Told NOT to test BG and I must eat carbs.

EveryCloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Finally got to a diabetic clinic meeting. I never said much about what I had been learning from books and the internet, I explained that I had been testing my BG on a regular basis and they asked me why? I explained that I like to know what was going on, and that some days even though it would seem that the metformin is working as it was below 10, there are some days when it spikes into the teens, this is when I will go a walk and try to get this down. I was basically given a telling off and felt like a naughty child, I was told to stop testing my BG alltogether and that I should just trust that the meds are working. They went on to chat about food and asked the group what we were eating, I explained I was cutting down on carbs to reduce my BG and that was working, I was shot down again and I was told this is nonscence and I must eat carbs every time I eat anything. I was even told to take a high carb snack with me where ever I go because "Carbs regulate my blood sugar" I just kind of zoned out after that, I felt like I couldn't do right for doing wrong... You know? That feeling?

I feel like ****, really deflated, I thought I was doing good and this has hit me hard.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
You're right and they're wrong. Eat to your meter.

Reactions: 4 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think many of us know exactly how you feel! It makes my blood boil that we are usually given completely incorrect information regarding diabetes by those who are supposed to be helping us keep or get well. I think we just have to rely on our own experience & common sense, and the knowledge of our fellow diabetics here . Carry on as you have been doing - i.e. all the right things, and ignore their misinformation, and you'll be OK.

Robbity
Who is still smarting from her first annual meeting with the practice diabetics doctor...:mad:

Reactions: 11 people

EveryCloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I thought this, I even tested my blood before I went to a friend's house and my mum started yelling at me saying I shouldn't be doing that (I told her about the clinic) I tried to explain that my friend was wanting a take away and I was going to have one too, but if my blood was high I was going to have vegetable fu yung instead of a high carb dish. I feel like never sharing anything with anyone and keeping everything I do private, but then, I also feel I might go crazy if I do this.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just share with us here instead.
Robbity

PS For some reason this has been edited by a moderator and completely changed the meaning of my original 2nd sentence - so I've removed it. :wideyed:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 10 people

EveryCloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ha ha, They also told us not to listen to online rubbish. :rolleyes:

annelise

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unfriendly and bigotted persons; i.e. persons who do not have an open or enquiring mind - but all within reason - persons may have a reason to appear as such - we will never know their backgrounds or where they come from ...
If I hadn't listened to 'online rubbish', my numbers would still be sky high ...

annelise

Reactions: 7 people

Sam72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It is really hard when you. Think you are being proactive and taking control to be told by people who are professionals that you are being ridiculous! My GP when he shot me down and I questioned him further about why said "I'm only a GP" - not good enough- he sees all diabetic patients at my surgery and should make it hop is business to be more knowledgeable. Makes me mad.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't feel down. Feel determined. :) Just think how wonderful it will be when you get your next set of blood test results....and you are proved right! Trust me it's an amazing feeling. :D Keep on going and let us know how you are getting on. We've all been there, the medical professionals haven't. We're on your side.:)

Ruth B

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Keep doing what you were doing, testing and reducing carbs, after all it's your body that will suffer the complications if it get out of hand not theirs.

I gave my DN a real problem last time I was in, it was the first appointment after I had taken control and she was over the moon congratulating me on the weight loss and reduced HBA1C, cholesterol etc. I then told her I had a meter and was reducing my carbs, and she was trying so hard to sound disapproving but not quite managing it.

Reactions: 17 people

Kezzer4321

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi everycloud, as someone who is new to managing her bloods, I just wanted to say that you should do what you feel benefits you. The Dr's and DN's seem to base their recommendations on past information which I personally feel are out of date. I have not been able to control my BS for over the last 3 years following their diet advice until I came here and started taking absorbing the information and experiences of real diabetics.... My BS reading prove to me that I must be doing something right - as my numbers are getting lower and lower. It also means that I have built up a really good library of foods that I can eat anytime any place, I know which foods to avoid and which foods I can have in moderation.

So as with life, you need to take from all the advice that people give you, what you feel is relevant to you.
Good Luck

alliebee

This makes my blood boil...of course we must test. Esp when first diagnosed..how else do you know what spikes us!!! I have come to realise Im lucky..my gp is type 2 and low carbs...mind you my DN still trots out the party line of eat startchy carbs at every meal....duh. that's why I have diabetes!

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Hi @EveryCloud
Check out www.dietdoctor.com
Blog by doc
It gives research which you can take with you to show your doc.
Also, check out southport gp a doc who posts here who has also published his research with a link which is included.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Hi @EveryCloud Your name suggests to me that you are usually a positive person :) Don't let this experience dishearten you.

When the clinic workers get their own diabetes, they can eat all the carbs they like and never test :rolleyes: This is your condition and you can treat it as you feel best.

Reactions: 12 people

Bazzza

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Unbelievable...but then again in the same sense its not. The amount of misinformed people spouting an outdated way for thinking and managing of diabetes is huge. I mean on the diabetes website for Ireland, they support and recommend drinking diet coke and other such diet drinks that have aspartame...the damage this does to the body is terrible. They also mention to eat loads of carbs like you were told. I personally wouldn't listen to them and take the advice from people on here who know what they are saying and doing.

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ignore them. I lost all respect for diabetic care providers at my DESMOND course when the DN running it, who was herself overweight , said she was too afraid to have an HbA1c test as she didn't want to know ( even though her husband was a LADA and she had seen what diabetes can do uncontrolled) - she also said no point in testing as we wouldn't understand results and be bothering our DNs on phone all the time. When she said we'd shown how to test when it was appropriate, ie when we'd lost control and ended up on insulin , it seemed clear why diabetics are a burden to the NHS as they are basically told to carry on regardless till everything goes belly up and needs greater intervention.

Reactions: 11 people

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
We must be really lucky here, I have never met this sort of resistance nor received disparaging remarks from any of the people I have met. My GPs are fabulous and always listen and work with me, the diabetic nurse just laughs and tells me I am more clued up than she is and to talk to the GP, the hospital team are all supportive and in fact document in letters that I have a good diet and understanding.

Not once have I been scolded like members here seem to be on a regular basis. I have always been given strips and now I am on basal/bolus, they essentially asked me how many I needed a month on my repeats. You just keep doing what is working for you, prove them wrong and know it is your health at risk here, not theirs, and that if they want to continue to preach outdated high starchy carb diets, let them, discard, and move on. Disheartening isn't it.

Ali

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ha ha, They also told us not to listen to online rubbish. :rolleyes:
Ha ha indeed! :D:D

I believe there's just as much rubbish being spouted at us by our medics as there is floating around on the web. The art is in being able to tell the difference and sift the gold nuggets of truth from the rubbish - whatever the source. If you find a group of experienced well controlled diabetics who are willing to help and share, then you know you've hit gold - no matter what else else you might be told. I'd much sooner trust such people than those who are dishing out "blind" advice and possibly causing untold harm by their ignorance.

Robbity

Reactions: 12 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I very firmly believe that if we let the NHS try to keep us healthy, we will be less healthy than if we take personal responsibility.

EveryCloud, please don't let health care professionals (or your mother) bully you into doing what your common sense tells you is wrong.

And don't worry - you will be proved right when your next blood test results come in.

Reactions: 5 people