Told not to get a blood glucose meter

TREVIE99

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi after a routine blood test I was told I was a type 2 diabetic with a HBA1c reading of 60 after a second fasting test it was now at 57. This was 4 weeks ago and having lost 8 kg and down to 80 kg I had an appointment with the diabetic nurse. All the usual advise but the one thing that has confused me is after I asked whether I need a blood glucose meter she told me "no they are now being phased out and not to bother. My concern is how do I know what foods are affecting my levels if I don't test my blood sugar. My bmi is just under 25 but my blood pressure is high. She is talking about tablets for my blood pressure and statins for my slightly high cholesterol and a drug beginning with M that I can't remember what she called it. Would appreciate some advice on the use of the blood glucose meter thanks Trev.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @TREVIE99 and welcome to the forum.

Sadly the advice your nurse gave you about meters is very common. As you say, having one will help you to see the effect foods have on your levels and adjust your diet accordingly. I would strongly recommend that you get one if you can afford to (it is the strips that cost).

Tagging @AM1874 who has useful information about meters and @daisy1 for some other helpful information.

And well done on your initial weight loss.

Last edited:
Reactions: ziggy_w

TREVIE99

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks for the reply and so fast are you on nights too
Without sounding thick how do I tag someone in this group for the info

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Hi @TREVIE99 .. and welcome
You have certainly made a good move coming here. Since joining this forum, the folks here have given me so much info, advice and support that I am now much more confident about the journey ahead. So ask your questions and be assured that you will receive the answers that you need. It can all seem uphill to start with but, in my experience, it gets easier .. very quickly.

There is a lot of conflicting and sometimes confusing information around .. but the key point to take on board is that managing and controlling your diabetes (or pre-diabetes) through exercise, diet and testing your blood glucose seems to be the best way forward for many people. For me, committing to an LCHF (Low Carb High Fat) lifestyle and testing 3-5 times a day seems to be working and you'll find that there is a wealth of info, relevant advice and positive support about LCHF on the forum ..

I see that @Goonergal has already tagged @ daisy1 for you and I suggest that you read up on the valuable material that she will soon be sending you. I think that you might also find the discussion on the Low Carb Diet forum helpful .. together with the following Diet Doctor websites, which will give you all the info that you need about carb levels and about what and what not to eat ...
Low Carb Intro and Information and Low Carbs in 60 Seconds

Unless you are prescribed a test meter and strips by your Doc (unlikely), it is a priority that you get yourself one and, for this, the following websites might help:
https://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/
for the SD Codefree meter, which costs £12.98 or:
http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-blood-glucose-meter/
who distribute the TEE 2 meter, which is free.
I have both which I alternate for comparative purposes and I have never found any significant difference between them.

The costs of testing comes down to the ongoing charges for test strips and lancets. Make sure that you tick the appropriate box on the on-line order form and you won't pay VAT on your meter or strips.
For the SD Codefree, the strips are £7.69 for a pack of 50 and there are discount codes available for bulk purchases:
5 packs x 50 use code: 264086 .. cost is £29.49
10 packs x 50 use code: 975833 .. cost is £58.98
For the TEE 2, the strips are £7.75 for a pack of 50 .. but there are no discount codes currently available

I'm testing 3-5 times a day which works out at around £10 to £12 per month for either of the two packages above but, more importantly, I now know what my BG levels are .. and I can now manage them

Hope this helps

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the reply and so fast are you on nights too
Without sounding thick how do I tag someone in this group for the info

Hi

Not on nights - just an early riser! Will be at work by 7.30. To tag someone type the @ symbol and start typing their name. You'll get suggestions and then click on the name you want.

Reactions: Robkww

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
All good advice above. I use the Codefree meter (I pay for it myself). Over time you will understand what works for you and you don't then need to test so often.

I always test FBG in the morning, this is a good general indicator on how I am doing. If I then try new foods I will test 2 hours after the meal as it will help me understand the impact the food has on my BG level.

D

Diabeticliberty

Hello @TREVIE99 the medication that you have been prescribed beginning with M maybe Metformin. If it is then take a little bit of care at first as quite a lot of users report that they find it makes them go to the toilet quite a lot and at some very unexpected times. This can prove to be a little bit embarrassing. Regarding blood testing equipment refusal / denial this is something that a lot of type 2 diabetics and now some type 1's are starting to face. Having just been diagnosed you probably have loads on your plate to deal with and take in. Once things settle for you a little bit though there is no need to take what you have been told lying down and you can challenge your nurse's decision. Ultimately you may change surgeries since not all doctors are as blinkered and narrow minded as yours appear to be. The Codefree that has been mentioned does appear to be the cheapest if you are forced to self fund. I would personally strongly advise against not blood testing since I equate it to driving really fast in busy traffic with your eyes closed. Good luck with everything.

Reactions: ziggy_w and John4h

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@TREVIE99

Hello Trev and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope it will be useful for you. In particular have a look at the link to the Low Carb Program. Ask as many questions as you want and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEW MEMBERS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 250,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a free 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. They're all free.
  • Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why
  • Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.

Reactions: kim2109

toftyac1824

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
T2
Hmmm - not what the ladies on the DESMOND courses advocate. They're all for self-testing and as far as I'm aware, meters are not being phased out at all. I'm also Type 2, but I had GD when pregnant with my youngest, so still had my BG monitor. I buy my strips and lancets wherever I can find them the cheapest and test a couple of times a day, every day. I've found testing an enormous help and when I've been back to Diabetic Clinic my DNS is always happy to see my readings.

Reactions: ziggy_w and dbr10

Sam50

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi after a routine blood test I was told I was a type 2 diabetic with a HBA1c reading of 60 after a second fasting test it was now at 57. This was 4 weeks ago and having lost 8 kg and down to 80 kg I had an appointment with the diabetic nurse. All the usual advise but the one thing that has confused me is after I asked whether I need a blood glucose meter she told me "no they are now being phased out and not to bother. My concern is how do I know what foods are affecting my levels if I don't test my blood sugar. My bmi is just under 25 but my blood pressure is high. She is talking about tablets for my blood pressure and statins for my slightly high cholesterol and a drug beginning with M that I can't remember what she called it. Would appreciate some advice on the use of the blood glucose meter thanks Trev.
hi and welcome to the forum :) my Hubby was diagnosed in June as a T2 and like yourself the diabetic nurse tried to prescribe Metformin, statins and mumbled about BP drugs. He wasn't keen to take any medication and has adopted the low carb diet that many diabetics follow. Do buy a BG monitor and test yourself before and after eating ( so you can see which foods spike your BG) it is the only way to gain control over this condition.

Be aware that other factors such as stress, lack of sleep and illness can also elevate BG as can vigorous exercise (!) A low carb diet will aid you in weight loss. No snacking between meals and intermittent fasting are also used by members of the forum. After nearly 3 months my Hubby has seen significant improvements, without having to take (yet) any medication. Good luck and have a good read of the forum x:happy:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Hi and welcome to the club.
Brilliant weight loss. :)
If you had a meter you would also be reporting your blood sugar numbers!

Your nurse is wrong. Meters are not being phased out. They have been "out" for several years other than in exceptional circumstances. The vast majority of us type 2s have to self fund a meter and the strips, but we do it because they are essential. Without one you are working blind. How else would you know if that piece of fruit, or potato, or breakfast cereal has raised your levels and needs to be eliminated (or reduced in portion size). Please don't be confused - of course we need to test.

The drug she talks about will be Metformin, the first line diabetes drug.

Before accepting statins, please do some research, especially if your cholesterol is only slightly high. Which part of your cholesterol is slightly high - there are different bits and you need to know what the full breakdown is. You will find this out if you contact the surgery and ask for print outs of your blood tests (or ask if your surgery puts test results on line, and how to register for this).

Hampshire_Lad

but the one thing that has confused me is after I asked whether I need a blood glucose meter she told me "no they are now being phased out and not to bother. My concern is how do I know what foods are affecting my levels if I don't test my blood sugar. .

Hi,
I too saw a diabetic nurse today after a 5 week wait. She told me that as my HBA1c reading is 61 so I would not and should not be given a tester kit as they are only given to people taking tablets or injecting insulin. She said with a healthy diet (including a smaller portion of carbs) and exercise I could get my level down to below 50 in no time.

When I asked how on earth I could work out which foods affected my BG without a meter she said I'm not at the stage of needing to do that yet as I'm not on any medication, so come back in 3 months for a proper blood test and see how you are.
She also said constant testing would ruin the nerve endings in my fingers.

