Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
The Guardian - Back to home
all

Politics
Politics live with Andrew Sparrow
General election 2017: poll suggests voters back Theresa May U-turn - as it happened
Rolling coverage of the day’s political developments as they happen

Updated 54m ago

Current Time0:00
/
Duration Time1:37
Loaded: 0%

Progress: 0%
Mute

‘Another one!?’: UK reacts to May’s election announcement
Shares
Comments
Andrew Sparrow and Matthew Weaver

Tuesday 18 April 2017 21.02 BSTFirst published on Tuesday 18 April 2017 09.06 BST

Show
  • 12h agoWill May call an early election? - Five reason why she might, and 5 reasons why she might not
  • 6h agoMajority of voters think May right to change her mind and call an early election, poll suggests
  • 7h agoCommons leader David Lidington says Commons will be dissolved on 2 May
  • 10h agoNo 10 says parliament to be dissolved 3 May
  • 11h agoTheresa May's statement
  • 11h agoGuardian/ICM poll gives Conservatives 18-point lead over Labour
  • 11h agoCorbyn confirms Labour will vote for early election

Show
3h ago20:07

Guardian political correspondent Peter Walker has this on former prime minister Tony Blair’s reaction to the election announcement:

Theresa May has decided on a snap general election because she wants to secure a big parliamentary majority before the full consequences of Brexit become obvious to voters, Tony Blair has argued.

The former Labour prime minister said many voters could change their minds on Britain leaving the EU once the various options for Brexit became more real, and the purpose of a general election on 8 June was “to close this possibility down”.

In an article posted on the website of his political foundation, Blair said voters should be aware of the risks of a significant Conservative majority and be prepared to vote across party lines to tackle the “unprecedented and dangerous” political situation.

He insisted that this did not mean he was calling for wholesale tactical voting, or for a so-called progressive alliance.

Instead, Blair wrote:

I am urging that, as part of this election campaign, we create the capacity for the people to know exactly what the choices are; and elect as many MPs as possible with an open mind on this issue who are prepared to vote according to the quality of the deal and the interests of the British people.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
It's a foregone conclusion that May will be PM again...........possibly with more MP's. Corbyn is on a hiding to nothing and hopefully will be gone post 8 June, but the news is just so full of the upcoming election and to think we have another 6-7 weeks to go :rolleyes:

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I'm keeping this short!
The elitist Tories are trying to u.undermine the electorate into thinking this is a brexit election and no other issues are going to deflect the onslaught of the propaganda towards the greater population needs and wants. It is deflecting the real reason for the election.
It is all about timing!
Because if the election was held after the talks and it was going to be a hard brexit, the Tories would suffer and possibly lose its majority, making it difficult to push through the laws and votes required in parliament.
The Tories by holding a form of referendum general election on the mandate of brexit would consolidate their grip on parliament by increasing its majority.
They would be able to push through all their toxic dogma beliefs. As well as ensuring that the NHS, the old and the disabled and especially the poor would not be able to improve their lives by taxing the rich as they should fairly!

The opposition is in no fit state to win and the only hope is to get the other parties enough seats for their to be a hung parliament.

Chaos will ensue but better than the Tories having free rein over us!

Will the politicians and analysts with the Tory press and media give fair hearing to the real issues that are destroying the inner cities (again!) And of course it's subjects!
Once we leave Europe, we are not citizens again!
Our rights, our benefits and most importantly our health care is being destroyed by the rich and the rich get richer and the poorer get poorer!
The ability to defend our human rights is getting eroded quickly and surely the nearer we get to brexit!
The prime minister has refused to face the general public, because, they are afraid it may effect their dominance over the other parties, this is her Achilles heel.
We must get her to stand up and be held accountable for her parties stance on our children's future!
Brexit must not dominate the election.

srobertson06

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cycling, Exercise Classes
I cannot imagine just how fed up of hearing about the up coming election I will be by the time it gets to it, but I will be happy once it is over and done with..................

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Foodwise Nuts & Mushrooms (Vomit)
It's time to forgive the Liberal Democrats

I can see Scotland being totally SNP

I can see a small increase in the Lib Dem vote resulting in a small increase to their MP numbers

I can see Labour losing marginals and being a total disaster

I can see the Tories with a bigger majority

I can see UKIP collapse

The Greens will still have their one MP and no more

And as usual Northern Ireland will do what it always does

I feel quite depressed

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Have to say that is a great summary of things @Cumberland , however your first sentence about forgiving the Lib Dems I can't agree as my kids were screwed over by their broken promise that University tuition fees wouldn't rise.

Reactions: Ultramum

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Have to say that is a great summary of things @Cumberland , however your first sentence about forgiving the Lib Dems I can't agree as my kids were screwed over by their broken promise that University tuition fees wouldn't rise.

Yes it was wrong of them to break their promise on tuition fees (I went off Nick Clegg for that)

Theresa May on the other hand as Home Secretary promised to get immigration down to the tens of thousands a promise she has just re-iterated as PM

I just think we have no outstanding politicians worthy to hold the office of PM

There's usually someone with a bit of flair hope and inspiration realistically at this Elecetion Theresa May is the pick of a very bad crop

Corbyn is too left wing

Farron is better than Clegg but it's only going to be a handful of seats gained

Realistically it's between 2 of them
(May & Corbyn)

Reactions: noblehead
C

chris lowe

I voted for Brexit & was under no illusions to what it mean. Cutting all ties with Europe. Norway have a half in/half out agreement it's not what I voted for. As for Tony Blair, nothing but a dirty underhanded war criminal & the sooner he realises he's got blood on his hands & keeps his nose out the better. Been labour all my life but no way I would vote Corbyn in.

