Thoughts

RJD2017

Hi All,

Going through a tough time at present and have allowed Stress and anxiety to get the better of me as I was concerned about Diabetes. I purchased a monitor this week to test myself and have ranged from 4.2 - 6.3mmol at various times throughout the day over the last week. Fasting never got above 5.5 each day.
Went to the GP this morning to discuss this and they carried out a fasting test (fingerprick) which came back with a reading of 7.1 They have ordered lab blood tests - fasting and hb1ac.
This however has severely increased my stress levels. Dr suggested this simple test to be a red herring and that lab tests would be conclusive but none the less it’s served to severely increase stress levels. Should I be concerned over this 7.1

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All,

Going through a tough time at present and have allowed Stress and anxiety to get the better of me as I was concerned about Diabetes. I purchased a monitor this week to test myself and have ranged from 4.2 - 6.3mmol at various times throughout the day over the last week. Fasting never got above 5.5 each day.
Went to the GP this morning to discuss this and they carried out a fasting test (fingerprick) which came back with a reading of 7.1 They have ordered lab blood tests - fasting and hb1ac.
This however has severely increased my stress levels. Dr suggested this simple test to be a red herring and that lab tests would be conclusive but none the less it’s served to severely increase stress levels. Should I be concerned over this 7.1
Had you tested yourself beforehand?

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree with your doc that the lab test would give a better result as numbers on glucometers can vary. I understand you being stressed though. At least know we're all here to chat to whatever the outcome. I wish you the best. :)

Reactions: RJD2017

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes about 30 minutes prior to the appointment and was reading 5.3
Could have been the stress of going to the docs... that can have an impact on blood glucose especially if you are susceptible to stress type reactions. I'm guessing they only did one test and had you washed your hands before the test (i'm thinking the test finger could have been contaminated with something). There are loads of reasons why one test could be higher than another maybe even the exertion of getting to the surgery. I'd wait until the HbA1c test results come back and you'll know more. I know its easy for me to say but my bloods were far higher than yours on diagnosis so you will be ok for a while anyway and your own readings are excellent (my FBG was 6.0 this morning ).

Reactions: RJD2017

RJD2017

Could have been the stress of going to the docs... that can have an impact on blood glucose especially if you are susceptible to stress type reactions. I'm guessing they only did one test and had you washed your hands before the test (i'm thinking the test finger could have been contaminated with something). There are loads of reasons why one test could be higher than another maybe even the exertion of getting to the surgery. I'd wait until the HbA1c test results come back and you'll know more. I know its easy for me to say but my bloods were far higher than yours on diagnosis so you will be ok for a while anyway and your own readings are excellent (my FBG was 6.0 this morning ).

Thanks both.
It was only one test

Reactions: Mep