third lot of laser

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have proliferative retinopathy in my right eye, first round of laser was done as an emergency to save the sight in that eye, as the consultant put it. but on my check ups I have been taken in again to redo some areas, all done immediately in the follow up appointments. Is this a normal practice? or do you have to wait for separate appointments? I'm not complaining, as if I know about them I think I wouldn't go back (I'm funny about my eyes) i'm just hoping that this was the last one, as the consultant said that I'd had 3500 burns up to now, so it might be enough! (sounds enough to me!!!!:angelic:)
But to cap a rather eventful appointment I was told we will remove the cataract that is in your left eye, in three months. Never rains but it pours it seems, for my eyes. I wouldn't care though but I hate having my eyes treated, I take for ever to recover from having anything done to them. Bit of a softy as far as anything done to my eyes I Hate it.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
hi @johnpol
OMG -- I can really feel for you --that is a huge number of hits
I have had laser on 2 separate occasions ( 2002 and 2012 )
my hits were around 7 or 8 in each eye , each time )

I hate having my eyes messed with -- I just want to curl up in my bed and sleep afterwards

( i have had injections in my left eye ( 3 ) back in 2013 -- and they were not much fun at all )

I would say it is good they have done all the laser in immediate follow up appointments - gets it over with quicker

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
hi @johnpol
OMG -- I can really feel for you --that is a huge number of hits
I have had laser on 2 separate occasions ( 2002 and 2012 )
my hits were around 7 or 8 in each eye , each time )

I hate having my eyes messed with -- I just want to curl up in my bed and sleep afterwards

( i have had injections in my left eye ( 3 ) back in 2013 -- and they were not much fun at all )

I would say it is good they have done all the laser in immediate follow up appointments - gets it over with quicker

I Can relate to the going to bed bit, I'm really bad after I have had the laser, just don't want to know (very unlike me I can cope with just about anything) I am quite unwell afterwards, which in itself is unusual so I've been told, I think its just an eye thing and more psychological than physical!!! The consultant said that most treatment is around the 3000 burns mark, but I have to be different!!!:bag::bag::jimlad:

Dark Horse

Ophthalmologists try and do the minimum amount of laser that will stop the proliferative retinopathy as large amounts of laser can cause problems with night vision and with peripheral vision (which can cause people to lose their driving licence). The amount of laser is a bit of a "guesstimate" and it's not unusual for someone to require top-up sessions if proliferation is still occurring.These are best given ASAP as a bleed obscuring vision could occur at any minute.

There is some good-quality information about laser for PDR on this page:- http://www.diabeticretinopathy.org.uk/laserdiabetic_retinopathy.html

Reactions: johnpol and himtoo

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ophthalmologists try and do the minimum amount of laser that will stop the proliferative retinopathy as large amounts of laser can cause problems with night vision and with peripheral vision (which can cause people to lose their driving licence). The amount of laser is a bit of a "guesstimate" and it's not unusual for someone to require top-up sessions if proliferation is still occurring.These are best given ASAP as a bleed obscuring vision could occur at any minute.

There is some good-quality information about laser for PDR on this page:- http://www.diabeticretinopathy.org.uk/laserdiabetic_retinopathy.html

Thank you @Dark Horse I will read that now, I assumed it was to stop anymore vessels being made, its just the eye bit that freaks me out!! I'm hoping that these last laser is my last one, but if I need it to save my sight then I will have it done