Thinking of CGM

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It sounds a cool idea, but I don't understand how you can be accurate enough with the injector to hit a little circle with the wire. When you are using the injector you can't see your ink circle any more because it's obscured by the sticky pad of the sensor at the end of the injector. How do you do it?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It sounds a cool idea, but I don't understand how you can be accurate enough with the injector to hit a little circle with the wire. When you are using the injector you can't see your ink circle any more because it's obscured by the sticky pad of the sensor at the end of the injector. How do you do it?

its not actually that hard - its something I do too. If you turn the sensor over you can see a void of tape about the size of a 5p piece. i match up the void with the pen mark and thats about the same size. Next sensor I will try and photgraph the steps if you like might be easier.

Reactions: 2 people

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm inserting it on my stomach so can see pretty clearly. If you look at the bottom of the sensor you can see a small circular opening in the adhesive. Carefully match this up with the circle you've drawn.

I haven't attempted to use my arm which would be trickier.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ok thanks guys! So I guess you look at the underside of the injector and then slowly turn it over so that the 5p piece sized tape void aligns with the 5p piece sized ink circle on your skin? That makes sense.

Reactions: 3 people

iHs

Havent got the G4 as yet as am contemplating changing to the vibe when the combo's warranty runs out. I love the combo because of the remote but as accuchek will most likely be a while b4 they release their own version of cgm instead of using dexcom, then it does look like I will continue with finger pricking all day, or buy the standalone dexcom or wait to see what Abbott's flash glucose cgm is lik

Eng... would you mind uploading a piccie please so we can see where to put this skintac stuff

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
In hindsight I think I might have preferred to use the Accu Check Combo in conjunction with a standalone Dexcom. The advantage would be having the wireless pump remote and wireless CGM monitor so that none of my checking and dosing required me to dislodge tubes. The pump itself could be totally hidden.

Since there's no actual integration between the Vibe's CGM monitor and the Vibe pump - they might as well be different devices because you have to enter any CGM data manually into the pump 'side' - there's no real loss in going to two actual physical devices instead of one. Well I guess it would be three devices - pump remote, CGM monitor, and pump. I'd still rather have two wireless devices to use than one tethered device.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Havent got the G4 as yet as am contemplating changing to the vibe when the combo's warranty runs out. I love the combo because of the remote but as accuchek will most likely be a while b4 they release their own version of cgm instead of using dexcom, then it does look like I will continue with finger pricking all day, or buy the standalone dexcom or wait to see what Abbott's flash glucose cgm is lik

Eng... would you mind uploading a piccie please so we can see where to put this skintac stuff

Will do but its going to be a couple of weeks, I only put mine on on monday (typically geting min 18dys atm)

iHs

Cheers thanks for that Eng.....

Spiker thanks for yr offer but atm I am undecided as I keep hoping that something much better is only around the corner but even though spanners are in the works for creating cgm that will be cheap to produce and easy to use, waiting for such cgm to be have and to hold, is about 2yrs a way I would guess but, with the way technology is progressing and the demand so great for cgm, then lets hope we all get a weller and happier life.

Reactions: 3 people

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sensor failed yesterday so I wanted to let ou guys know I will be doing a set up tonight (also needed to find this thread!)

Bit of interesting/useful info though sensors - ive been recording duration and cost and have found average time to failure is 18.2 days and ave cost is £2.10 a day. These are obviously my costs from animas (2*£500 starter kits make sensors slightly cheaper) but wondered if anyone could compare/ contrast?

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mine just seem to go on and on. I'm over 3 weeks with my third one now & getting good readings - probably the most consistent since inserting it. Initially it wasn't so good.

What happens when yours fail? Error messages? Bad readings? Or do they just fall off?

Incidentally when I first saw your photograph I wondered what you were drinking through the straw.. it was a while before I realised you were holding a meter!

kkkk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I should keep track of costs - so far I am on one of my longest sensors - I tend to find that the better stuck it is and as long as there are no problems in that 1st week then it will keep going for at least another week and this one is nearly up to the 3 week mark...being well stuck I think is a crucial factor to getting the dexcom sensors to last longer :) (loving opsite - not ordered any more skintac and in all honesty I am surprised that the opsite stuff is holding so well. I did add a new layer (really carefully pulled up some of the peeling bits and then trimmed anymore peeling bits very carefully) then alcohol wiped and added the new one and it looks great).

It is so hard to know whether to wait or not to - and I think whenever you get into this market there are always new things out...all I know for now and for sure is that the dex has made a massive difference to my life and its accuracy is good enough for me - and ideally I would love everything all wired in and all working with little trouble....but the dex, me and a pump next week (ahhhhh) will hopefully get on well enough to help me manage it all even better :) Then I will just sit and watch and see what happens.

kkkk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oooo and rumours on other forums that animas are stopping selling sensors to people not using their pumps - I know they aren't selling them to parents of kids - didn't know whether it will effect any or us - might be worth an investigate as that makes a big difference on cost.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What happens when yours fail? Error messages? Bad readings? Or do they just fall off?

I start getting gaps unexplained in readings ie an hour with no readings and they just get longer and longer. Had 3 outright tell me they had failed. I removed 1 because I had major skin irritation from using too much sticky (happened again yesterday) had an error message once stopped and restarted and it lasted 24 days after that!

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Oooo and rumours on other forums that animas are stopping selling sensors to people not using their pumps - I know they aren't selling them to parents of kids - didn't know whether it will effect any or us - might be worth an investigate as that makes a big difference on cost.
Ooh intrigued now, what forum was that on?

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
My bad I was out of date! deleted the post.
Nothing bad about your post at all, the last I heard Animas were not selling to parents of children using dexcom.
I was just pointing out the new sensors so hoped the situation would change.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sensor failed yesterday so I wanted to let ou guys know I will be doing a set up tonight (also needed to find this thread!)

Bit of interesting/useful info though sensors - ive been recording duration and cost and have found average time to failure is 18.2 days and ave cost is £2.10 a day. These are obviously my costs from animas (2*£500 starter kits make sensors slightly cheaper) but wondered if anyone could compare/ contrast?

Between 17 and 19 days for the sensors I've used. So well pleased with that. Haven't attempted to restart again after that date as not to sure how accurate they would be.

kkkk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There are a couple of Facebook groups and a t1 cgm group which us more uk based, though mostly parents of t1s with the odd adult thrown in and then some dexcom groups. I really can't remember where I read it, but an adult was having issues with changing to animas as their supplier of sensors, but this was only really recently. I'll have a search and see if I can find the post but they go through so quickly it us hard to keep track of it.