Thinking of CGM

kkkk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
They are mostly Americans so there are discussions about insurance etc, but lots of helpful stuff too,though the Americans don't tend to have to get their sensors to last as long as us self funders do :)

Reactions: 2 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Mine just seem to go on and on. I'm over 3 weeks with my third one now & getting good readings - probably the most consistent since inserting it. Initially it wasn't so good.

What happens when yours fail? Error messages? Bad readings? Or do they just fall off?
Apart from the exploding transmitter incident (!!!) all sensor sessions have ended because the sensor fell off. The sticky pad is not very good and barely survives a shower. I am constantly reinforcing with micropore tape or Tegaderm. Less so now with Tegaderm as I suspect covering the transmitter with Tegaderm may have been what caused it to overheat. Either that or 2-3 hour immersion in water.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Apart from the exploding transmitter incident (!!!) all sensor sessions have ended because the sensor fell off. The sticky pad is not very good and barely survives a shower. I am constantly reinforcing with micropore tape or Tegaderm. Less so now with Tegaderm as I suspect covering the transmitter with Tegaderm may have been what caused it to overheat. Either that or 2-3 hour immersion in water.

Actually I have once or twice seen what Eng reported - increasing timeouts and ANT error messages.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate

If you get hold of some skinTac and soak the tape holding the sensor in place it wont move. I leave well alone for week 1 then use the soak method, it then requires a hammer and chisel to remove :)

Reactions: 4 people

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
As promised
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1399305507.064626.jpg

Circle with a pen. You can't see but the skin tac is around the circle not inside.

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1399306442.180333.jpg

The bottom of the sensor has a hole locate it.

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1399306489.696878.jpg

Line them up

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1399306515.080086.jpg

Stick it down :D

Type 1 diagnosed 1990
HBa1c current 8.3
Pump and CGM used (animas vibe)

Reactions: 6 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you get hold of some skinTac and soak the tape holding the sensor in place it wont move. I leave well alone for week 1 then use the soak method, it then requires a hammer and chisel to remove :)
In my latest shipment from Animas was some Skintac (thoughtfully provided by the taxpayer) so I will give that a whirl.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
In my latest shipment from Animas was some Skintac (thoughtfully provided by the taxpayer) so I will give that a whirl.

Just make sure you have something to remove the tac from your finger otherwise you will stick to everything. I just use alcohol wipes.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just make sure you have something to remove the tac from your finger otherwise you will stick to everything. I just use alcohol wipes.

I actually use a disposable glove (provided by my work) you could pinch a couple off the nurse I'm sure!

Type 1 diagnosed 1990
HBa1c current 8.3

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I actually use a disposable glove (provided by my work) you could pinch a couple off the nurse I'm sure!

Type 1 diagnosed 1990
HBa1c current 8.3
Never thought to use them, good thinking :) I will borrow! some from my Dad's carers. I don't have contact with any nurses :)

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Never thought to use them, good thinking :) I will borrow! some from my Dad's carers. I don't have contact with any nurses :)

It's why I'm an engineer carbs lol

Type 1 diagnosed 1990
HBa1c current 8.3

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
It's why I'm an engineer carbs lol

Type 1 diagnosed 1990
HBa1c current 8.3
Come to think of it I used to have loads of the gloves when bottle feeding lambs, I must look in my boxes I haven't unpacked since moving 3 years ago :)

Beth_Robinson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had a 6 day trial period for free, but I'm not sure if that's because I', under 18? But you could ask about that

kkkk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have seen people just wipe the skintac onto the sticky/plaster bit before they insert it...unfortunately I only found out after making skintac circles and then trying to guess where they were :) so it might be worth a try. Completely agree with you lot on how sticky the skintac is, it is fairly comedy - I tried to not remove the wipe completely from the packing on my second go. I'm going to see whether I can get opsite on prescription as so far I find that the best tape, and it only starts peeling after a week and I've had better results with it than either tegaderm or hydro film.

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey all!

Sorry to dig out the old thread, but I guess this is a best place to ask! I'll be getting a dexcom next month and I wanted to get "prepared" as to the whole insertion process... please bear with me if my questions are silly :)

I will probably want to start by trying the skintac with the sensors... please let me know if I got this right:
1. wipe the area with an alcohol wipe
2. allow to dry
3. apply skintac (either on the sensor sticky parts or as shown by Engineer88 above)
4. stick the sensor
5. continue with the insertion process like on the dexcom video

My stupid questions:
Were do you get alcohol wipes from? :D Any specific brand or type?
I can see on the skintac website that they sell it as "wipes" - that this mean, that you apply it "from" the wipe and it starts getting sticky on the skin after a while?
Do you usually need the removal wipes to clean skintac off after you're done with the sensor?

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hey all!

Sorry to dig out the old thread, but I guess this is a best place to ask! I'll be getting a dexcom next month and I wanted to get "prepared" as to the whole insertion process... please bear with me if my questions are silly :)

I will probably want to start by trying the skintac with the sensors... please let me know if I got this right:
1. wipe the area with an alcohol wipe
2. allow to dry
3. apply skintac (either on the sensor sticky parts or as shown by Engineer88 above)
4. stick the sensor
5. continue with the insertion process like on the dexcom video

My stupid questions:
Were do you get alcohol wipes from? :D Any specific brand or type?
I can see on the skintac website that they sell it as "wipes" - that this mean, that you apply it "from" the wipe and it starts getting sticky on the skin after a while?
Do you usually need the removal wipes to clean skintac off after you're done with the sensor?
Hey @PaulinaB Yes thats basically it. I dont do the alcohol wipes (my skin is very dry it doesnt need more help) but you can pick them up at any chemist.
Yeah thats exactly how the wipes work. I recommend a cheap disposable latex/vinal glove otherwise itll be all over your hands for ages.
Yes removal wipes help. I tend to take it off as i get in the shower use the removal wipe and shower it off after cos they dont smell great to me.
:)

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey @PaulinaB Yes thats basically it. I dont do the alcohol wipes (my skin is very dry it doesnt need more help) but you can pick them up at any chemist.
Yeah thats exactly how the wipes work. I recommend a cheap disposable latex/vinal glove otherwise itll be all over your hands for ages.
Yes removal wipes help. I tend to take it off as i get in the shower use the removal wipe and shower it off after cos they dont smell great to me.
:)
Great! Thanks a lot for that :)

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Did anyone try this Mastisol thing that Dr Scheiner mentioned in the video?

I love that he expanded NPH as "not particularly helpful" :hilarious:

Lisbet

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have used Dex for nearly 10 mths and never needed anything extra to keep the sensor on other than a piece if tape cut out with a hole for the sensor to poke through. Opsite Flexifix (in the wide size) is brilliant and you don't need to hassle with nasty sticky stuff or use gloves! Just make sure skin is ultra clean and it will stick. I'd recommend reading Stephen Ponder's Facebook page for detailed guidance on interpreting the graphs and managing the swings, which can be alarming at first! The answers lie in the careful timing of eating, insulin dosing and learning how your body handles different food combinations and different carbs (GI).