Too painful to inject and bleeding

smithsj

Hi, I am new to the forum and also relatively new to type 1 diabetis (diagnosed October last year).

As advised i rotate my injection sites but have found in the past week or two that i simply can not inject into my stomach as it is too painful when the needle starts to go in. Up until now i have been able to inject my stomach with no pain at all. Is this common? Is there a particular reason it is suddenly too painful?

I am also finding over the past few weeks that when i inject into my thighs or arms that i am bleeding for about 5 minutes after....again is this normal?

Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
You did right changing your injection site from your tummy to your arms/legs, as site rotation does prevent injection sites becoming sore, but you should not be bleeding 5 mins after injecting. It may be that you are catching the capillary blood vessels under the skin which can happen, or it could be that your needles are the wrong size, so if you are using say 8mm needles, try changing to 5mm ones instead. Always remember to change the needle after every use.

Nigel

smithsj

Thanks Nigel,

I am using 5mm needles so must be catching capillary blood vessels. I might ask my doctor if i can get smaller needles.

Thanks again for the advice

SJ

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
smithsj said:
Thanks Nigel,

I am using 5mm needles so must be catching capillary blood vessels. I might ask my doctor if i can get smaller needles.

Thanks again for the advice

SJ

SJ, I don't think you can get a smaller needle than 5mm in the UK, thou I may be wrong! Take a look at the following site, it offers advice on injection techniques etc:

http://www.bd.com/us/diabetes/page.aspx ... 01&id=7282

Nigel

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Is it hurting always? It hurts and bleeds sometimes for me, if it hurts too much when I am putting the needle in I just stop and try again a cm or so away, that usually works and doesn't hurt.

smithsj

HLW said:
Is it hurting always? It hurts and bleeds sometimes for me, if it hurts too much when I am putting the needle in I just stop and try again a cm or so away, that usually works and doesn't hurt.
My entire stomach hurts when i try to inject so i have just given up, i was hoping there was a simple explanation like "time of the month" but nothing so far. My dieabetic nurse isnt sure why it hurts either. I have always rotated my injection sites so my stomach isnt over used.

Thanks though

SJ

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
SJ,

I would keep away from the stomach for a while if it is causing you discomfort. You may also want to try the buttocks, I find it is the least painful of areas to inject, but just bear in mind that the absorption from this area is the slowest of all the areas to administer insulin, so you may find a small delay before your insulin kicks in.

Failing that, you could ask for a meeting with your dsn and demonstrate your injection technique, she/he may offer some advice to avoid the pain/bleeding by observing your procedure.

Nigel

smithsj

noblehead said:
SJ,

I would keep away from the stomach for a while if it is causing you discomfort. You may also want to try the buttocks, I find it is the least painful of areas to inject, but just bear in mind that the absorption from this area is the slowest of all the areas to administer insulin, so you may find a small delay before your insulin kicks in.

Failing that, you could ask for a meeting with your dsn and demonstrate your injection technique, she/he may offer some advice to avoid the pain/bleeding by observing your procedure.

Nigel

Thanks again Nigel

SJ