Reactions: Gannet

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
What has always baffled me is why would anyone want to vote Tory?

I know that all the other parties are in turmoil over various differing problems and issues!

But the Tories are only interested in the elite one percent and they have persecuted the poor, needy, disabled and especially the elderly, they are if not worse than the other parties for discrimination, alienation of the people. The unfortunate!
Divide and conquer, has been used by the elitist for centuries.
Banking and Westminster is more important than its subjects!
How can anyone respect a party that breaks its promises on everything, they are self serving tax dodgers of the worst kind.
I would rather people protest by not voting at all!
It's against all my principles, but it would serve its purpose.
Tactical voting will be widespread and the boundaries of the constituencies are favourable to the Tories only!
We should get proportional representation and ditch the first past the post.
If anything else that can rid us of this non event, I would welcome it!
We will be voting on our new mayor in three weeks and this will be followed by council election and then the general election.
I hate our political system, it is something only the Tories admire.
Don't get me going on the house of lords!

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
What has always baffled me is why would anyone want to vote Tory?

I know that all the other parties are in turmoil over various differing problems and issues!

But the Tories are only interested in the elite one percent and they have persecuted the poor, needy, disabled and especially the elderly, they are if not worse than the other parties for discrimination, alienation of the people. The unfortunate!
Divide and conquer, has been used by the elitist for centuries.
Banking and Westminster is more important than its subjects!
How can anyone respect a party that breaks its promises on everything, they are self serving tax dodgers of the worst kind.
I would rather people protest by not voting at all!
It's against all my principles, but it would serve its purpose.
Tactical voting will be widespread and the boundaries of the constituencies are favourable to the Tories only!
We should get proportional representation and ditch the first past the post.
If anything else that can rid us of this non event, I would welcome it!
We will be voting on our new mayor in three weeks and this will be followed by council election and then the general election.
I hate our political system, it is something only the Tories admire.
Don't get me going on the house of lords!

Totally agree with proportional representation replacing first past the post

I have usually voted according to where I have lived to try and keep the Tory out

In one constituency the sitting MP was a Tory (even a chimpanzee wearing a blue rosette would win there as it's always blue) and voting Labour was a wasted vote as they were always a very distant 3rd so I voted tactically voting for the Lib Dems always well clear of Labour but forever more the runner up

Where I live now is a marginal between Tory and Labour (it's currently Tory) the Lib Dems are nowhere to be seen

So I switched to Labour

But I have a dilemma now

I like Tim Farron and don't like Corbyn or May in fact I find Corbyn worse than May they're both horrendous in my opinion

I think the Tory will win our marginal and think this will be replicated overall in the House of Commons

The House of Lords an unelected bunch of hoyte toytes should be scrapped

Reactions: Ultramum

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Around this area of the world, it has always been split, west has been Tory, east has been labour, my constituency for the last 25 years has always been labour, rampant poverty and working class, , nothing much has changed! There is more than ten food banks in the area, apparently offering charity to thousands of people.
Shocking!
At the last election, even the west Wirral seat changed to Labour. Against all the odds!
I remember, another former area where I lived switching to Labour for the first time, early eighties, ousting a minister in the government!
We voted to remain by a big margin in the Merseyside area because all and I mean all of the regeneration money came from Brussels, nowt from Westminster, we were left out of the h2 and northern power house regeneration, we scousers are always vilified by Tories because we know the way they do things to the detriment of the majority to line their own pockets. We know around here about justice.
We are not conned by the papers and media and the lies told by politicians.
You have to be a decent person and seen to be decent to keep your seat.
There will be a Labour mayor, in the new Merseyside area, which will be a thorn in the government's side!
We will stand our corner and fight the good fight for social justice.
Why has social become a dirty word with the press and media!

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diane Abbott on the news this evening getting her police costings wrong
The shadow cabinet looks like the Muppet Show on acid

Totally unelectable and that is really sad news for millions wanting change

Labour lost the plot when they picked the wrong brother after the 2010 general election

I float my vote accordingly and will vote Labour to attempt to oust the incumbent Tory

I'm not voting for Corbyn I'm voting to rid ourselves of a Tory MP

Had the Lib Dems been a close 2nd then I would vote for them but sadly they are a distant 3rd

Ian_Laye

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have never voted Tory before but after Theresa May gave me the best 50th birthday present on the 29th march they will get my vote this time.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I have never voted Tory before but after Theresa May gave me the best 50th birthday present on the 29th march they will get my vote this time.
She is giving with one hand but taking a lot more out of your pocket with the other!

I just hope that leaving the eurozone doesn't cost more than being a citizen in your human rights.
Don't forget before we joined you were a subject!

Ian_Laye

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Unfortunately we never stopped being subjects. But at least outside the eu we can choose our own destiny with a democratic system rather than being decreed to by the unelected European Commission. I know our system is flawed but in reality the monarchy doesn't dare use what limited powers it still has and we can change our government every 5yrs. Although a proportional representation system would in my opinion be better.