The results are in

Buttons11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed in Feb, given metformin and gliclazide in March. Stopped taking them around the end of April (much to my DN's disgust - she threatened me with insulin if I wouldn't take the tablets!) I have been low carbing almost since diagnosis.
Since my last blood test I have spent 10 weeks in Turkey, eating low carb over there was pretty much a challenge in itself, but I did pretty well about not giving in to temptation.
The result shows in the blood test I had last week. HbA1c is now 42, great when compared to 129 six months ago, but I wish I'd got it down that extra point into non diabetic... Maybe I'm one of those people who are never happy :)

Also today I had the results of my first eye screening. It apparently showed slight retinopathy but does not require any treatment at the moment. It's the same standard letter my mother in law got after hers.

Sam50

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed in Feb, given metformin and gliclazide in March. Stopped taking them around the end of April (much to my DN's disgust - she threatened me with insulin if I wouldn't take the tablets!) I have been low carbing almost since diagnosis.
Since my last blood test I have spent 10 weeks in Turkey, eating low carb over there was pretty much a challenge in itself, but I did pretty well about not giving in to temptation.
The result shows in the blood test I had last week. HbA1c is now 42, great when compared to 129 six months ago, but I wish I'd got it down that extra point into non diabetic... Maybe I'm one of those people who are never happy :)

Also today I had the results of my first eye screening. It apparently showed slight retinopathy but does not require any treatment at the moment. It's the same standard letter my mother in law got after hers.
wow- congratulations that's excellent and inspiring to newbies. Well done on not taking the medication too-you obviously didn't need them x

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done. Your diabetes nurse must have been shocked and just how your sugar levels have dropped. In most cases people with type 2 don’t lower their blood sugars. They just keep taking more and more pills and eat the same high carb food as before.

My diabetes nurse was amazed when My HbA1C dropped from 99 to 59 in three months. I managed to get it down to 44 three months later. I am hoping to go below 42 next time. I was a little worried after stopping all medication, but my fasting sugar levels are usually in the 5-6 range except just after waking when they are a little higher. I found intermittent fasting helpful to keep blood sugars low and to lose weight.

Buttons11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done. Your diabetes nurse must have been shocked and just how your sugar levels have dropped. In most cases people with type 2 don’t lower their blood sugars. They just keep taking more and more pills and eat the same high carb food as before..

I got my results on line this afternoon. I haven't made an appointment to see the DN. She is just useless, I found her really negative. The nurse who took the blood asked if I had an appointment and when I said no, she said if there were any problems someone from the surgery would contact me, otherwise not to worry. It will be interesting to see if she does contact me. I doubt it though!

Reactions: Prem51

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I got my results on line this afternoon. I haven't made an appointment to see the DN. She is just useless, I found her really negative. The nurse who took the blood asked if I had an appointment and when I said no, she said if there were any problems someone from the surgery would contact me, otherwise not to worry. It will be interesting to see if she does contact me. I doubt it though!
Congratulations from me too. A very well done :) :) :)

Reactions: Buttons11

Buttons11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I just had a phone call from the surgery. The DN would like to see me about my blood test results, but the next available appointment is 2nd October!!!!!!!!!!! I asked the receptionist if it was really worth waiting all that time, and she said there is no one else who can see me. I don't know whether to laugh or cry :banghead:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I just had a phone call from the surgery. The DN would like to see me about my blood test results, but the next available appointment is 2nd October!!!!!!!!!!! I asked the receptionist if it was really worth waiting all that time, and she said there is no one else who can see me. I don't know whether to laugh or cry :banghead:

Buttons - Do your surgery do telephone appointments? Mine do, and I have to say I find them very convenient for discussing anything not requiring a physical examination, and I can usually have a telephone appointment much more quickly than anything face-to-face.

Buttons11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Buttons - Do your surgery do telephone appointments? Mine do, and I have to say I find them very convenient for discussing anything not requiring a physical examination, and I can usually have a telephone appointment much more quickly than anything face-to-face.
No they don't. I don't know why as they seem to be a good idea. I once phoned asking to speak to the duty doctor and was told he would only speak to someone concerning a life threatening emergency (which this wasn't). It seems common sense to me to spend a couple of minutes on the phone rather than 10+ minutes in the surgery.
My practice is under special measures though, as they failed their last inspection, so I don't expect too much from them.
Having had time to consider it, I can't help feeling that if I'm doing something wrong then waiting 7 weeks to tell me almost amounts to neglect. On the other hand, if she wants to tell me I'm doing OK :) I'd rather give my appointment to someone who needs it more.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
That's an impressive reduction in just 6 months @Buttons11! I'm sure you will be below 42 next test, so don't feel bad about not hitting it this time. I hope your GP and DN are impressed too, they should be! :)

Reactions: Buttons11

deClare

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hey Buttons11 congrats on your results! :happy:
Can I ask you if you are following a specific programme for your low carb?