Three days in!

welshrarebit

Hello everyone,
Jenny speaking, diagnosed t2 on Wed, know the rules and tips, still confused.
I thought after 3 days on medication and hardly eating a thing I would be feeling better, but no.
I have underactive thyroid (on meds) high blood pressure (on meds) and now this. I am sure things will become clearer however I was just wondering if anyone knows: Can high blood glucose affect your thyroid because at the moment I am feeling all the symptons of when I was first diagnosed with underactive thyroid. Thanks for listening, sorry for moaning.
Jen

notafanofsugar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
everything good for me! getting better though x
Hi Jen - spiking blood sugars do lead to complications so I wouldn't be surprised but I'm not categorically sure. Either way im sure someone here will kno x

Sent from Diabetes.co.uk Forum App

hallii

I do not agree with "hardly eating", that can do more harm than good, you need to eat but eat low carbohydrates.

You should not strive for rapid and dramatic improvements in BGs, this can cause other problems, so just go steady and reduce Bgs over months.

If I don't eat properly I soon feel pretty rough, tired, headache, dizzy and so on.

Don't expect to much to soon, remember that us "oldies" need a bit more time for our bodies to respond to changes.

If you still feel "not right" you should go and see the doctor, and again, I know us "oldies" don't go to the doctor as soon as we should.

I use the term "oldies" in an affectionate and caring way, since when I queried the use of this term with my sons/daughters and their partners (I had been eavesdropping) they assured me it was meant in that particular way. Somehow I am not so sure....

H

welshrarebit

Thanks for the replies, I have been feeling a bit nauseous so not able to eat really, sure that wont last long!! This oldie is off to the doc again !! think they are sick to death of me quite frankly!!

Jen

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The so called Newcastle diet is severe with a very low calorie intake. It warns of the early initial side effects:

"During the first few days of the diet, you may experience some symptoms like
- headache
- dizziness
- tiredness
- hunger
- cold
These are expected as your body adjust to using your fat store as energy source.
The symptoms will improve after 2-4 days. It is important to keep up your fluid intake and remember to wrap up warmly!"

If you are hardly eating, you may get the same. Always best to start by cutting down on sweet stuff, then fats and carbs and see how you get on. Don't scare yourself, steady does it.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Not too bad at all thanks. I eliminated the real cause of my type 2, sweets, biscuits, chocolate bars so that had a big effect. I'm also watching my normal foods and monitoring my BG. White bread causes spikes almost as bad as chocolates. So I stick to full grains, brown rice, wholegrain pasta, rye bread and so on. I do a lot of cooking and cut down on oils, 1 teaspoon rather than the recipe's usual tablespoon, all that sort of thing. BG is reduced and weight is lost. It's a matter of keeping it up. Pumpernickel, smidgin of butter, smoked norwegian salmon with some dill sauce for supper. Not quite the same as a lamb bhuna with all the trimmings but fish is good for yuo and I do like it. I just have to get into the habit of making sure things like smoked mackerel are in the freezer.

Looking at the posts in this forum, it appears that many people find a suitable and enjoyable diet which works for them and which lowers their BG.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
hallii said:
Don't expect to much to soon, remember that us "oldies" need a bit more time for our bodies to respond to changes.

A bit more time to do anything in my case.