Thoughts on effects of puberty on type 1 diabetes?

max_bonner

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
First time poster, long time reader of the forum.

If this was just a question I would be asking "Does puberty affect Type 1 diabetes?" Obviously the answer is going to be 'yes' - since it has profound effects on the whole body and glucose control is a fickle beast at the best of times...

Some background, I am Type 1 myself, have been for 23 years so am fine with helping and educating my youngest son on the day to day needs of sharing life with diabetes. I have twin older boys. Sadly my wife died of cancer 5 years ago, so I have been a single parent of my 3 boys since that time.

My youngest son is 11, soon turning 12 and was diagnosed at the age of 8. I never had to deal with diabetes at that age so I am constantly amazed and proud of how well he adapted and give or take the occasional bad day his control and management is as good as mine despite me having a 20 year head start.

He is confident and active and knows that being diabetic is not a reason to not do anything he wants in life, nor does he put up with any kind of discrimination.

A quick example of the kind of kid he is usually. Last year, we were eating out in a restaurant and he used his pen to inject his bolus discreetly under the table. This was noticed by a 'not very pleasant' woman from the opposite table who came up to us and stated "I think you should do that in the bathroom, because there are people here who don't like needles!", and before I even had a chance to get my hackles up, my son calmly stated "I don't like your hair, perhaps you should eat your food in the toilets!" :)

Anyway the reason I am posting this now is that on Saturday he was at his friends house to watch a movie, and when he came back he went straight to his room and just seemed quieter than his usual boisterous self.

I left it a while and then checked on him, it was clear that he was upset and had been crying. So we had a talk and he had upset himself because his bs was high (11.2) despite taking a split bolus for the pizza he had eaten 3 hours before. Then he said that maybe he had forgotten to take the other half of his bolus. I asked him how much he thought he had taken and all his maths were good (as usual) and all logged on his phone.

FYI: My son is very capable of calculating his carb/insulin requirements. But I have a rule that if he thinks he needs to take a correction dose he must tell either me, his older brothers or a teacher before he does so. As a family we eat a moderately low carb diet (nothing excessive), but things like pizza and treats are allowed on occassion.

So I told him ok, it was no big deal, and we will wait an hour and then correct if needed. That's when he told me the reason he had been crying was because he thought I would be disappointed in him for making a mistake. We talked some more and I reassured him I will never be disappointed etc. and reminded him that sometimes bs will do crazy things even if we do everything right.

This was the first time I had ever seen him genuinely upset about his diabetes, sure he has been frustrated at times, but this kind of shocked me, normally he would just have just said that he had made a mistake and probably made a joke of it, before sorting himself out.

So yes, he is at that age, he's growing fast and sprouting hair, and I'm sure his reaction was down to hormones as much as anything else.

I would love to hear from other parents of Type 1s who can share any experiences of changes in their child's emotional and physiological reactions to their diabetes, just so I can be better prepared for when it happens!

Thanks for reading :) [it wasn't meant to be so long]
Max

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
So yes, he is at that age, he's growing fast and sprouting hair, and I'm sure his reaction was down to hormones as much as anything else.

Sure it is @max_bonner , they go through these spurts where their hormones go haywire and their moods and emotions can be temperamental.

Welcome to the forum btw and my sincere condolences about your wife. Best wishes and take care.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, @max_bonner ,

Welcome to the forum.
Your son sounds like a great lad!

I was diagnosed bang on the 8th.
Yep, I went through my teens as a D. Interesting times of deep thought & tests of self control...

Good luck!

max_bonner

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My daughter is type 1 and is 12. Jesus christ on a bike. At times she is a MONSTER! My 14 year old (Not diabetic) was NEVER as bad as her. But saying that, girls are worse than boys at this wonderful time of their lives!!

Ha ha yes, I have 14 year old twin boys as well and they are a bit of a handful (are girls really worse?? :) ) - in fact right now, the 11 year old is the mature one :p So I am kind of hoping he stays that way!

Thanks for the welcomes: @Jaylee, @noblehead

I am fully expecting the usual teenage hormonal angst, I just don't have personal experience of how it can affect diabetes control and management, but I guess like any T1 we all get affected by things in very different ways.

Thank you all for your kind words.

CathP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Your boy sounds amazing ❤️ The have twin girls of 6 (1 who's t1) and a 4 year old boy. I'm moving out in 8 years max...puberty+t1 sounds horrendous!x

max_bonner

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Your boy sounds amazing ❤️ The have twin girls of 6 (1 who's t1) and a 4 year old boy. I'm moving out in 8 years max...puberty+t1 sounds horrendous!x

All kids with diabetes are amazing and so are their parents. We should be proud to say that (even if they are not perfect!)

My biggest fear of the teenage years is him rebelling against his diabetes and doing harm to himself. I am hoping, since he is not the only T1 in the family and that it is something we both work on with each other, that we can solve any issues he may have as he gets older.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Can't help or give advice but just wanted to say your 11yr old sounds like he's got his head screwed on right, just like his dad - 'I don't like your hair'...........what a come back!

You sir, are doing a fantastic job!

max_bonner

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
'I don't like your hair'...........what a come back!

:D Yes, I felt very proud at his response! I have always made it clear to him that his diabetes is not some 'dirty little secret' that needs to be hidden away. If he needs to test or inject he should do so, just keeping in mind that not everyone likes needles or blood. That woman in the restaurant was just looking to make a scene...

Poosecat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There are a couple of books I've heard of. Can't remember their names specifically. One aimed at parents of teens and one aimed at teens. I'm sure if you google you might find them

BeccyB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The emotion could have been linked to his BS being higher than normal too. Unsettled hormones and unsettled BS do not mix well - when I was in puberty a hypo would turn me into the hulk! Seriously, my friend sat on "My" seat and I picked her up off it....by the neck :mad::eek:

I rebelled big time in my teens and my sugars were all over the place - but my parents knew very little of it. It sounds like you have a great relationship with him though, I think you should just try to keep those lines of communication open. Perhaps you could encourage him to join the forum too, it could help him to find others around his own age to talk with. It's the time in our lives when 'differences' start to become more important to us I think, teens tend to move in packs - whether they are defined by dress sense, music taste, religion, favorite team or a million other factors. He may start to resent his diabetes for making him different, or if you're lucky he may be one of those people that grasps his 'usp' and turns it into a positive.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
There are a couple of books I've heard of. Can't remember their names specifically. One aimed at parents of teens and one aimed at teens. I'm sure if you google you might find them

There's one called Type 1 Diabetes in Children, Adolescents & Young Adults, the author is Ragnar Hanas, apparently it's a very good read full of helpful information & advice.

max_bonner

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There's one called Type 1 Diabetes in Children, Adolescents & Young Adults, the author is Ragnar Hanas, apparently it's a very good read full of helpful information & advice.

Thanks @noblehead and agreed, it is already well-read on the shelf, and I would certainly recommend it to others.

The emotion could have been linked to his BS being higher than normal too. Unsettled hormones and unsettled BS do not mix well

I'm sure you are right about his emotional moment at the weekend @BeccyB. I see you were diagnosed at the same age my son was. And it's good to hear from someone who went through it themselves. Of course I expect him to rebel to some extent, that's an important part of growing up. I just want to minimize any impact on his health.

He already sees himself as the 'team leader' in charge of his diabetes, with doctors, nurses and myself just part of his team. He can and will question HCPs if he doesn't understand or disagrees with what they say. I am hoping, since I have given him that responsibility at a young age, it will carry through the difficult years and that he wont see his condition as something he has no control over.

I guess time will tell...

Reactions: BeccyB