TIPS FOR DLA

stoney

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Everyone

I posted recently to say that we were awaiting a reply with regard to the Disability Living Allowance, well we have heard and we have been turned down. You can Appeal by filling out a form GL24 from the Job Centre Plus which I have now got so we are going to give it a try rather than take their first decision. I will let you know what happens next but in the meantime if ANYONE has any tips for the Appeal, it would be very much appreciated.

:thumbup:

Finzi

Firstly look at what descriptors you are claiming and be prepared to try to find SPECIFIC examples of how you meet them. If you can get back up medical evidence (or any other kind of independent evidence) that is so, so helpful. DEFINITELY attend your appeal, don't opt for a paper appeal. Paper appeals are very hard to allow unless there is absolutely incontrovertible and overwhelming independent medical evidence to back up your specific claim.

In the hearing don't lie (goes without saying) and don't exaggerate. The panel will have seen countless people with diabetes before, they will know what's realistic and what isn't.

Try to get represented - success rates are higher with representation, and much lower without an oral hearing (ie a paper case)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

stoney

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Hi to all concerned

Have had a letter back from the Works and Pension (DLA) who have turned down our application for further DLA which was the middle rate.

Before appealing, I have written to them asking them to reconsider and provided them with a bit more information and mentioned that although being turned down for the middle rate, the lower rate does not seem to have been considered either which from what I have read, the lower rate is for a child needing extra looking after for some of the day which can be as little as an hour and the hours involved with James far exceeds that.

This I sent off last week and have had a further letter saying they are looking again at all the information that they have and it can take up to 11 weeks for a decision to be given. So watch this space :roll:

p.s. Thanks Finzi for the info

caretaker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I get DLA but I do have lots of complications with my diabetes I have limited visual field so I can not drive I have lost two toes on my right foot and lost my lower left leg.
You could try the Citizen’s Advice to help you fill in the form. I did and spent 2 hours with someone who new the right answers to the right questions. Some disability organizations help do the same, you think you no the right things to say but it’s not what they want to hear. Beware not all CABs are good I went to my local one in a wheel chair and was told I wasn’t ill enough and had no chance. I then made an appointment in the next town and they found me someone who specialized in this sort of thing.
Good Luck

kezz01489

Dislikes
Judgemental people, everyone is entitled to their opinion but when people don't listen they will never learn. I know that cause that's how I used to be.
Hi hun i get dla they are quite strict. Its also the smaller things like becaise im hypo unaware i cant use public transport i need taxis. I cant cook during the day incase i hypo and cause a fire by leaving the cooker on or hurt myself. I cant lock the toilet door. Last time i worked i collapsed on a desk cutting my head open. Its things like this as well as that u try to control it very hard and even so these hypos happen. Ect. As lpng as they see everything and are aware of how you control yourself. I hope it helps. Xxxxx
Sent from my GT-S5670 using DCUK Forum mobile app