timing of pre-bolusing on a pump

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
hi pumpers !!:)
I have been doing some experimenting with pre-bolusing to try and improve post prandial spikes..........

my question is.

when choosing a pre bolus timing -- do you count from the moment you start the bolus or from when the bolus finishes
( Ie : I bolused 20 minutes before eating or 25 minutes before eating ( pump bolus delivery time being the difference ))

on MDI -- the whole bolus goes in at once -- on a pump the delivery rate of the pump means a 9u bolus can take a few minutes to totally deliver..........

Reactions: Snapsy

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Oooooh @himtoo I've never really thought about the delayed bit of a multiwave bolus in terms of timing.

*sharpens pencil earnestly*

Will have a closer look. I think I've winged it up to now, frankly, just counting from the first bit wot goes in, like.

I always split any bolus that's over 5u as a matter of course, delivering (usually) half in one go, and the other half over the next 15 minutes. That's usually only ever in the evenings, when I have my biggest carb count of the day.

:writer::wacky::bookworm:

Reactions: himtoo

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
@Snapsy
not really asking about a multiwave bolus............... if I have a normal meal like tonight -- salad , new potato , cold meat
my total carbs were 41 -- the bolus of 10.05u I delivered from my pump took approx. 4 minutes to deliver

( on MDI my entire 10u would have been delivered immediately instead of a 4 min delay )

so do we start from zero or from +4 min for the pre bolus timing from eating for looking at further adjustments in pre-bolusing timing
( hope this makes sense )

with a bigger bolus the length of time it takes for the bolus to deliver increases as well.............. just a thought :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
so do we start from zero or from +4 min for the pre bolus timing from eating for looking at further adjustments in pre-bolusing timing
( hope this makes sense )

The question is answered in postprandial bg testing.

I find the subject of pre-bolusing fascinating, some have to bolus 30+mins ahead where as others can get away with 5-20 mins, it just another reason why the saying ''we are all different'' is true when it comes to managing diabetes.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Oh I seeeeee, @himtoo ! 4 minutes doesn't sound as if it would make a massive difference in the great scheme of things - although I guess it depends on what the pre bolusing timescale itself is. I mean, 4 minutes delivery duration 40 minutes ahead of food would perhaps have a different effect than, say, 4 minutes after pre bolusing that is timed for just 10 minutes before eating?

#hmmm
#brainhurts

:)

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Take your time from the middle of the bolus period @himtoo!

Most of the apps that download pumps use the initiation of the bolus entry as the entry time, rather than the end time, so I'd go with that, as you effectively have insulin on board from that point.