Tingling in toes

Gaz77

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm really worried now, I've been injecting with lantus and apidra after each meal, its working well most of the time, between 4.2 + 9 generally but tonight I've got tingling and numbness isy left toes and foot, is this the start of complication s and will it presumably end in amputation or what?? Its the first time I've really noticed atoms because I've been managing well for the last few weeks ,now this has gote upset and depressed again thinking of the future, I hope anyone can give me some advice, thank you, Gary

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi @Gaz77 that's a tricky question to answer. It may or may not be. It would depend on how long you'd been Type 1, how well you'd managed your glucose levels over that time period and could easily be linked to some trauma or other that had occurred that had nothing to do with diabetes.

Most of us would recommend a visit to your GP, a chiropodist or the diabetes clinic at your hospital for further investigation.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
A trip to you GP would definately be the best course of action here.

Gaz77

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been only diagnosed in Apr but my bllods are well managed and my diet isn't to bad I keep away from sweets, biscuit's also but been spina bifida, I can't tolerate the high fibre diet so that's the only thing, I eat white bread sandwiches and no other hi fibre breakfast, but thankfully eggs are ok

scumine

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Cardio lol
I would get it checked at doctors Hun or diabetes clinic.it could be caused by a number of things, but us diabetics must be extra careful.

XBel

If you go to the nurse or doc they can do a test with a bit of fishing line to see how sensitive your feet are..... but in addition to that, i would recommend you start measuring the circumference of your feet, as i had a tingling feeling when my foot started to swell up with water retention....

On a positive note, numbness doesn't mean amputation! Daily checking of ones feet for wounds/damage and getting immediate treatment for anything found can stop risk of amputation!

Tony Williams

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Try taking 600mg of Alpha-Lipoic Acid daily. It helps with Neuropathy. Google it and do some research. Some even claim it reverses nerve damage.

Gaz77

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks everyone for replying but I've noticed my toes and foot gave now swelled also, even after been told that taking b complex (2 daily) would help, I only started 1 week though, yes I'll definitely try alpha lipoic acid also, but unfortunately I've only got new calipers which were measured about 2 months ago when things were OK so I hopey foot doesn't swell too much, I've only been diagnosed 3 months but I'm so depressed, I've even started drinking again ( to add to my misery I'm an alcoholic and before been diagnosed I was alcohol free three years,I used to go out an drink non alcohic beer or minerals but can't now so I checked and saw Guinness was best for BG, I just thought there's nothing to live for now so why not, I'm going to get this or that in the future anyway, I have had 3 really bad days ( alcoholic free but so down) so sorry if I'm rambling, thanks for all your suggestions

jamin1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm really worried now, I've been injecting with lantus and apidra after each meal, its working well most of the time, between 4.2 + 9 generally but tonight I've got tingling and numbness isy left toes and foot, is this the start of complication s and will it presumably end in amputation or what?? Its the first time I've really noticed atoms because I've been managing well for the last few weeks ,now this has gote upset and depressed again thinking of the future, I hope anyone can give me some advice, thank you, Gary

jamin1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey, don't panic so much, we always think of the worst case possible. I use lantus but only as a single jab every 24 hrs. Insulin can cause a horrible numbness n weird feeling in yr legs, i have experienced alot of this. Especial when first diagnosed, n the nurses wouldn't believe me, it turned out to be just 2 inits of insulin to much, that i had to fix my self.

jamin1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey, don't panic so much, we always think of the worst case possible. I use lantus but only as a single jab every 24 hrs. Insulin can cause a horrible numbness n weird feeling in yr legs, i have experienced alot of this. Especial when first diagnosed, n the nurses wouldn't believe me, it turned out to be just 2 inits of insulin to much, that i had to fix my self.

Gaz77

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's great Jasmin thanks, maybe it is too much, I inject lantus only once in 24hr so maybe 12 units and 1/3units of apidra ( but only my dinner is exceptionally heavy or a lot) so I'll try what you suggested, u also sound very positive, thank u very much :)

jamin1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's great Jasmin thanks, maybe it is too much, I inject lantus only once in 24hr so maybe 12 units and 1/3units of apidra ( but only my dinner is exceptionally heavy or a lot) so I'll try what you suggested, u also sound very positive, thank u very much :)

jamin1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
We are all different as you know, i was just giving my ex ample, plz dont adjust yr meds without full consultation. Never change without your doctors say so,

jamin1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I know take 50 units of lantus per 24hrs with no bad effects. I think this was my body getting used too the insulin. Take care hope things improve soon