The insulin index

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I believe it is about time that we introduced the insulin index into our forum and then maybe use it as a sticky.

I'm tagging @Brunneria @Administrator @CherryAA @bulkbiker @Bluetit1802 @Robinredbreast
If any others can help please don't be shy, I think this is a different way of looking at food instead of the glycaemic index.
Using this index along with glucose monitoring.

Many thanks.

Reactions: kokhongw

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Trouble is at the moment we don't yet have an easy way of measuring..
But I think it would be great if those of us that are interested can get tested and publish their results.
If anyone wants to get one Medichecks sent me a money off code (my name) for people to get £15.00 off their first order..
I am happy to disseminate via private message (I'll need your email address I think so I can forward you the money off offer).
Just let me know. No idea how long the offer is valid for...

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Lamont D
Am I being thick? (highly likely) do you mean the insulin index for food or our own insulin levels?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Personally I find the insulin index to be far more valuable than the GI/GL

https://public.tableau.com/profile/christoffer.green#!/vizhome/InsulinogenicFoodData/Dashboard1

Thanks @Lamont D for starting this thread. It is becoming more and more accepted that too much insulin causes our problems, as least as much as too much glucose.

Thanks for posting that @Kristin251 . I have only seen partial scatter graphs that were difficult to follow and only had a small selection of foods. This one is very comprehensive, so thank you. I am pleased to say most of my foods are at the low end, but some will need investigating.

Do you aim for a particular maximum (or does anyone else)? Do you take notice of the nutrition values in deciding how high you could go on the index?

Last edited:

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have seen that one as well. Between the two links it's pretty complete.

GO butter and avocado!!!

I do find that it is far more accurate and helpful than GI\ GL as I said. Some of the foods that I would t think would spike me ( cucumber for example) are high in the insulin index. And I naturally gravitate toward low II foods like Macs and pecans over other nuts. Avo

Strange carrots are so low. I use one baby one for a mild hypo haha. Wish peanuts were on there. I really don't eat them any way but just curious

Reactions: ickihun

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have seen that one as well. Between the two links it's pretty complete.

GO butter and avocado!!!

I do find that it is far more accurate and helpful than GI\ GL as I said. Some of the foods that I would t think would spike me ( cucumber for example) are high in the insulin index. And I naturally gravitate toward low II foods like Macs and pecans over other nuts. Avo

Strange carrots are so low. I use one baby one for a mild hypo haha. Wish peanuts were on there. I really don't eat them any way but just curious
peanuts -1 29 599 1.2 on the therapeutic ketosis table..

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I believe it is about time that we introduced the insulin index into our forum and then maybe use it as a sticky.

I'm tagging @Brunneria @Administrator @CherryAA @bulkbiker @Bluetit1802 @Robinredbreast
If any others can help please don't be shy, I think this is a different way of looking at food instead of the glycaemic index.
Using this index along with glucose monitoring.

Many thanks.

I agree wholeheartedly. It's a more complete measure. For example identifying the difference between whole milk ( low) and skimmed milk ( high ) .

Hyperinsulinaemia (high insulin ) is connected to practically every disease on the planet, so explaining how to help people get their own insulin levels lower could be beneficial to many.

I think we should also be campaigning for fasting insulin to be a normal health service blood test and even if we gt nowhere with that, we should be making it easy for people to understand why it matters and how to get it tested themselves in the absence of official assistance.

Reactions: kokhongw

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree wholeheartedly. It's a more complete measure. For example identifying the difference between whole milk ( low) and skimmed milk ( high ) .

Hyperinsulinaemia (high insulin ) is connected to practically every disease on the planet, so explaining how to help people get their own insulin levels lower could be beneficial to many.

I think we should also be campaigning for fasting insulin to be a normal health service blood test and even if we gt nowhere with that, we should be making it easy for people to understand why it matters and how to get it tested themselves in the absence of official assistance.
I asked for a fasting insulin test pre DX and was told " I don't even know what that is". Should have been a clue to switch docs!!

I eat the way I do so I can take the smallest amounts of insulin that I can for exactly this reason, it's connected to every disease. However, it hasn't always been well excepted with the type 1 can eat anything they want as long as they cover it with insulin. As this is completely true, it's not necessarily a healthy way to go. But that is MY belief and that's the story I'm sticking to. I've always tried to eat a healthy diet, get good exercise etc. Theough the years of course I followed some of the fad diets. HCLF being the absolute worst for me. I was a balloon and miserable. Finally found Atkins and have remained on a healthier / higher quality food version of the induction phase since then.

Reactions: ickihun

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I asked for a fasting insulin test pre DX and was told " I don't even know what that is". Should have been a clue to switch docs!!

I eat the way I do so I can take the smallest amounts of insulin that I can for exactly this reason, it's connected to every disease. However, it hasn't always been well excepted with the type 1 can eat anything they want as long as they cover it with insulin. As this is completely true, it's not necessarily a healthy way to go. But that is MY belief and that's the story I'm sticking to. I've always tried to eat a healthy diet, get good exercise etc. Theough the years of course I followed some of the fad diets. HCLF being the absolute worst for me. I was a balloon and miserable. Finally found Atkins and have remained on a healthier / higher quality food version of the induction phase since then.

My own doctor responded in exactly the same way when I asked for one. he also suggested on diagnosis that I needed to go onto insulin injections. So he wanted to give me more insulin.

My own fasting insulin score was still 20 six months after I had begun LCHF , after I had already lost 25kg of weight. ( under 5 maybe even 4 is optimal) . It is still 8 after 12 months and I expect it could take another year to bring ti down to where it should be. My blood glucose readings were close to non diabetic at 6 months so on the surface all looks well !

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My own doctor responded in exactly the same way when I asked for one. he also suggested on diagnosis that I needed to go onto insulin injections. So he wanted to give me more insulin.

My own fasting insulin score was still 20 six months after I had begun LCHF , after I had already lost 25kg of weight. ( under 5 maybe even 4 is optimal) . It is still 8 after 12 months and I expect it could take another year to bring ti down to where it should be. My blood glucose readings were close to non diabetic at 6 months so on the surface all looks well !
Perhaps your one meal a day plan will slap that right back into place!

My c peptide 2 years ago was .6 with a reference range of 1.1-4.4.
I just work on keeping my bg steady and my stomach happy and this requires low insulin needs. So I guess it all works out in the end

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Perhaps your one meal a day plan will slap that right back into place!

My c peptide 2 years ago was .6 with a reference range of 1.1-4.4.
I just work on keeping my bg steady and my stomach happy and this requires low insulin needs. So I guess it all works out in the end

Well that is what it was designed to do ! so lets hope so!

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
http://www.mendosa.com/blog/?p=3624

this is an interesting blog on the subject because it gies some examples of processed foods compared to natural foods and what happens with low fat foods -where the insulin index score is much higher than the glycaemic load.