These are a few of my favourite things..... (Food: What else?)

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I thought I'd start a thread where we could just jot down a favourite meal, snack or recipe. We have settled into a way of eating, with decent variety, but just sometimes I would like something different, and then I can lack inspiration.

My favourite, “once in a while meal”, is still Paella, which works for me, provided we use a Mexican rice which is readily available overseas. Whilst in the UK, I have tried this, but reduced the rice and fluid, then towards the end, added grated cauliflower to create additional bulk and texture. It works. I'm going to try tweaking it further, leaving out the rice altogether, but that would probably be a step to far for my OH, and I can certainly tolerate some rice from time to time.

The “What have you eaten today” thread has been excellent, but would anyone like to share their favourites, or even guilty secrets?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
The “What have you eaten today” thread has been excellent, but would anyone like to share their favourites, or even guilty secrets?

Too many to list, but here are a few......

My wife's home-made lasagne has to be up there together with a good traditional roast beef diner, also fish and chips, fillet steak with stilton cheese grilled on the top and a good chinese chicken curry with fried rice :)

Reactions: 2 people

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Sweet and sour hong kong style, all the meat is in batter in a delic sweet n sour sauce.

K

Kat100

Love my cauliflower cheese with a bit of mustard and chilli flakes in the cheese sauce.....

Made it already for tonight, with some veg as a side dish and a small jacket potato x

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Love my cauliflower cheese with a bit of mustard and chilli flakes in the cheese sauce.....

Made it already for tonight, with some veg as a side dish and a small jacket potato x

I use a mixture of cauliflower and broccoli then throw some roasted garlic cloves in before covering with the cheese sauce :)

tomvonc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anyone who asks a question about diabetes without thinking what they're asking.
Risotto, made with carnaroli rice, a shallot, stock, and a good dollup of butter and parmesan chucked in at the end. Doesn't need any more. But the highly processed rice needs a huge shot of Humalog to cover it.

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Got to share this soup recipe - heaven!
Ingredients:

400g cod
1 red pepper
1 yellow pepper
1 courgette
1 tbsp garlic butter
250 g cherry tomatoes
2 tins coconut milk
21/2 tbsp red Thai paste
Splash of chilli sauce
200g Philadelphia
parsley
Salt and pepper

Method:
Chop up the peppers and courgette and fry in the butter.
Add the coconut milk, the chilli sauce and seasoning.
Let it simmer for 5 minutes.
Add the Philadelphia, the tomatoes and the cod.
Simmer for 10 minutes.