The Hyper effect

iHs

In terms of carbs, the meals are all high in fibre, plenty of fruit and veg plus the proteins. Every day I start with a bowl of porridge oats and fruit. Plus, slice of my own baked brown bread, or a high fibre oat, nut and fruit 'breakfast biscuit'. Freshly squeezed orange juice, and only discovered recently that it is not pushing up the sugar readings.
Mid-day is two slices of my own high-fibre bread - no white flour used - plus salads etc. Evening meals are all similar with slow releasing carbs. Anything other than the slow releasing types of carbs will simply hike my sugar levels. All the time looking for the slow release. When I increase both the foods and the insulins, the hypos will inevitably catch up.

porridge oats tend to make bg levels go up like a rocket for me and if I also had fruit on top......well I'd be up to 15mmol easily and would need to sweat buckets doing exercise.

could you try using some crushed up almonds and a small amount of oat porridge which would create a more healthy breakfast......very easy to do......2 dsp of porridge with 2 dsp of crushed almonds. Put in cereal bowl, pour bowling water from kettle to cover the mix, leave stand for 10mins so that the water is absorbed and then add 1 dsp plain yogurt, stir in to create a lovely creamy dish. It's not high in carb, is filling and the almonds tend to control bg levels a lot better

iHs

Why use home made high fibre bread when it's causing you to get bad bg control?
Try buying Lidl high protein bread rolls which are very filling and more lower in carb.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Try buying Lidl high protein bread rolls which are very filling and more lower in carb.
Exactly, high fibre means nothing. Even after the deduction is factored in - the end result is still carbs of some sorts. A meal may have a 'high fibre' content; but if the total carb value is pretty high - then it's kind of counterproductive.

Last edited:

iHs

Exactly, high fibre means nothing. Even after the deduction is factored in - the end result is still carbs of some sorts. A meal may have a 'high fibre' content; but if the total carb value is pretty high - then it's kind of counterproductive.

Exactly......a lot of NHS dietary guidance doesn't do diabetics a lot of good and what's the good of bg testing if no one adjusts their insulin or their diet?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Are you aware that the more carbs ate, the more insulin you have to have but most importantly the greater the opportunity for error... healthier eating for T1's can be scrambled egg on a toasted lidl roll with some ham and cheese and spinach. Or bacon and eggs for breakfast. Porridge is not necessarily what is good for a T1 breakfast as @iHs states it can give bigger swings and by the sounds of it you are getting swings in your levels.

Making and eating your own bread is no better really than shop bought... its not the fibre content you should be worried about.. its the carb qty...

Higher fibre veg etc can just lean towards more carbs.. same with friit.

Above ground veg for T1's is good... and less carbs than root veg. Spinach has an amazing amount of goodness in it and can so quickly be cooked or put on salads.

Nuts are good nutitionally.

Really the choice of food that you are having could be improved to help your blood levels.

Its only our advice.. NHS and their eatwell plate is not the best nutitionally.

Theres so much help out there with books like "think lime a pancreas" etc.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
That is what I'm going to call my citrus edition diabetic cookbook:)

Wish I could like from my mobile!! Lol.. ". think like a pancreas!!! "

Colquig

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Are you aware that the more carbs ate, the more insulin you have to have but most importantly the greater the opportunity for error... healthier eating for T1's can be scrambled egg on a toasted lidl roll with some ham and cheese and spinach. Or bacon and eggs for breakfast. Porridge is not necessarily what is good for a T1 breakfast as @iHs states it can give bigger swings and by the sounds of it you are getting swings in your levels.

Making and eating your own bread is no better really than shop bought... its not the fibre content you should be worried about.. its the carb qty...

Higher fibre veg etc can just lean towards more carbs.. same with friit.

Above ground veg for T1's is good... and less carbs than root veg. Spinach has an amazing amount of goodness in it and can so quickly be cooked or put on salads.

Nuts are good nutitionally.

Really the choice of food that you are having could be improved to help your blood levels.

Its only our advice.. NHS and their eatwell plate is not the best nutitionally.

Theres so much help out there with books like "think lime a pancreas" etc.

Interesting. Thanks for that info.

Colquig

Type of diabetes
Type 1
porridge oats tend to make bg levels go up like a rocket for me and if I also had fruit on top......well I'd be up to 15mmol easily and would need to sweat buckets doing exercise.

could you try using some crushed up almonds and a small amount of oat porridge which would create a more healthy breakfast......very easy to do......2 dsp of porridge with 2 dsp of crushed almonds. Put in cereal bowl, pour bowling water from kettle to cover the mix, leave stand for 10mins so that the water is absorbed and then add 1 dsp plain yogurt, stir in to create a lovely creamy dish. It's not high in carb, is filling and the almonds tend to control bg levels a lot better
Your reaction to the oats really proves that everyone is different. I eat large bowl of the porridge and keeps me going till 11 in the morning, the time that I require a mid-morning snack.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
At one point and not too long ago, was told by health professional to cut out bacon, sausage, egg etc before midday. I have stuck religiously to that advice!!

Why? If that was all you eating- no fried bread, no toast, no orange juice, no baked beans etc.. why was a midday rule suggested?

