The impact on our children

Lucie75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Something got me thinking the other day about how my diabetes is 'the norm' for my children. I've always had it as far as they're concerned and they think nothing of me testing or sticking needles in myself or any of that stuff. I sometimes think how lucky they are that they're exposed to life with diabetes, without actually having it themselves - they will grow up with a complete understanding of how diabetes works (in my son's case he's already very knowledgeable at age 9). It's no big deal to them, it's a normal part of life. My son came home from school one day a few weeks ago and told me that he'd been telling one of his friends about my pump (!!) and the insulin etc and his friends had no clue what he was talking about. I wouldn't expect them to (why would they?!?) but it hit home that this is actually a really good experience for him. He knows what a hypo is, how to treat one, how to test me if I'm being difficult (which is very rarely nowadays) and he knows what all the numbers mean. I'm not talking him up or anything - I'm just trying to say how diabetes aware children are who have a parent/sibling with it. Every cloud has a silver lining...

mrburden

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That is all very true and, came at just the right time for me.
I've been having a bit of a 'downer' this week, just trying to do a very simple job on my lad's bike. I couldn't kneel down to work on it 'cos I have to take my prosthetic leg off each time, couldn't see clearly in the garage due to having no light (and being registered blind!)and every time I tried to do the job outside...it rained. I have been cursing this bloody diabetes and how it affects my lads and wife, but it's true, they do know so much more about life and the reality of living with problems. And they just accept it as normal. It's certainly chjaracter building for them!!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I agree with what you say Lucie, you must be so proud of your lad :)