I dont quite understand why the advice of the NHS differs so greatly from the much more reasonable advice of you guys on here? I've read that the NHS are going by thinking that was thought by most to be correct many years ago, but surely they are professionals and should know what they are doing? Why do they think eating pasta, rice, cereals and bread is ok if it takes up a quarter of your plate rather than half?

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,
I too saw a diabetic nurse today after a 5 week wait. She told me that as my HBA1c reading is 61 so I would not and should not be given a tester kit as they are only given to people taking tablets or injecting insulin. She said with a healthy diet (including a smaller portion of carbs) and exercise I could get my level down to below 50 in no time.

When I asked how on earth I could work out which foods affected my BG without a meter she said I'm not at the stage of needing to do that yet as I'm not on any medication, so come back in 3 months for a proper blood test and see how you are.

I dont quite understand why the advice of the NHS differs so greatly from the much more reasonable advice of you guys on here? I've read that the NHS are going by thinking that was thought by most to be correct many years ago, but surely they are professionals and should know what they are doing? Why do they think eating pasta, rice, cereals and bread is ok if it takes up a quarter of your plate rather than half?

that is the $64m question - you are right it makes no sense!.
In practice if you only real real foods, and cut out processed foods including rice, pasta, flour wheat and sugar and do some more exercise then she is right your blood sugar will come down . it will come down quicker the more you reduce the carb element.

If you want to know what the impact a specific thing you like has on your, then you need a meter for that.

Its true that an awful lot of testing is painful on the fingers, but it is the only way to see what it happening to your own blood sugars with your own food unless you gt yourself a monitor that measure it all the time for you like the freestyle libre.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

The Eat Well plate is just used as a guide by the NHS to healthy eating for everyone but it is adaptable It is just a plate of food that we are quite capable of tailoring to suit our diabetes. Just cut out or cut down on the starchy carbs rice pasta potatoes and bread but bearing in mind that some of us can eat small amounts of these as we are all different

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. To be blunt your nurse was lying about the meters - they are not being phased out. The NHS is rightly worried about costs so tries to avoid allocating them as the strips cost. Do get one if you can. Yes, the tablet would be Metformin. The plain version can cause bowel problems for a few weeks for some; If it does, ask for the Slow Release (SR) version. It's a good safe drug that helps a little bit. Before accepting statins I would ask for your Lipids breakdown and the ratios. From that you can then decide whether you really need them and go for the minimum dosage that does the job. For BP again check your actual reading when not stressed and if necessary buy a BP test kit and take measurements at home as I do and let the nurse have your results. My results are way below my surgery test result.

Lampman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When I was diagnosed, I was told not to test with a meter. Naturally, being me, I ignored that. When I returned to get the results of my second HbA1C test the doctor was amazed at my progress, and I pointed out it was only possible by testing and adjusting my diet. (the look on her face told its own story!) I think the comments we get are designed to put us off from asking for a meter, as they don't want to pay for them.

TREVIE99

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Many thanks for all your replies, all the same advice too, which tells me i need a bg meter.
One other thing was she told me no more than 2 pieces of fruit a day and only 2 slices of bread too.
Is this correct or not.
Can anyone also give a bit more detail on statins too.
Thanks

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Many thanks for all your replies, all the same advice too, which tells me i need a bg meter.
One other thing was she told me no more than 2 pieces of fruit a day and only 2 slices of bread too.
Is this correct or not.
Can anyone also give a bit more detail on statins too.
Thanks

Great you have decided to get a meter. It will be your best friend. It may also tell you your nurse was wrong about the 2 slices of bread, and possibly also the 2 pieces of fruit. Bread (along with rice, potatoes, pasta and breakfast cereals) is a danger food, including wholemeal varieties. It is very heavy in carbs and raises blood sugar levels. Fruit is difficult because it depends on the fruit. Berries (blackberries, raspberries and strawberries) are OK in small portions. Fruits from warm climates such as bananas and grapes are very sweet and will raise BG levels. Your meter will guide you in all this.

There are some low carb breads available, such as Lidl high protein rolls (9g carbs per roll) and Burgen bread available in most supermarkets.

Statins? You would be best using the search box to find out about these. There are hundreds of threads, and it would fill a whole page if I were to tell you all about them. All I will say is they have more unpleasant side effects than benefit (unless you already have CVD) and they raise blood sugar levels. The choice is yours, but please do some research before you decide.