Never heard of that before..just find that interesting that decades of a full english breakfast should be not ate until after midday? My goodness that to me is odd. My diabetic uncle.. now 86 has had full breakfast cooked for him since he left school and became a plumber and boy he was and still is as fit as a butchers dog. My aunty still cooks this everyday for him.. as breakfast. He doesn't have baked beans or bread.
He has always had a meat and veg dinner and Aunty very regimented with his food and carbs kept to minimum...

I find that advice staggering.

Colquig

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Why? If that was all you eating- no fried bread, no toast, no orange juice, no baked beans etc.. why was a midday rule suggested?

Never heard of that before..just find that interesting that decades of a full english breakfast should be not ate until after midday? My goodness that to me is odd. My diabetic uncle.. now 86 has had full breakfast cooked for him since he left school and became a plumber and boy he was and still is as fit as a butchers dog. My aunty still cooks this everyday for him.. as breakfast. He doesn't have baked beans or bread.
He has always had a meat and veg dinner and Aunty very regimented with his food and carbs kept to minimum...

I find that advice staggering.
I know. Food for Thought!!! Diabetic care - a complex business. Everybody's metabolism is so different. I have always struggles to get my HBA1 levels down. That is most likely the biggest issue for me.

Colquig

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Interesting. I can see what is going in to my own home-made brown bread. But thanks for that suggestion.

Colquig

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Folks, a lot of food for thought as I munch through a handful of Lidl's salted almonds. Thanks again.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Your reaction to the oats really proves that everyone is different. I eat large bowl of the porridge and keeps me going till 11 in the morning, the time that I require a mid-morning snack.

When you say the porridge "keeps you going" what does that mean in terms of your blood sugar? Do you check after meals to see what effect they have had on your blood sugar?

Just a thought if you are keen to get hba1c down - if you know what blood sugar is doing then you are half way towards doing something to get in under control, whether by adjusting insulin dose, or timing, or what you are eating (although personally I'd exhaust options 1 & 2 first, because I like food... :) )

Colquig

Type of diabetes
Type 1
When you say the porridge "keeps you going" what does that mean in terms of your blood sugar? Do you check after meals to see what effect they have had on your blood sugar?

Just a thought if you are keen to get hba1c down - if you know what blood sugar is doing then you are half way towards doing something to get in under control, whether by adjusting insulin dose, or timing, or what you are eating (although personally I'd exhaust options 1 & 2 first, because I like food... :) )
I can move quickly from a four to an eleven and back again. Depending on the amount of exercise I expend. Bit like a yo yo, but it is very difficult to get the BG'S really steady. I have been trying to achieve that effect for many years now.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
"When you require a mid morning snack"-also confuses me..

Why do you need a mid morning snack?

Cut the carbs and cut the cravings.. you wouldn't "need" a mid morning snack.

No diabetic should need a midmorning snack if their blood levels are sorted out by doing basal testing occasionally.

Either way "need" is not good.. it indicates either cravings or uncontrolled levels....

We wouldn't necessarily advise this fried breakfast everyday but theres alternatives like yogurt with blueberries/raspberries/fruits of forest etc. Cheaply purchased frozen, put some in a ramekin overnight to defrost and add yogurt or cream in the morning. Melons are reasonably low carb to have as an alternative and can be prepared well in advance.

I think I'm concerned that you say you've always struggled to bring your hba1c down... well I'm a moderate low carber and have been vast majority of adult life.. my trouble has been to keep my hba1c up!! This just leads me to think that it is food related.. we are what we eat....whether diabetic or not.

Colquig

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Just been given the new Free Style Libre blood monitoring device as part of a trial group. Once on the arm, the hand held glucose monitor can give an immediate sugar reading with a swipe above the sensor. The sensor is placed on the underside of the upper arm. It has really been amazing and the sugars have been steadying somewhat. The sensor remains active for exactly 14 days and then needs to be replaced. The downside of course is the expense. i have not pricked my fingers in 2 weeks. Tomorrow is my last day of the first 14. So yes, I have been getting those blood sugars between 4 and 9/10 before and after meals on a fairly regular basis.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
9/10 before and after meals on a fairly regular basis is too high...
These are the NICE guidelines... they say max after a meal is 9.0... for many of us that is far too high.

Blood glucose targets1.6.13 Advise adults with type 1 diabetes to aim for:a fasting plasma glucose level of 5–7 mmol/litre on waking anda plasma glucose level of 4–7 mmol/litre before meals at other times of the day. [new 2015]1.6.14 Advise adults with type 1 diabetes who choose to test after meals to aim for a plasma glucose level of 5–9 mmol/litre at least 90 minutes after eating. (This timing may be different in pregnancy – for guidance on plasma glucose targets in pregnancy, see the NICE guideline on diabetes in pregnancy.) [new 2015]1.6.15 Agree bedtime target plasma glucose levels with each adult with type 1 diabetes that take into account timing of the last meal and its related insulin dose, and are consistent with the recommended fasting level on waking (seerecommendation 1.6.13). [new 2015]

Libres have been given to many patients for them to trial. And yes the reader is good. I only have one hand to test my fingers on so it has been great for me as I test 10-15 times a day...so my few usable fingers were really sore.

Not only the levels but you should be trying to keep your readings altering by minimal amounts. Ideally if you measure pre meal and after meal you would want to see less than a 2.8 rise or drop in levels really. Its the swings that can cause probs. Hypo's can be more "harsh" the quicker levels are changing...