The One Thing I'm Concerned About Is Sleep

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
Thanks for raising this Kevin, I am not alone either! I dont go to be much before midnight, but am always up with the birds these days

At least it's starting to feel like a new "normal":) so I for one am going to see this as a positive rather than my initial worry:)

Diagnosed 13/4/16: T2, no meds, HbA1c 53, FBG 12.6, Trigs 3.6, HDL .75, LDL 4.0, BP 169/95, 13st 8lbs, waist 34" (2012 - 17st 7lbs, w 42").

6/6/16: FBG AV 4.6, Trigs 1.5, HDL 2.0, LDL 3.0, BP 112/68, BPM 66, 11st 11lbs, waist 30". Lifelong migraines and hay fever gone.

Regime: 20g LCHF, run 1 mile daily, weekly fasting.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
To sleep, perchance to dream. Are you dreaming?

Yes dreams are as vivid as usual.

Diagnosed 13/4/16: T2, no meds, HbA1c 53, FBG 12.6, Trigs 3.6, HDL .75, LDL 4.0, BP 169/95, 13st 8lbs, waist 34" (2012 - 17st 7lbs, w 42").

6/6/16: FBG AV 4.6, Trigs 1.5, HDL 2.0, LDL 3.0, BP 112/68, BPM 66, 11st 11lbs, waist 30". Lifelong migraines and hay fever gone.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
When it comes to sleeping...I am beginning to think that getting back in sync with our circadian rhythm is the final key to fully restore our health...much of our modern lifestyle (artificial lighting/shift work/night feeding etc) has disrupted our natural rhythm...

https://translational-medicine.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1479-5876-12-79

I think that's likely. Put the correct fuel in and the body sorts itself out more often than not:)

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
A 6ft 5in MiniMe?

Haha.... That is big:)

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I usually wake with the dawn. There used to be a big old Beech tree in a neighbour's garden which must have had a lot of nesting or roosting birds in it, because the Dawn chorus was always loud and would wake me up shortly before daylight. It was cut down as it had become rotten, and the birds moved on. I miss being woken by them, but I still wake as it gets light. That means I don't wake until after 8am in the winter, but at the moment I'm waking at around 4.30am. I don't seem to get too tired with only around 5-6 hours sleep, though in the winter it's usually 8 hours. I've been going out walking at 5am.
I do feel more energetic when it's sunny. More to do with the sun stimulating the pineal gland than LCHF I think.

Last edited by a moderator:

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I usually wake with the dawn. There used to be a big old Beech tree in a neighbour's garden which must have had a lot of nesting or roosting birds in it, because the Dawn chorus was always loud and would wake me up shortly before daylight. It was cut down as it had become rotten, and the birds moved on. I miss being woken by them, but I still wake as it gets light. That means I don't wake until after 8am in the winter, but at the moment I'm waking at around 4.30am. I don't seem to get too tired with only around 6 hours sleep, though in the winter it's usually 8 hours. I've been going out walking at 5am.
I do feel more energetic when it's sunny. More to do with the sun stimulating the pineal gland than LCHF I think.

Me too... I love it...for me it's without doubt the best part of the day:)

14/6/16: FBG AV 4.6, Trigs 1.5, HDL 2.0, LDL 3.0, BP 112/68, BPM 66, 11st 7lbs, waist 30". Lifelong migraines and hay fever gone.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I love the early mornings, it's the best time of day for me as I'm starting out with a bag full of spoons (or for me read Acetylcholine).

Reactions: 3 people

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The not so healthy things are not getting REM sleep, not having dreams at all remembered, no reluctance upon waking at same time, having night terrors (waking and screaming from nightmares) and having breathing problems like snoring during sleep. Any of those, you need a sleep study and or sleep diary.

Thank goodness I don't have any of these symptoms:)

14/6/16: FBG AV 4.6, Trigs 1.5, HDL 2.0, LDL 3.0, BP 112/68, BPM 66, 11st 7lbs, waist 30". Lifelong migraines and hay fever gone.

