Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
Boredom I think and the fact that my bloods are good .
Back on it today though

Reactions: 2 people

Mauser792

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Idiots
Waiting for that miracle, lost 2st weight BMI at 26 still having ups and downs with BGL 5s 6s and 7s
So afraid that the jury is still out on this one.

Bill

Reactions: 4 people

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Waiting for that miracle, lost 2st weight BMI at 26 still having ups and downs with BGL 5s 6s and 7s
So afraid that the jury is still out on this one.

Bill

What is wrong with the 5 to 7 range?
Or do you mean that is your fasting BGL?

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1458752718.763406.jpg

These results will do me

Reactions: 7 people

DaveNN

Sorry KateA but you maybe you should have read the posts , this thread is about my 8 week 800calorie Michael Mosely diet journey lol.

I'm half way through and cheating a bit but still lost 8lb and 6cm off waist .FBC constantly in the 5 range too

Bloody well done!
Been away and tied up with the new motor!
I'm doing about 800 to 1000 a day BUT did have a carby wobble last week, whilst in Italy.
8lb is great as is 6cm.... Nice to see that you also mix your imperial and SI units.

stwhittle

I am T2 and since diagnosis 21 months ago my blood pressure has soared and now on meds for that, and have recently become lactose intolerant - which is a **** nuisance.

I am now 60, and have very gradually put on weight in the last 10 years since becoming of limited mobility because of Multiple Sclerosis. I still walk but not long distances, but I constantly potter and fidget.

I now have a BMI of 29, I am short (5'3") and have in very recent years inherited my fathers 'beer gut'(sadly the only thing he left me) even though I have always been a very occasional drinker, and for the last 10 years, because of my MS Meds, haven't drunk anything other than tea, water and occasional coffee.

I felt rather cheated when receiving the diabetes diagnosis - from childhood I have hated fizzy, sugary drinks. I took sugar in my tea for many years, but gave that up 8 years ago. However, I became diabetic at exactly the same age that my mother did. but none of my siblings are diabetic - but they have all retained a very slim body

And we grow a lot of our own food, we have an allotment which is increasingly my wife's domain due to my MS issues, and primarily eat a vegetarian diet (I have an occasional bacon butty with my son when he comes home from Uni).

When diagnosed as diabetic my GP was surprised, because only 12 weeks earlier their had been no indication, and then my bloods were very out of control. I had to take 6 weeks out of work to get them back under control. I now take 500mg Metformin, 3 times a day prior to each meal, and 1 mcg Repaglinide with lunch and dinner. My last two HbA1c readings have been 42 mmol/mol so my GP has advised that I should be happy with the current regime. However I would like to get back to a more normal life and have been seriously considering the 8 week or Newcastle diet as I would very much like to reduce my medication dependency (I already take handfuls of meds to control my MS related issues) and truth be, I have a very very happy life with an amazing wife (of 37 years) who I still think is the most beautiful woman in the world, and four kids who are now young adults.

My mum did the most awful death from pancreatic cancer, and I would like to avoid that if at all possible, and live on to enjoy my family for as long as possible, being as well as possible.

All advice welcome - but in particular what I do about the diabetic meds I am taking if I go on such a diet. My GP and diabetic nurse seem to have no idea.

Many thanks

Stephen

DaveNN

Hi. My layman's advice would be to stick with the metformin ( with meals, not before) for as long as you can tolerate it. Pls Google this drug, it could be a life saver...that said, it will do you little harm ( based on the small potted history) to have a go at this diet/regime. I know nothing about Rep'. Personally, I've played with this diet a little but have shed 44lb since October...lost approximately 6" off both my chest and waist and feel decades younger. BUT I do still liver dump ' though my PP is always below 8mmol. You'll find a lot of support on here, some truly inspirational stories and others not so. I wish you well.

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
Hi Stephen I would say to read everything you can in this forum , read and try different things , for me lower carb is great but it might not be for you .The 800 calorie thing helped me to refocus when I started going off plan , again it may not be for you . Type 2 is such an individual thing .

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
So I have to admit this has gone off track . I think I got bored .
It's been a success in some ways and as you know my bloods are good and I've lost weight and inches .
I will try really hard over the next few weeks . I'll do 1000 calories max though .
It's 5x50 time of year do I'll need the extra to do that . It will probably be net 800 though .
Onwards and upwards

Reactions: 3 people

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
I am T2 and since diagnosis 21 months ago my blood pressure has soared and now on meds for that, and have recently become lactose intolerant - which is a **** nuisance.

I am now 60, and have very gradually put on weight in the last 10 years since becoming of limited mobility because of Multiple Sclerosis. I still walk but not long distances, but I constantly potter and fidget.

I now have a BMI of 29, I am short (5'3") and have in very recent years inherited my fathers 'beer gut'(sadly the only thing he left me) even though I have always been a very occasional drinker, and for the last 10 years, because of my MS Meds, haven't drunk anything other than tea, water and occasional coffee.

I felt rather cheated when receiving the diabetes diagnosis - from childhood I have hated fizzy, sugary drinks. I took sugar in my tea for many years, but gave that up 8 years ago. However, I became diabetic at exactly the same age that my mother did. but none of my siblings are diabetic - but they have all retained a very slim body

And we grow a lot of our own food, we have an allotment which is increasingly my wife's domain due to my MS issues, and primarily eat a vegetarian diet (I have an occasional bacon butty with my son when he comes home from Uni).

