enter into a heated exchange with you. You have obviously not encountered any of the issues the more empathetic, and some might suggest more fully informed posters are showing, so I guess may not be able to grasp what people are saying. However, I would ask you to respect those who are trying their hardest to resolve issues they may have themselves,or be witnessing in their loved ones or friends.

I acknowledge that some people will lack the drive and enthusiasm to make an effort to Change, but blindly lumping everyone with a certain outward appearance together and making what will be, to some, grossly insulting remarks is very unhelpful. Please desist.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Humma exercise isnt everything. I had 4 children and now raising my 2 grand children. I used to walk in excess of 30 hours a week when my kids were little and when diagnosed in 2014 I was still walking those 30+ hours a week. I now generally only walk just over 10 hours a week but I have my diabetes under control because of diet. Exercise is important but it is not the.most important, diet is. It is easy to look at others and judge, the one thing I have learnt is to step back and think before I speak.

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Humma I truly hope you never find yourself in life changing circumstances, such as a stroke, or road traffic accident, because I don't think you would cope. Bully for you that you go to the gym, I do too, but it is not the silver bullet, indeed the 80/20 rule applies here and exercise is the 20.
I was at my Drs surgery for a flu jab today, when I came out there was a car next to mine, a man was trying his hardest to get a woman into the car, she did not understand what was required as she had advanced dementia. He kept apologising to me, I told him there was no need and to take all the time needed. I tried not to distract the woman, who was younger than me, in her early 50's. Both of their lives had been abversly affected by her dementia, not only life changing for her, but him too, who found himself in the enforced role of carer 24 hours a day. By going for a flu jab her routine had been turned upside down. From what you have posted so far, I would bet the farm that you would rant and rage at her 'wasting you time'
Try a little humility, compassion, and understanding of others for once, and no, you cant buy any of those in the shops

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I merely want to make the point is, my own weight reduction & stability is due only to the change I made a year ago to my diet having followed the Newcstle Diet to get a now normal BS. I did it through diet alone.

I just make the point that I didn't hear this view made once during the programme. The importance of diet was ignored.

I don't think that was the point the program was trying to make.
It was just taking a number of examples and telling it like it was for them now.... and the NHS.

Good for you on diet alone.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You're all going to have to trust me on this as I'm not showing...

I have a pretty impressive six pack and proud to say I never been to a gym.:)

Sad to say though.... I have no medals / cups :(

Reactions: Bluetit1802