Reactions: 2 people

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
having breathing problems like snoring during sleep.
I used to snore really loudly, waking myself up sometimes! And had neighbour knocking on wall a couple of times. I seem to have stopped snoring since losing weight with LCHF.

Reactions: 4 people

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I used to snore really loudly, waking myself up sometimes! And had neighbour knocking on wall a couple of times. I seem to have stopped snoring since losing weight with LCHF.

Wow that made me laugh:)... Sorry but you must have been so loud :)

15/6/16: FBG AV 4.6, Trigs 1.5, HDL 2.0, LDL 3.0, BP 112/68, BPM 66, 11st 5lbs, waist 30", PWV 7.0. Lifelong migraines and hay fever gone.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I've had vivid dreams and sweats but thought hormonal.
Having blood test today, so I should know soon.
Up early most mornings. I thought it was my thyroid improving.
It can go the other way so be careful. Especially if your having muscle aches.

debbiedoodles

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yep me too! I average around 5 hours. I don't feel tired though. I often woke after 5 hours before Lchf and felt terrible.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Yep me too! I average around 5 hours. I don't feel tired though. I often woke after 5 hours before Lchf and felt terrible.

Prior to my change of lifestyle I used to sleep until 7AM every morning, but generally felt "foggy", my energy levels now are incredible:)

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum mobile app

ray2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So glad to read this thread. I'm T2 on Metformin but trying really hard with the diet thing but not in a structured way(but have lost at least a stone and a half). For quite a while I've been waking about 4:30 walking the dog at 5:30 (much to his surprise!) and the other day after walking him I was in the garden before breakfast and then to work !!!
I really thought I was going nuts (and my wife did!) I am getting away with less than 6 hrs sleep and feeling good (weekends included) From what everyone is saying it all makes sense now.

Reactions: 8 people

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
So glad to read this thread. I'm T2 on Metformin but trying really hard with the diet thing but not in a structured way(but have lost at least a stone and a half). For quite a while I've been waking about 4:30 walking the dog at 5:30 (much to his surprise!) and the other day after walking him I was in the garden before breakfast and then to work !!!
I really thought I was going nuts (and my wife did!) I am getting away with less than 6 hrs sleep and feeling good (weekends included) From what everyone is saying it all makes sense now.

Great to hear about the weight loss...that just leaves being bonkers like the rest of us early risers on LCHF:)

lindisfel

Expert
You need sleep Kevin to get rid of the amyloid plaques in the brain, that is probably why Thatcher got dementia. Sleep washes the plaques away. D.
My signature says it all....happy days and moving in the right direction post diagnosis of T2 and Metabolic Syndrome on the 13 April 2016:)

Just one thing remains a current concern.....SLEEP!

The healthier I am becoming, the less sleep I seem to need and yet that is absolutely at odds with every single piece of advice I have read....and I've read a lot:)

I've always been an early riser - did a morning paper round from 10-18 years old arriving at the shop at 6AM, so that was my habit formation and I go to bed about 10pm and sleep soonish after, once I've read a little, no later than say 11pm.

But since starting my LCHF (20 g carbs per day) diet around 8 weeks ago, I've woken up between 4.45AM and 6AM, EVERY SINGLE MORNING:)....

And I am like Tigger....as bright as a button:)

Now I am aware of the great and the good that have apparently thrived on 3-4 hours sleep night, Mrs Thatcher et al....but I'm not convinced it's healthy.

Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
You need sleep Kevin to get rid of the amyloid plaques in the brain, that is probably why Thatcher got dementia. Sleep washes the plaques away. D.

I read that and that's why I posted originally.

I get about 5.5 to 6.5 hours a night since starting LCHF, but then I'm fully awake and ready to go.

Really not sure what to do:)

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@KevinPotts , I'm going slightly off-topic with this, but I've just seen your updated signature - what incredible results!
:)