When diagnosed as diabetic my GP was surprised, because only 12 weeks earlier their had been no indication, and then my bloods were very out of control. I had to take 6 weeks out of work to get them back under control. I now take 500mg Metformin, 3 times a day prior to each meal, and 1 mcg Repaglinide with lunch and dinner. My last two HbA1c readings have been 42 mmol/mol so my GP has advised that I should be happy with the current regime. However I would like to get back to a more normal life and have been seriously considering the 8 week or Newcastle diet as I would very much like to reduce my medication dependency (I already take handfuls of meds to control my MS related issues) and truth be, I have a very very happy life with an amazing wife (of 37 years) who I still think is the most beautiful woman in the world, and four kids who are now young adults.

My mum did the most awful death from pancreatic cancer, and I would like to avoid that if at all possible, and live on to enjoy my family for as long as possible, being as well as possible.

All advice welcome - but in particular what I do about the diabetic meds I am taking if I go on such a diet. My GP and diabetic nurse seem to have no idea.

Many thanks

Stephen
Hi Stephen
When I was on the ND Diet I was on 1000 Metformin. I kept on it for a bit over two weeks when my BG's dropped to normal levels. I decided to give it a miss for a few days to see what happened and they stayed the same and then started to decrease again so I stayed off them. In your case with your MS if you do the diet and your levels start to drop I would probaly so the same thing but with the doctors approval. Let us know how you go
Cheers

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
I've had a busy day, walked over 3 miles this morning then helping hubby get ready for the joiner and plasterer on Tuesday . Hopefully we can have a rest tomorrow because I'm shattered

Reactions: 2 people

Guthlac

I haven't updated my journey on the 800 diet for some time but I am in week 19 now so I thought I should. I managed to get my weight down from 98kg to 85kg and my HbA1c from 77 down to 42 with similar dramatic falls in lipids and blood pressure. My weight has fallen further down to 80kg (BMI of 27) and has stabilised as my diet habit has changed to intermittent fasting, which I find surprisingly easy to do. I am monitoring my food intake on non-fasting days and remaining starchy carb-free. I stopped taking Sitagliptin just over a week ago and it has been rather downhill since. My overnight fasting bs has risen from mid-fives to high-eights so I restarted the Sitagliptin. This hasn't improved things and today (a fasting day) my sugar has remained high all morning starting at 8.8, falling to 6.9 and now back up to 7.7mmol/L as I write this, even though I'm only drinking water and black tea. Naturally, I'm feeling very disheartened with the whole thing. I appreciate it may take a few more days for the Sitagliptin to take hold again but I really wish I hadn't stopped taking it. Not really sure what I should do for the best now; my GP was going to put me on one of the new GLP-1 drugs but these increase insulin production, which I know will only make things worse with regard to my insulin resistance. I have wondered about restarting the 800 diet again (having been off it for a few weeks) as I still have about 10-12kg to lose to get into a normal weight BMI but for the next couple of weeks at least I shall continue intermittent fasting with out 1500cal on fed days.
Guthlac

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
Hi Guthlac
Firstly congratulations on the sensational results with the HbA1c and the weight -loss. I am wary to comment re the Sitagliptin as I have never taken it but was wondering did this all happen in the same time that you started the intermittent fasting? If so it may be worth going back to where you were with the good levels and when stabilised try again while still on the 800 diet and see how that impacts. Otherwise it seems to me you have too many variables to judge what is impacting your levels.

Really well done on those results and let us know how you go

Cheers

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
You can't live on 800 calories forever.
Well I've been doing it six months a week or so ago had a 3 hour operation to place stents in Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm and an embolization of my right iliac aortic branch went out today had a drive to shops in the car fasting BG 4.8 when I get down to goal wait will adjust to maintain it.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I've been doing it six months a week or so ago had a 3 hour operation to place stents in Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm and an embolization of my right iliac aortic branch went out today had a drive to shops in the car fasting BG 4.8 when I get down to goal wait will adjust to maintain it.

Been wondering how it had gone, and how you were!
Sounds like it went well, and recovery has been excellent.

WELL DONE!

:D

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Haven't posted for a while but I'm on day 46 (week 7) and I've officially dropped out of the 'obese' category and into 'severely overweight'. My blood pressure has plummeted and is around the 115/65 mark now and I expect my meds to be reduced soon. The one thing I have changed in the diet is I've added a (small) handful of nuts at around 9pm. The difference this has made to my fasting BG is profound. I was getting readings of 7.5-8.5 but immediately I started on the nuts my morning readings fell to 6-6.5. I had one day when I forgot and my reading the following morning was 7.2. Amazing. When I read about it I thought it was voodoo but it's certainly worked for me. It's not made any difference to my weight loss, if anything its gone down a little quicker (but there are too many variables to be able to make any serious evaluation there). At 87.4kg I still have a way to go to my target of 70kg so I expect to keep going beyond the 8 weeks. I think the DIRECT study is looking at 8-20 weeks. Good so far. Average BG is 6.8 now.
Guthlac.
hi can you tell me what nuts you ate? each has very different properties so it would be interesting to know thanks

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Anyone still doing this?? I've just started again last Monday.

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Chook I am sure there are! I am mulling it over for mid January next year, if all else fails

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
@walnut_face It worked for me but it definitely isn't definitely a permanent cure. I'm the kind of person that gains weight just by looking at food but I found I got the most benefit from the diet in the first four weeks - so I think its something I'm going to have to do for four weeks at a time once every six months. I think the theory about personal fat threshold is correct, I just struggle staying that low.