1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2017 »
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Thyroid And Type 1diabetes

Discussion in 'Other Health Conditions and Diabetes' started by himtoo, Aug 18, 2016.

1. ann34+

ann34+ Type 1 · Well-Known Member

your doctor can prescribe to lower your TSH into the normal reference range - which is set by your area/country - but i would be very worried if he or she is giving you any extra thyroid hormone to help you lose weight if your TSH is now in range.
    This can lead to a faster heart rate than is safe. You do not say what your age range is - if you are an older person it would be even more dangerous. Recent research, anyway, on older people, is finding that a wider reference range seems to be safer. Other recent research finds that even a FT4 at the higher end of normal range has risks when older

2. magsiesss

magsiesss Type 2 · Well-Known Member

My thyroid is not in range .....

After having had 50 mcg Levo for 2 months and having had no weight loss - despite eating better and exercising - my TSH levels had increased whilst my BS levels went from 141 to 38 within 5 months ...

3. ann34+

ann34+ Type 1 · Well-Known Member

thanks for clarifying - you doctor may have been giving you a misleading impression - he is prescribing to get your TSH in range, and hoping this will also lead you to lose weight. It may do, it may not, i don't know. in my case, i was not over normal BMI, but had gained a little weight, but more especially inches round the middle, and getting to a perfect thyroid profile with medication did not change that at all - or for my relatives. Keeping weight from going up became routine for all of us. But everyone is different - your doctor is likely to know more about what might be likely in you case.

4. himtoo

himtoo Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

thought I would FINALLY add an update -- after not feeling right since first posting this thread -- I have finally been prescribed an additional 25 mcg of levothyroxine ( total 75mcg now )

I start on this dose tomorrow -- so hopefully I will be able to lose some weight going forward

GP wants me back in 3 months to re- test thyroid levels

fingers crossed xxx

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. Snapsy

Snapsy Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Yay @himtoo - that's fabulous!

I have my dose changed every now again - last time, earlier this year, was really annoying as I was unexpectedly on too much and had already gone a few too many stops on the bus route back to Bonkersville!

Good to know they're following you up with another test in 3 months - with luck that extra 25mcg will make all the difference.

Hugs from Snapsy!
    :happy::happy::happy:

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. himtoo

himtoo Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

bonkersville is on my bus route too !!!!!
    it is a tiny backwater with a very SLOW service to normality in my neck( thyroid ) of the woods.....

.......suspect it is the express bus in your neighbourhood ..... :D

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. Snapsy

In my own neck of the woods the bus service ground to a halt thanks to localised radioactive fallout - the replacement monorail has been known to fall off its tracks from time to time due to taking the corners too fast.......
    ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. scotlady

scotlady Type 1 · Newbie

I've been Type 1 for 48 years and taking Levothyroxine for about 25. My GP at the time reckoned you were likely to be hypothyroid if you met the four Fs: fair-skinned, female, fertile, forty+ . I was, and was also miserable - tired, cold, depressed, hair coming out like mad, depleting eyebrows, dry skin. My sister, also type 1, also needed thyroxine and so did our father. I now take 125mcg and results indicate it as being too much but without it I feel dire. Had a recent bone density scan as thyroxine can effect it but it was OK.
    It does take while to start feeling better on the Thyroxine tabs and getting the dose right with tests every few months.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Snapsy

Ooooh I didn't know about this - I wonder if I might get that checked out. Thanks for the heads-up, @scotlady !
    :)

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Fearless36

Fearless36 · Well-Known Member

I had t1 diabetes for 32 years, and then last October got rushed to hospital with an illness. As part of that, my thyroid function was below par and I got prescribed thyroxin. I'm only on 75 at the moment which is okay but hoping I can eventually give it up.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. Contralto

Contralto Other · Well-Known Member

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. KimWheeler

KimWheeler · Active Member

Two good books are Stop the thyroid madness and one by DrPeatfield. They explain things really clearly

13. Contralto

Contralto Other · Well-Known Member

rather read real people on the forum. Tired of docs

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook