Theresa May and her "shocking disease"

cp1943

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just seen the Daily Mail headline on BBC news: what do you Type 1s think. Personally I think it could give us a more positive image. I find, as a type 1 of over 50 years, it could be less sensationalist not to say less self-pitying in tone and could be more informative (ok it's not always easy to deal with but "shocking" is not how I would describe it). Poor you Theresa May, perhaps you could encourage your buddies in the cabinet to make the NHS more sympathetic for those people who have had this "shocking disease" for years. I don't live in the UK but from what I read on this website the NHS isn't always doing a very good job.

Perhaps I'm just expecting too much of the Mail, but she obviously did give the interview.

Reactions: JamesC1

Westie2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Re: Theresa May and her "shocking disease"

I have also just seen the article, but in 'The Sunday Times'. She makes the point it does not affect her ability to do the job, but she has had to make some adjustments.
Fair comment I thought.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Neil Walters

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not being Grumpy
cp1943 said:
Just seen the Daily Mail headline on BBC news: what do you Type 1s think. Personally I think it could give us a more positive image. I find, as a type 1 of over 50 years, it could be less sensationalist not to say less self-pitying in tone and could be more informative (ok it's not always easy to deal with but "shocking" is not how I would describe it). Poor you Theresa May, perhaps you could encourage your buddies in the cabinet to make the NHS more sympathetic for those people who have had this "shocking disease" for years. I don't live in the UK but from what I read on this website the NHS isn't always doing a very good job.

Perhaps I'm just expecting too much of the Mail, but she obviously did give the interview.

...the actual quote on the BBC website is 'She told the Mail on Sunday that the diagnosis "was a real shock" and had taken a while to come to terms with.'

A real shock is very accurately what it would have been and very different to calling it a 'shocking disease'

Patch13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

I just think in typical daily mail style they've given it a ridiculous sensationalist headline. As the above have said she was shocked by the diagnosis but is just getting in with it so I don't think the headline really reflects how she feels about diabetes.

Reactions: JamesC1

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Noisy dogs and loud music especially low-note drumming
The article that I read on Yahoo said that observers had commented upon her obvious loss of weight recently which is a definite primary indicator at her age of the onset of Diabetes.

I had this symptom but nobody seemed to make the connection.

We should be pleased that such a high profile politician has the illness - it can only help our cause.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !

I don't think we should be "pleased" that she has diabetes really. It won't make a bit of difference to me or my family. Just another statistic. Sadly, I am sure our healthcare will be very different !

pav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As mo1905 says don't think it will make any difference to us.

The only thing that possibly would frustrate me / us is that as like the head of the nhs she will be given 5 star treatment and want for nothing in support etc, while a lot of us have to fight to get support or support is denied to us.

cp1943

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
OK, I appreciate that it was a shock and perhaps if the public can be informed that diabetes is not something that can stop you from doing whatever you want to do in life, it can be a positive contribution. The tone of some of the comments on the BBC were a bit negative (how can she do such a high-powered job, even be prime-minister etc.) which is not helpful but I suppose that's the nature of debate. I wouldn't vote for Mrs May but I wouldn't exclude her on the basis of her diabetes.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
No I wouldn't wish diabetes on anyone.

Theresa does look remarkably well for the weight loss in those photos and seems (going by the newspaper articles) to be coping fine.

Inanna

Noblehead I agree with you in saying I wouldn't wish diabetes on anyone. She will get all the best treatment and everything she needs. Won't be anything like what we all go through on a daily basis

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
cp1943 said:
I find, as a type 1 of over 50 years,

I think that would be worthy of a headline itself. People don't realise that some diabetics just get on with it for decades. Diabetics can take heart from that.

Neil Walters

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not being Grumpy
lauradonnelly said:
Hi,

I am writing a piece for tomorrow's Daily Telegraph following Theresa May's comments about her diagnosis of Type 1 diabetes in middle age. I am looking to interview a woman who was diagnosed with Type 1 in their 40s or 50s about their experiences - the person would need to be happy to be photographed too, it should be a useful piece in raising awareness of symptoms etc to the wider population. If you are able to do this, please can you email me at [email protected] or phone 020 7931 3562 as soon as possible? It would be much appreciated.

