Touring Devon & Cornwall

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry this is completely non-diabetic related! I am packing up my tent and heading off for a few weeks driving and camping in Devon and Cornwall. Can anyone recommend some good camp sites or places to wild camp? Or any out of the way places to visit not mentioned in guide books? Any advice much appreciated!

C

chris lowe

Don't know about camp sites as I'm now a semi detached hippie (travelogue or premier) but if you are into stone circles and stuff check out the modern antiquarian site, it lists lots of obscure monuments

Reactions: 2 people

IncyWincy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sunny Lyn Holiday Park Lynton.

Never stayed but drive past a lot. Tiny idyllic site next to the West Lyn river just outside Lynton. Fabulous area for walking and the Cottage Inn next door has just reopened with great Thai food.

Reactions: 4 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Have a brilliant time and fingers crossed for reasonable to good weather too lol :)

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
The Caravan Club do a small handbook of sites, with reviews, that take tenters as well as caravans and campers, there are lots of sites on the web too, I wouldn't suggest going wild as it can be a mite sensitive with farmers, as tenting on farm land can be not only dangerous for you but the animals too.
Hope you have a good time, its lovely scenery down this way.

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The Caravan Club do a small handbook of sites, with reviews, that take tenters as well as caravans and campers, there are lots of sites on the web too, I wouldn't suggest going wild as it can be a mite sensitive with farmers, as tenting on farm land can be not only dangerous for you but the animals too.
Hope you have a good time, its lovely scenery down this way.
Thank you, I'll look up the guide book. I wouldn't dream of just pitching in a farmer's field but understand that wild camping is encouraged on some areas of Dartmoor so was hoping to do this for a couple of nights where suitable. Love a camp fire and cooking. I am a trained Forest School leader so am responsible and won't be randomly setting fire to the countryside!

jay hay-char

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you had a look on Cool Camping? Some of the places are a bit twee and middle class but others are excellent, including some where fires are allowed.

It's Dorset, not Devon, but one of my favourites is Burnbake, in the Isle of Purbeck: They keep rules to a minimum and, so long as you've got a fire bowl to contain it, they allow open fires. Hope the weather Gods take pity on you :)

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you had a look on Cool Camping? Some of the places are a bit twee and middle class but others are excellent, including some where fires are allowed.

It's Dorset, not Devon, but one of my favourites is Burnbake, in the Isle of Purbeck: They keep rules to a minimum and, so long as you've got a fire bowl to contain it, they allow open fires. Hope the weather Gods take pity on you :)
Thanks for the recommendation. We will be coming back through Dorset (live in Surrey) so will look up Burnbake.

Jo123

Trevedra Farm, this place has a tremendous setting a short (but steep) walk to the most amazing unspoilt surfing beach right on the far end of cornwall. Not the best best campsite ever but the setting and beach are amazing. The beach is Gwenver, google it.
Edited to add sorry about the big writing, don't know whats happened!!