thyroid

lyns

My 4 year old was diagnosed with type 1 15 months ago and today we were told she has an under active thyroid and will require thyroxine for the rest of her life. I feel devastated and have so many questions going round my head right now, has anyone been through similar?
All advice welcome, thanks.

Trina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People who don't try, negative thinking
Hello
I'm no youngster but had an over active thyroid, in fact had what was called a goitre so looked a wee bit lop sided around the neck area. Anyway had an operation but like your little one am on thyroxine for the rest of my life. It appears it is quite common for type 1 diabetics. For me all it means is taking a tablet each day and whenever I have a blood test the thyroid action is checked.

Hope this helps

mary76

lyns said:
My 4 year old was diagnosed with type 1 15 months ago and today we were told she has an under active thyroid and will require thyroxine for the rest of her life. I feel devastated and have so many questions going round my head right now, has anyone been through similar?
All advice welcome, thanks.
just wanted to let you know that my twin sister and I were both diagnosed with T1 before we were 5, and both have a number other endocrine problems diagnosed over time, at that moment they are investigating what's going on with my thyroid, but we both managed to have a full and active childhood. We still went on school trips, went on sleep overs, played sport and did all the normal things children do, it took work, but I went to university, have been working for over 10 years and am now doing my masters. I hope things get easier, lot us know when you have a question.

Abrienda

Most of the causes of hypothyroidism cannot be prevented, with the exception of medication-induced hypothyroidism and iodine deficiency, which are largely preventable.