think I might have type 1&worried

DaveDisco

hi guys,

new here not sure if this is right place to post,
first off I'm 28 and in good shape size 30 waist and all (which is pointing me away from type 2)

i think i may have type 1 diabetes. lost a stone in last two week, constantly thirsty have a dry mouth, lost all energy, weak and feel pathetically fragile all the time and now climbing stairs leaves me out of breath and weak (I could run 5 miles without getting out of breath before xmas!)

did a urine sample today at drs and he said there was glucose in it and probably meant diabetes. He took some blood and now waiting for results.

is there anything else you guys know of that I could have apart from diabetes?
Diabetes sounds scary and life changing, if I've got it will I still be able to lead an active life, running going to gym alot. or will I not be allowed any sugar again and have to take it easy?

I'm confused (cos of how I'm feeling) and worried,

cheers

Dave

C

catherinecherub

Please don't worry Dave. We have diabetics on here who run marathons. Diabetes is managable and this forum is the place to come. Read around and you will see all the support there is here.
I am type2 but it won't be long before a type 1 answers your posting.
Regards, Catherine.

tubolard

Dislikes
Fasteddie; Richard K Bernstein; William S. Atkins; Rosemary Bloody Conley;
Hi and welcome to the forum Dave. You've come to the right place.

If you are diagnosed with diabetes, it does not necessarily mean you will have to give up on your life, a number of members of this forum lead very active lives. One of our moderators, Fergus, is a type one and a very keen cyclist. Steve Redgrave, olympic rower, is a type 2 (don't think he's a member though, bit of a coup if he were).

Giving up sugar? That's a decision you'll have to make, in my case it was a pretty easy one.

Although I'm a type 2, there are plenty of type 1s on this forum who will be able to better help you.

Regards, Tubs.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Inthe immortal words of Corporal Jones" Don't Panic! Don't Panic!"
What has happened has already done so and isn't changeable
If it is diabetes, We can help you control it. Do get your doctor to find out which type, It doesn't affect you too much, but is well worth knowing in an emergency.
When you know, Get back to us and let us know and then if you need us, Ask again. giving as much information as you can.

DaveDisco

my doctor has just rung me told me that I am def diabetic and have a blood plasma of 20. he's ringing me back in a minute but says i should maybe go dpwn to hospital :shock:

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
As your Dr for a printout of your blood test results. They will help us help you, & you will soon see the significance of such things as HbA1c & triglycerides.

I was diagnosed 8 years ago, & still play tennis & go to the gym - at nearly 70.

Just seen your result - 20 is too high. Don't worry, but take the diag seriously & adjust your diet to gain good control. Ask about blood test meters. You will need one.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you haven't gone to hospital, please do so. As you have been losing weight quickly and have high blood sugar levels you may well have ketones should get looked at now.

ANd don't worry, I have type 1, , a grandmother but can still run a marathon :D

DaveDisco

Hi thanks for your concern

my result of 20 was from a fasting test this morning

dr has arranged an appointment with a consultant first thing in the mornin, confirmed its type 1 and said If i feel worse to get down to A&E asap

so i'll monitor it!

scary stuff! oh well least I know what was wrong

jopar

Hi dave

firstly welcome

I'm sad to hear that you've joined our club, but heck it's not that bad belonging to it though... I've belong to it for 20 years now... And I know others have been members longer than I, my husband to name one of them he's 30 years and plenty of others even longer...

Sadly because when you pick up your Type 1 badge, it does comes with one hell of a lot of information to take on board, so be perpared for a head spin to start, but you soon pick up the basics, and the diabetic team will help you, and us lot here who are all willing to lend a hand...

Remember that no such thing as a silly question, only a question that you don't know the answer to, and I suspect that we've all asked the same questions in our time (that how we found out the answer)

You mentioned that you like trianing, gym etc you will find at first this will be on the back burner as they and you settle your Blood glucose and you get get your head around the new way of living, but you will be able to return to your training, the only difference is sorting out how you are going to control your diabetes to enable you to do it..

Stuboy

Dislikes
Crowds. Being high. Being Hypo.
welcome to the forum Dave,

Sorry to hear you've been diagnosed... on the plus side, you've found us! This is one of the best places on the net for support and answers.