Best wishes,
Laura

Please do try to be objective about the very significant contrasts in treatment provided by the NHS that we are all receiving - some of us very good, but some of us apparently very very bad.

There is so much ignorance out there about this condition and we need some positive press occasionally - you could become a champion if you handle this right!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
cp1943 said:

Hi there I don't know what type you are, but whether or not it is a famous person or just an everyday Joe public, they have has just been diagnosed with a chronic life long condition, which can be managed well, but will not go away or disappear.

Some people are absolutely devastated when diagnosed, others accept it straight away and we have to get on with it.

On the radio this morning it was said one of her symptoms was weight loss and she will still carry on with her parliamentary duties as normal. Which it what we all do with our busy lives with work, children, DIY, gardening etc.

I hope to hear Theresa May speak about her medical condition herself, in her own words and if some good comes from a person in the public eye then it would be very good news for ALL the diabetes in the UK, even though something should of been done a long time ago.

This is now another person now diagnosed with Type 1 and I wouldn't wish this on anyone :thumbdown: She may of been shocked or in shock because of her diagnosis, but I, personally, would take anything a national newspaper prints with a large pinch of salt.

A newly diagnosed MP on our forum, now there's a thought :wink: We are, after all, in this together.

Take care all, best wishes RRB

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
The greater the number of that work-shy class 'politicians' that are diagnosed with diabetes, the more we are likely to get better treatment from all gov depts.

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Noisy dogs and loud music especially low-note drumming
Of course I am not happy that Theresa May has succumbed to Diabetes or that anyone should. Just getting the condition behind the front door of number ten is very useful in itself.

mch1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have very little time for politicians, however I wish Teresa May all the best with her condition in the same way I would anyone else.

What would be of real value is if she went down the same NHS route which we have too, then she may understand the failings in parts of the NHS and be able to add influence.

Sadly this is very unlikely to happen.....

cp1943

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm new to the site (as a contributor, though I read anything I find interesting) and probably not on the right forum, so I thought I should also introduce myself: I'm type one, diagnosed 51 years ago, no complications so far, for which I am very grateful as good control was practically impossible 50 years ago (and I still have my blips: I'm only human), no blood sugar meters, glass syringes etc. I have two children and worked, travelled etc. so I don't think I am different from anyone else. I realise I am lucky in that respect and not everyone has been. I feel for anyone who is newly diagnosed but would encourage them to be positive, including Ms May, though I doubt if she is listening. I am shocked that the NHS has deteriorated so much (or am I being unfair?) since I left England at the beginning of the seventies. When I was first diagnosed I spent 2 weeks in hospital, injecting oranges as practice, and actually learnt quite a lot there, though treatment was pretty primitive, unpure insulin etc. Anyhow I survived.
I am surprised that Ms May was only having 2 injections a day, or was it from 2 injections (personally I generally have five, though it was only one when I started). The number is actually irrelevant with the pens that are in use now.

C

chris lowe

Now that a senior member of the government has revealed she has Type 1 shouldn't we be bombarding her with letters and e-mails to tell her what poor service some of us get from the NHS?

Reactions: 2 people

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
chris lowe said:
Now that a senior member of the government has revealed she has Type 1 shouldn't we be bombarding her with letters and e-mails to tell her what poor service some of us get from the NHS?

Most definately yes :thumbup: :thumbup: :clap:
Here is her contact addy:- [email protected]

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Spiders, winter, bills, ignorance, prejudice
I was a bit surprised at the two injections per day thing - sounds a bit old school - surely if she is on basal bolus she will be on at least one of basal (poss 2) and then 3 of bolus (poss more depending on if she injects for snacks).

It always suprises me how non diabetics seem to focus on the injection side of things being the most horrible aspect to diabetes, injections are the least of my worries it's all the hypos/weight gain/constant balancing/threat of complications that does my head in.

Good luck to Teresa, hopefully this will make the public realise that not all diabetics are fat/stupid/lazy/brought it upon themselves and we can but dream that she will somehow influence NHS policy. Although she probably doesn't want to become the poster girl for diabetes, and sounds like she just wants to get on with her life as before and not make too big a deal of it.