thyroid function test

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I've just come back from the nurse and my annual review HbA1cis 38[5.6%] liver function tests all normal and cholesterol excellent Total - 4.4mmol/L HDL 1.9 so ratio is 1.9 well above ideal of >1.2 LDL well below ideal of ,4.0 at 1.6
The only thing that bothers me is TSH t5hyroid function test 3.82, the range quoted on the print-out is 0.27 - 4.2 Problem is I have several annoying low thyroid symptoms. . the higher the TSH, the more likely the gland isn't working properly. The American rqang for TSH is 0.3 - 3.0. On that I would be treated. Here I suppose I have to live with symptoms.
Hana

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
I wouldn't be too worried at that. My sons TSH level was 260 and only mildly symptomatic of a problem.

captainlynne

They've been keeping an eye on my thyroid levels. Latest blood test showed TSH at 4.47 which is classed as normal (only just!). As I am showing many of the symptoms of sub-clinical thyroid probs I went to see GP, to be told they've got new guidelines and have to do blood test for antibodies. So off to see vampire again next week so they can check antibodies, iron, etc. :roll:

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
I have never had a thyroid test out of the "normal" range, but I was showing so many symptoms (Thyroid UK have an enormous list, but they include dry skin, hair loss, weight problems, period problems, constant tiredness - you probably know better than me!) that my doctor agreed to treat me. I am now on 100mg ?mcg) of levothyroxine daily and I feel so much better, it's just not true.

It's worth pushing for treatment if it's affecting you. Sub-clinical hypothyroidism is not uncommon, and the treatment is not expensive.

As far as I know it's many years since the 'normal' thyroid range was determined. It wouldn't surprise me if it was done using male patients only - I'd be very pleased if someone can tell me I'm wrong on both of those!

Viv 8)

goji

Hi Hanna

It might be an idea to ask for the antibodies test to be done. This indicates whether you have an underlying disease process going on with your thyroid.

It is entirely possible for a person to be hypothyroid at a TSH that is elevated 'for you' but still in the 'reference range' as studies show that each individual has very tightly controlled levels of TSH so small incremental changes can be problematic.

Unfortunately there are a lot of problems in the UK with geting thyroid treatment as patients are exected to wait until their TSH is over 10. In other countries you would get treatment.