You will feel better soon, it's amazing how quickly you start feeling normal again when you get some insulin... i found the biggest relief was the number of visits to the loo went down! lol

Feel free to ask any questions you have... no such thing as a stupid question here!

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya dave,
welcome to the forum,
it was four yrs b4 i found this forum so that is one major fact that u have on your side, this place is full of so many folk who will help u through, ask as many questions as u need to as someone will come along nd help and in the meantime before tmorro if u feel worse plz go to a and e as u can get ill really quick before u start on insulin,
good luck and let us know how u go on :D

DaveDisco

wow guys, overwelmed by nice comments and support. Glad I found this place and all you nice guys and gals :D

I'll keep you posted

jopar

Dave

If you do feel worse overnight, feeling sick or being sick, or in general worse please go the the A&E as this could be the sign of DKA setting in... This needs immediate medical treament and can't wait until the morning, Normally a diabetic would check to see if they have ketones in the urine, which I suspect that you weren't given anything, but another way to tell if it's got to danger point is a pear drop smell on your breath... This latter bit is only a guideline, as it can get to danger point before you can smell the pear drop smell.

If you are in any doubt go to A&E, I don't mean to scare you, but DKA can be very dangerous if left untreated quickley..

lilibet

Hi Dave

Sorry to hear your news. ive only been type 1 for four months, am in early 30's, hardly any symptoms and was in hospital 3 days so can totally identify with the shock!

Take your time, read, absorb everything, dont be frightened or feel silly to ask anything and most importantly dont feel that life has ended.
Not suggesting its a cakewalk :lol: but you will adjust. Bumps along the road certainly but baby steps at first will get you somewhere.

So welcome, and take care

L

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Dave, and welcome to a great forum.

I still remember what a shock it was for me to hear the same diagnosis. I thought, as you have, that I would be confined by the restrictions it imposed and prevented from living a full and happy life. Let me assure you, I was wrong.

Once you get your head around it, you will find there's nothing you can't do. Then when you gain control over it, which you will, you will find that motivates and empowers you to do even more than you might otherwise have done.

All the best,

fergus

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya dave,
just wondering how youve got on with the hospital? also i noticed your a fellow yorkie lol
hope your ok :)
amanda

DaveDisco

Hi All,
just to update, I was ok overnight. I was in the hospital this morning for nearly 4 hours talking to Diabetic nurses/consultants/dieticians. They say i'm fine now i'm on insulin

my head is now spinning with the masses of info they gave me lol but beginning to digest it, beta cells, pancreas, glucose,carb counts, novarapids, lantis etc etc

good thing is I came home with a bag of gadgets, pens, a cool blood sugar monitor, a funky bin to put needles in etc

my BM this morning was 23.7 at hospital but had some insulin since then and it was down to 10.9 when I just checked before lunch

feels weird and its a right faff doing blood then insulin before eating. so many needles, gadgets, caps, bags, strips lol gonna have to start it all 10mins before I actually want lunch tea etc lol

currently given 3 x novarapid and 1xlantis per day to see how things respond, starting with small doses so I dont go too far t'other way!

so i guess i'm now officially in the type 1 club. where do I get my badge from?? lol

oh while i remember, they said I gotta let my car insurance compnay know. anyone know if this will make my car insurance more expensive?? I hope not

Dave

Orchid

Hi Dave

Sorry to hear your news, I know it can be a blow at first. The positive side is that you will start to feel better once the diabetic team get you sorted out.

I'm 44 this year, I've had diabetes since I was 9 years old. I've prided myself on being able to do everything everyone else does, I've travelled, I ski (going in 3 weeks time!), I've had 2 children, could do with being a bit fitter!! But that's not the fault of diabetes, just me being too lazy :lol:

Thinking of you! All the best!
Orchid

Paulal

Hi Dave,

Hope you are feeling better today (hope you've had some insulin which will make you feel great).

All the info you will be given will sink in in a very short time.

You don't have to give up sugar completely but less is better for you. You will be taught how to count the carbohydrates in food. You will be given tables with these details and you should be given a free blood glucose tesing kit.

I have been Type 1 for 50 years (today) :D and have lead a very normal life - had 2 children. Neither of them are diabetic.

As far as exercise is concerned as long as you have had a high carbohydrate snack beforehand and possibly after too you will be fine.

Good luck to you