The Truth About Fat

Daks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm hoping by now most of us have watched this BBC documentary, I did see DeeJayR started a thread about fat In blood but the science on that thread hurt my brain, so I was hoping to restart this discussion and see what the general consensuses is of the experiments that were carried out, in a more layman's fashion.

Needless to say the docu was / is the be all and end all of what is wrong and right, but it certainly played out legit. It was comforting for me personally to know that the LCHF has received a thumbs up in that being afraid of the big bad fat monster is wrong and in fact we should all be eating the right fats, including some forms of saturated fats which are good for us, particularly those found in dairy produce.

Do you think the docu was a step in the right direction ?

Reactions: 2 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Lots of dairy made my cholesterol raise in all shapes...
In next two weeks going to have them restested after conentrating on avocado n olives n cutting the cream and cheese.

Still to watch programme tonight

Reactions: 4 people

uart

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Can anyone post a link to this documentary that people outside the UK can view. The BBC website doesn't allow viewing of this content if you're not in the UK.

I'm not sure if anyone has the capacity to save and upload it. For example I recently recorded some content from our ABC and uploaded it to my google drive account because I thought some here might be interested. You can view (or download if you prefer) my videos here: http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/interesting-low-carb-video.73993/#post-805421

Is there any chance that someone can do likewise with this video?

Last edited by a moderator:

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I thought the program was useless and much inferior to the first two programs. The 1 hour was filled with irrelevant 'filler' yet left out many measurements, explanations and so. The only conclusion was that you need to eat some fat as part of the diet; what a surprise and a complete waste of time.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
It did mention that it wasn't fat that made you fat but carbs n sugar too.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Also said that dairy may be better but (sausage- bet you they weren't 95% fat!), bacon and pies may not be so good..

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Is there any chance that someone can do likewise with this video?
Sorry, BBC don't allow it and they are technically proficient. So it's technically difficult to rip because you can only view with the BBC's proprietary player. The best way to view BBC content from outside the country is to use a IP proxy to a UK IP address. As your name is uart I am guessing you are technical? If not, basically forget it unless you can find a torrent of it or similar somewhere.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I watched it, or rather watched the first part and was then interrupted by the need to feed the sheep so will watch the rest today, by using a program that tells the BBC I'm in the UK while I'm actually in Scandinavia. I can pretend to be in the US or in the Netherlands or whatever and find it very useful.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you use Chrome, there's a free extension called Zenmate that allows you to select IPs from various countries. Comes in quite handy for viewing US and UK videos ;)

Reactions: 7 people

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Too late for this programme but you can also use filmon to watch live BBC/ITV (we have a freeview satellite here in France but it doesn't work in bad weather; I've always been a bit wary of the proxy IPS sites)

msmi1970

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In next two weeks going to have them restested after conentrating on avocado n olives n cutting the cream and cheese.

:)... i know how you feel...my whole lipid profile is going absolutely haywire as well..

uart

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry, BBC don't allow it and they are technically proficient. So it's technically difficult to rip because you can only view with the BBC's proprietary player.

Yeah the ABC (our public broadcaster here in Oz) is much the same. However if someone had actually recorded it on their telly (as opposed to watching online) then it's no problem. That's the method I used to obtain the documentary I linked to above. :)

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Yes I know how to set up a proxy, but I've never had much luck with any of the free ones, and I don't want to pay.

Anyway, I'm going to try a torrent. now. :)

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
I was half hoping the final episode would be 'the truth about carbohydrates', but no such luck (it's '... medicine')

uart

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
I've just searched for this program. Can anyone confirm if this is the program that is being discussed here?

"The Truth About Fat" 20 March 2012"
Surgeon Gabriel Weston explores why so many people are piling on the pounds – and learns about new ways to fight the flab. She discovers the hidden hormones that control appetite and sees the latest surgery that fundamentally changes what a patient wants to eat – by altering how their brains work.

uart

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Catherine. Someone also posted the url in another thread, but I couldn't see enough (because I was blocked) to get the full details like the author etc So I couldn't be sure I was searching for the correct program and ended up downloading the wrong one mentioned above. :eek:

I'm going to try the zenmate plugin recommended by Indy and see how it goes. :)

BTW. This is the correct one right:

The Truth About...-3. Fat
Science documentary. Dr Saleyha Ahsan cuts through the confusion and reveals the surprising science of fat.

Last edited by a moderator:

Daks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Catherine. Someone also posted the url in another thread, but I couldn't see enough (because I was blocked) to get the full details like the author etc So I could be sure I was searching for the correct program and ended up downloading the wrong one mentioned above. :eek:

I'm going to try the zenmate plugin recommended by Indy and see how it goes. :)

BTW. This is the correct one right:

The Truth About...-3. Fat
Science documentary. Dr Saleyha Ahsan cuts through the confusion and reveals the surprising science of fat.

Yes that's the one, some interesting stuff on it about omega 3 fats and cultivating it to introduce into other foods.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Mine are way up.... and been thinking of reducing dairy for olives et al... be interested to hear how it goes with you. Cheers Hj

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Mine are way up.... and been thinking of reducing dairy for olives et al... be interested to hear how it goes with you. Cheers Hj

My practice mucked me up so only got my total that wentup a lot. My hubbys breadown all went in wrong direction.

It now just waiting a couple of weeks until I feel satisfied that the avocado, fish n olives can overtake the cream and cheese. Watch this space...

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My practice mucked me up so only got my total that wentup a lot. My hubbys breadown all went in wrong direction.

It now just waiting a couple of weeks until I feel satisfied that the avocado, fish n olives can overtake the cream and cheese. Watch this space...
I will! Good on yer.