The smell of insulin?...Good or Bad??

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
So many people tell me they hate the smell of insulin. To me, it's not that bad. I wouldn't say it was pleasant, yet it does not bother me. A tiny hint like aromatic hydrocarbon, bit like a solvent.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Someone said it smelt like Whisky, I dislike the smell of whisky :yuck: but it does the job by keeping me alive, so that's the main thing.

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It wasn't until someone else commented on it that I had a sniff and realised it has a smell.

PansyP

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
For me it's unpleasant but only if I feel the urge to sniff it!

PansyP

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Leslie, any possibility you can change your avatar. It makes me feel miserable!

DiabeticDadUK

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
To me, it smells like Germolene - that pink stuff your mum would put on your scabby knees as a kid. I don't notice it unless I have a good sniff.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
So many people tell me they hate the smell of insulin. To me, it's not that bad. I wouldn't say it was pleasant, yet it does not bother me

It's got its own distinctive smell, struggle to compare it to anything else. Much like yourself @leslie10152 I neither hate or like the smell.

Someone said it smelt like Whisky, I dislike the smell of whisky :yuck: but it does the job by keeping me alive, so that's the main thing.

So agree its the main thing, but smelling like whisky.....................really :rolleyes:

Reactions: kitsunerin
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
It's got its own distinctive smell, struggle to compare it to anything else. Much like yourself @leslie10152 I neither hate or like the smell.

So agree its the main thing, but smelling like whisky.....................really :rolleyes:

Not my quote and when I did smell it, there is a similarly and both are :yuck:

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So many people tell me they hate the smell of insulin. To me, it's not that bad. I wouldn't say it was pleasant, yet it does not bother me. A tiny hint like aromatic hydrocarbon, bit like a solvent.

Now you mention it?!? "Solvent." I've never had any comments about the smell of insulin.
.... But then I did used to hang out with "punks."

Leslie, any possibility you can change your avatar. It makes me feel miserable!

Realy? I see a guy taking time out to "muse" on life. I see carful thought & optimism.... :cool:

Spencer67

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs and Blue Meanies
I don't likes it, if i gets it on me i have to wash it off straight away. to me it smells a bit like hospitals, weirdly. urrggghhh.

Grumpy ole thing

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
discovering you cant actually turn the stairs round, or move the roof...
Does insulin have a smell? I kinda thought it had some kind of disinfectant in it to keep everything clean and that's what the smell was? I don't really notice it, as there's only ever a tiny amount outside the unit, but yes @Spencer67; the smell is like a hospital to me too.

Reactions: Spencer67

Winterwatch

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I noticed it the first time I injected after leaving the hospital post-diagnosis. For a while, I couldn't work out why the smell of hospital had followed me home.

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Never noticed the smell of Insulin so can not say :)

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Foodwise Nuts & Mushrooms (Vomit)
I'm gonna buck the trend on here

I don't find the smell unpleasant, it does have a old style hospital smell

I can think of far worse smells

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I have worked the Hospitals and found their smell definately healthy...chuckles but i have tried to smell the Insulin and can not so am wondering if a certain type of Inulin smells?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I have worked the Hospitals and found their smell definately healthy...chuckles but i have tried to smell the Insulin and can not so am wondering if a certain type of Inulin smells?

Animal, Human & Analogue insulin's all have that distinctive smell @PatsyB , even after 35 years I can still smell it.

Jordi77

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Insulin to me has a good smell as you can tell when you are using it and I can't see how it can smell of vinegar as it has a better smell then that and you can smell vinegar from a distance and insulin you can't

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Animal, Human & Analogue insulin's all have that distinctive smell @PatsyB , even after 35 years I can still smell it.[/

just goes to show then some of us do not mind the smell as for me I can nto smell it and have just tried to smell it