Thinking about christmas

goose64

I'm starting to think about christmas , and whilst I wont miss sweets & alcohol too much I am dreading not being able to eat mince pies & cheese & crackers ( I know the cheese is no problem but it won't be the same without crackers) so I need to think about what treats I can have that will be as nice.

I'm a cook so thing don't need to be ready made

Fraddycat

have you tried parmesan thins? Sprinkle parmesan cheese onto a greased baking sheet, you can use cake rings to make them circular, then put it into the oven for a few minutes. The cheese crisps up and is really yummy, it really satisfies my crispy/savory craving.

There are loads of recipes on here and you have plenty of time for research. Just put what you fancy into the search bar and I am sure things will come up!

BioHaZarD

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Nipped into tesco today and they got isle out with Christmas stuff already, shocking.

tree-peony

Ryvita Wholegrain Crackerbreads are only 3.5g carb each and don't seem to affect me much at all. AND they're very crunchy :)

paragliderpete

Hi I find that a Mince pie with plenty of double cream, followed by a coffee with cream and a small glass of port and i can get away with my bm's increasing by about 1.5mmol. I don't think if it went up even more that it would make much difference though.
We work hard all year controling our condition , I see it that we are allowed a week off at christmas, just don't go silly all at once.
With regards to the mince pie etc, I would not have one if my bm's were over 5, so even if it goes up more than anticipated it's still only going up to the low 7's. Just be sensible.

Cheers

MaryJ

It's gonna creep up on us, so I for one am glad of the reminder.

Last year was my first as a diabetic and as I was only diagnosed on 14th dec my resolve was sky high. not one chocolate past my lips. Not one crisp or pringle or pastry item.

I did however, have lots of cheese, peanuts instead and grapes (little did I know then). I had 2 mince pies with cream and that was it.

This year I am much more knowledgable and currently my resolve is still extremely high, I'm too scared to think of christmas as a time off from diabetes for treats. Perhaps because I am bloody lucky with not having a sweet tooth. My treat will be roasters and parsnips.

I am going to try the parmesan crisps.

Nairns cheese oat biscuits are low carb as well and nice too.

Mary x

WhitbyJet

goose64 said:
I'm starting to think about christmas , and whilst I wont miss sweets & alcohol too much I am dreading not being able to eat mince pies & cheese & crackers ( I know the cheese is no problem but it won't be the same without crackers) so I need to think about what treats I can have that will be as nice.

I'm a cook so thing don't need to be ready made

Have a look at the low carb recipes section, I have posted a lower carb mince pie recipe, I also have a lower carb Christmas cake recipe if you are interested.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
goose64 said:
cheese & crackers ( I know the cheese is no problem but it won't be the same without crackers) so I need to think about what treats I can have that will be as nice.

There's quite a few crackers that average around the 3-4g of carbs, my wife bought some in Asda the other day in the Asda Extra Special range, the box contains two type's of Flatbreads....one is a Oats, Stilton & Walnut and the other is Cheese & Black Pepper, working out the carb value I got them to be 3.3g of carbs per Flatbread......they are very nice too! :)

Fraddycat

Last year I was diabetic but had not yet discovered low carbing, I made myself an enormous indulgent sugar free trifle. I am sure I could do the same this year, all I need is a recipe for low carb custard. I put sugar free jelly and loads of raspberries in the bottom, sugar free custard as the next layer (will have lots of carbs I imagine) and whipped Elmlea as the top layer. This year I will use fresh double cream and maybe a blob of clotted cream for extra indulgence.

I had to fight the kids off it!

WhitbyJet

Fraddycat said:
Last year I was diabetic but had not yet discovered low carbing, I made myself an enormous indulgent sugar free trifle. I am sure I could do the same this year, all I need is a recipe for low carb custard. I put sugar free jelly and loads of raspberries in the bottom, sugar free custard as the next layer (will have lots of carbs I imagine) and whipped Elmlea as the top layer. This year I will use fresh double cream and maybe a blob of clotted cream for extra indulgence.

I had to fight the kids off it!

Bake a low carb sponge for your base, top with fruit (and jelly??), make custard, top with whipped cream - enjoy!!

Low carb custard is not difficult to make, but you need a little patience when making it:

best use a thermometer for this
300ml single cream
3 egg yolks or more depending on how thick you want your custard to be
sweetener tablets

Heat cream and sweetener in a pan up to 65 degrees

Whisk yolks in a bowl
Now slowly pour the heated cream into the bowl with the egg yolks whisking all the time as you do so until you have poured about half the cream in there, then pour it all back into the pan, whisk until well mixed.
Now V E R Y S L O W L Y bring the temperature back up to 80 degrees, it takes around 10 minutes or so, make sure you are stirring all the time, thats important, the custard will begin to thicken, take it off the heat and strain it through a sieve, add 1tsp of vanilla or any other flavouring you want to use, eg a banana custard is nice.

This is for a pouring custard, if you wanted it to be thicker, add more yolks.

I dont know, you may be able to manage to make this without the aid of a thermometer, but I seem to be too stupid, take the thermometer away from me and my custard ends up as sweet scrambled eggs!!

C

chris lowe

Oh no! Not the dreaded "C" word already. Surely it's not time to stick my head under the duvet and stay there until it's over already? :D

RoyG

Dislikes
To many to mention.
Just tried the Custard recipe only had double cream, I followed the instructions regarding the temps as last time my wife experimented with custard it sort of ended up as a messy omelet, But success reigned this time (I Think) the wife said she never had a temperature probe when she did it, bad workman and tools blah blah blah. I added cocoa though and ended up with absolutely delightful super rich thick hot chocolate drink, I am leaving the other half to see how much it thickens. Thanks whitbyjet, another winner for my Xmas collection along with my full blown Alcohol fuelled Egg Nogg. I love it when a plan comes together :D :D

Ann19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the custard recipe WJ, :thumbup: I've been planning a Trifle. Now the plan can be put into action!! :lol:

Ann

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
13 weeks today till Christmas :)

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Do you know what? I'm having a day off diabetes on Christmas. I'm going to drink beer and eat what I want since I never do it! Then on boxing day it's back to the low-carbing :thumbdown:

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Me too - I'm going to take some time off. 2 days for Christmas and the same for new year, but not going too mad. Then back to my usual routine. Until my birthday that is until the end of January. Only one day off then.

RoyG

Dislikes
To many to mention.
Thinking about it :idea: There is not a lot of difference between the Custard and my Egg Nogg, apart from the Rum, Brandy and bit of cinnamon two birds with one stone, I feel another plan coming here :thumbup:

catza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
RoyG said:
Thinking about it :idea: There is not a lot of difference between the Custard and my Egg Nogg, apart from the Rum, Brandy and bit of cinnamon two birds with one stone, I feel another plan coming here :thumbup:

Egg Nogg Custard!!!!!! Now that certainly sounds a great idea for using in my festive trifle.
smiley2383.gif