Tired of inflamed sites

Sangheili

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I've had the pump for over 4 years now. I went through the education on it and everything, and was able to change my infusion sets without incident. I initially put it on my stomach and switched sides every 3 days, but got tired of the fat pockets the pump caused, so I've since moved to my thighs. Anyway, every time I put in a new infusion set now, it itches and hurts within a day. Sometimes I can see redness around the site which is alarming (but my insurance is very anal about how many supplies I get so I sometimes just power through). I want to know why this is happening. It's painful and worrisome. My thighs look scary...I'd honestly post a picture if it wasn't upsetting! Why would it be fine for years? Does the speed of the insulin (like how much a second or whatever) affect this? The only difference is a new device, but the infusion sets have stayed the same. I do have an appointment next week but I'm so frustrated.

Reactions: finn99

genix

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Is it infection or is it alergy? If it's alergy use a tegaderm over your skin and shoot the set through that. If it's infection wipe the area with chlorhexidine until dry and either cover it with a tegaderm and put the set through again or forgo the tegaderm and just put your set through the dry chlorhexidine. That will 99% fix either problem.

Sometimes alergy builds up over many days, weeks, or years and all you can do is stop it for awhile or put a barrier over the top ( tegaderm is a fantastic non messy initial solution for that)

Last edited:
Reactions: MushyPeaBrain

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Anyway, every time I put in a new infusion set now, it itches and hurts within a day. Sometimes I can see redness around the site which is alarming (but my insurance is very anal about how many supplies I get so I sometimes just power through). I want to know why this is happening. It's painful and worrisome.

If it's happening all the time then you need to make your diabetes care team aware of the problem, especially if it's painful and the infusion site is inflamed. It may well be an allergy, I'll tag some experienced long-time pump users who may be able to offer some advice @azure @iHs @CarbsRok

Does the speed of the insulin (like how much a second or whatever) affect this?

More likely the bolus dose administered than the speed. On one of my pump training days the Rep said that bolus doses over 7u should be extended to give the insulin time to absorb into the site (or some explanation along those lines), I've taken that advice on board and although most of my boluses are 5-6u if I bolus more I use a Dual-Wave bolus, meaning bolusing say 50% upfront and the rest over a 30 min period.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've had the pump for over 4 years now. I went through the education on it and everything, and was able to change my infusion sets without incident. I initially put it on my stomach and switched sides every 3 days, but got tired of the fat pockets the pump caused, so I've since moved to my thighs. Anyway, every time I put in a new infusion set now, it itches and hurts within a day. Sometimes I can see redness around the site which is alarming (but my insurance is very anal about how many supplies I get so I sometimes just power through). I want to know why this is happening. It's painful and worrisome. My thighs look scary...I'd honestly post a picture if it wasn't upsetting! Why would it be fine for years? Does the speed of the insulin (like how much a second or whatever) affect this? The only difference is a new device, but the infusion sets have stayed the same. I do have an appointment next week but I'm so frustrated.

Which pump do you have and what cannulas do you use?

Have you tried another body area eg your bum, to see if you get the same reaction?

I occasionally get itchy and slightly red looking sites for no apparent reason, but what you're describing sounds far more extreme.

Definitely speak to your DSN and get their input.

ann34+

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Have you recently started any new medication? Many have skin side effects, or enhance allergies. Have you recently been diagnosed with another autoimmune disease? Also, what age category are you in? If post-menopause, skin texture can change. I had problems and it took ages to find what the problems were related to, now sorted things at last.