Thoughts on dapagliflozin/Forxiga

SusanInglis

Hi I have just been prescribed the above to take instead of glicazide has anybody else had good results on this medication.

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum mobile app

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Personally I had a bad experience on Forxiga jusr around Xmas time. I was not on it long enough to determine if there was any benefit in my bgl. I replaced it with Gliclzide, which seems to be working. I have now managed to reduce my Gliclazide doseage, and may soon be further reducing it again.

Fba

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have just started Forxiga yesterday. Was on metformin for about 3 years and then replaced it with Gliclozide for about another 2years. Neither medicine suited me so the nurse suggested I try Forxiga. Immediately I have lost some weight It must be fluid loss due to the amount of urine passed. I have been checking my BS very regularly since yesterday morning to see what is happening. So far good levels during the day but high at night. I am low carbing. Are you still taking it and if so how are you doing?

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have just started Forxiga yesterday. Was on metformin for about 3 years and then replaced it with Gliclozide for about another 2years. Neither medicine suited me so the nurse suggested I try Forxiga. Immediately I have lost some weight It must be fluid loss due to the amount of urine passed. I have been checking my BS very regularly since yesterday morning to see what is happening. So far good levels during the day but high at night. I am low carbing. Are you still taking it and if so how are you doing?
Hi, Yes I am still on Gliclazide, but I have reduced from 4 tabs a day down to 1 a day with an occasional second one as backup. I am averaging daily bgl of around 5,8 mmol/l, but when I take 2 Glics a day, I can go down below 4 mmol/l so I probably need 1.5 tabs a day. I am LCHF still and have stable weight (10 stones). My recent screening was good, but I have low sodium levels, so I am dropping the diuretic I was taking. I have upped my salt intake too, and since I have too low BP I have also reduced my BP meds accordingly.
I hope you have been advised about the possible occurrence of DKA when taking a -gliflozin type med (SGLT2 Inhibitor), There is an FDA warning on these meds and there is a forum thread under Other Diabetes Meds that I would advise you to peruse. Personally I could not get on with Forxiga although I like the principle on which it works, Januvia is another I have tried, but there is a risk of pancreatic damage from that one. Glic suits me and I now know that the low bgl I get are not too worrisome since I know where it bottoms out and its not dangerous except for driving (DVLA rules apply) I still have enough liver dump to recover if I low carb too much.

Susiespearish

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

The reason you are losing weight @Fba and getting good levels in the day is the way this drug works .It was explained to me by my diabetic consultant that you are passing more glucose out in your urine (that's the beneficial effect of these meds) Hence you lose weight despite eating the same as your literally passing more calories out .This effect clearly slows at night hence the higher night time readings. Has a lot of downsides too sadly .higher risk of dehydration and DKA and due to the passing of even more glucose in your urine can cause more UTI's and Thrush .Like you I started them yesterday.

mamawoody

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I had gestational diabetes in my last two pregnancies and was diagnosed with type 2 just over two months ago. I was put straight onto dapagliflozin as I did not tolerate Metformin when pregnant. So far so good! I haven't suffered with any of the side effects. I have reduced the amount of carbs I eat and make sure I drink plenty so maybe this is why? I feel great for the first time in ages and as a bonus I have lost a little weight, not a huge amount but I wasn't massively overweight to start with! I have yet to have my hba1c levels checked again so don't know as yet how effective it has been, but I'm hopeful

Nicksu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grumpy bosses!
A friend of mine's husband has been started on this drug. He last lost nearly a stone in 3 weeks on it.