Things we cannot use or take as diabetics

sdgray22

Dislikes
Loud Music, Confrontations, blood and gore on the TV
I am starting a new thread.
Things that we cannot use as diabetics, because its written on the packets. I have found this printed on various items and am going to start a list with the obvious reason why - just in case we are not intelligent enough to work it out - we are diabetic after all!!. They are obviously worried someone is going to sue and it is 99% for their own protection, not ours, if it is written down they are covered, I for one am slightly tired of being treated like my brain has also stopped working as well as my pancreas.

Footspa (water could get too hot, mmm I am diabetic I do not realise when something is burning me because I have neuropathy but do not know what that means, )
Cough Syrup Honey and Glucose (my my there is sugar in this If I drink the bottle it could sent my blood sugar levels high)
Canestan tablet (I could have recurrent thrush but I am diabetic so would not realise that I need to see my Doctor)
Heated pad for backache (oh it gets hot it may burn me see item Footspa reasons)
Actually I do not think anyone who is diabetic should pass through the doors of a lot of shops it obviously makes them very nervous. :wink:
Up to now I have seen no warnings on toothbrushes, razors, kitchen knives or granulated sugar - can't actually work out why not but I am sure someone knows
I am sure you will all have plenty to add to the list, please feel free to add them below. Sarcasm is acceptable

Paul1976

Dislikes
The puzzle that is Asperger syndrome that I still can't fit together.
Pepto Bismol has a caution on it if you are Diabetic-I think the salycitic acid which it contains can increase BG's,not 100% on that though.

Edit..I think I've misconstrued the post and taken the question by the OP literally :oops:

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
but for some the reason isn't obvious - don't think we should belittle those who don't always understand why

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
What a great post! I would totally ignore that, if it said its not suitable! I am an adult I can decide for myself!!

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
At the bottom of some pages in the Kleeneeze catalog it kindly tells Diabetics to check with there GP before using foot products .EVEN SOCKS :!:
CAROL

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just google diabetes foot burns for case reports, some complete with not so pretty pictures of burns caused to neuropathic feet by hot water bottles, spas, warming pads etc
If you know you have good circulation, no neuropathy fine; but obviously there are people out there that don't and thats what gives rise to these warnings

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
This post deleted and my other one on this thread.

Let the thread stay lighthearted as it was meant to be. :)

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I dont think we are quite at the stage that my packet of salted peanuts has reached .The label reads" salted peanuts this product may contain traces of nuts" :lol:
CAROL

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
My take on this is that because something might be harmful to the small percentage of diabetics who have neuropathy then it should not have a blanket warning covering all diabetics.
The warning should be specific.
For example "Care required if you suffer from diabetic neuropathy or similar loss of sensation".
Otherwise how do we diabetics know what the risk is?

There are conditions in non-diabetics which can cause loss of sensation in the lower limbs.

Be nice to see a "not for use by idiots" label - that should cover most legal areas :lol:

sdgray22

Dislikes
This is a thread for you to use your sense of humour and post the amusing and "fairly insulting to your intelligence" things written on packaging especially for us diabetics.

As a side note in the papers today, your Doctor must not call overweight patients obese now, its not allowed apparently the word upsets people! NICE have said he must tell them it's time to eat healthily!!!!)
:roll: :roll:

Diabetic Chocolate - great one
Just to let you know I have found most of these type of notices on goods in a very large high street store. No names mentioned but feet are involved!!

sdgray22

Dislikes
Edit..I think I've misconstrued the post and taken the question by the OP literally written b y Paul 1976

Paul 1976 I was trying to be funny, but I think yours is quite funny when you think about how much wind and indigestion we get from metformin. Maybe we were all taking too much of it and they had to put a warning on it!!!! :lol:

Paul1976

Dislikes
The puzzle that is Asperger syndrome that I still can't fit together.
:lol: Very true!!! Metfartin!! :D

stevolution

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
carty said:
I dont think we are quite at the stage that my packet of salted peanuts has reached .The label reads" salted peanuts this product may contain traces of nuts" :lol:
CAROL
They might.
Peanuts, like cashews are legumes rather than nuts, but the factory where they're packaged may process nuts as part of the packaging of other foods. That's why they have to include the warning. :thumbup:

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I keep my Bg NORMAl and ignore most of the warnings. I've got away with it so far.
However if I need cough medicine, I do use the sugar free sort.
Hana

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Post deleted.

Unbeliever

I agree with LGC that warnings migh be more useful if they were more specific. There might be more chance of them being taken seriously.

Diabetic chocolate - definitely. Shortly after diagnosis I became quite ill after eaing part of a Diabetic chocolate egg. For myself I would also add all the "diabetic sweets".

If we read and worried about all the warnings on medication we would never take anything.

I used to have to take antibiotics before dental treatment. I can remember well the mental agony I went through once when I was given a new antibiotic to take before I left the house . On reading the instructions and warnings I was horrified to find that these pils were capable of causing acute diarrheoa within 30 minutes of being swallowed. Problem was that I had to walk to the dentists and it was a FORTY minute walk with nowhere to stop on the way.

The dentist asked me why I was so flustered when I arrived. I told her and she and her assistant could hardly treat me or giggling.. Sadists. :sick:

sdgray22

Dislikes
I was just trying to lighten it all up a bit. Thanks to those who joined in. It helps to smile a bit.

AMBrennan

Footspa (water could get too hot, mmm I am diabetic I do not realise when something is burning me because I have neuropathy but do not know what that means, )
Yeah, those 70 mostly preventable amputations per week just proves that this is a total non-issue.

Notice "preventable" in the above sentence.

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
sdgray22 said:
I was just trying to lighten it all up a bit. Thanks to those who joined in. It helps to smile a bit.

I do find that some people that are diabetic are fanatical about it and don't seem to have a sense of humour at all. They are far too serious. I remember once being in a supermarket toilet when a lady came in went in the loo leaving the door open saying she couldn't shut it because she's diabetic! I've heard people say they can't work because they're diabetic. On This Morning they did a boot camp thing for overweight people, there was a guy on there who said I'm diabetic I need to keep my sugars high!! If diabetic people get anything wrong with them they immediately think its related to diabetes. People need to lighten up a little!!