Track Cycling

Rusty650

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi
Just wondered if there is anyone on the forum with experience of track cycling and if so how do they manage their diabetes in relation to this please ? I'm a type 1 using a Medtronic 640g pump and recently took up track cycling at my local Velodrome.
It's proving really challenging as the sessions are constant laps which are very intense and preventing hypo's whilst out on the track is causing me some issues.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Have you tried using a TBR before, during and after your training session to help prevent the hypo's?

In the absence of replies from experienced cyclists why don't you google Team Novo Nordisk,

izzyj09

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't have experience of track cycling, but I do a lot of cycling generally and I do swim a ridiculous amount as well. So I would say it's trial and error but as you can't drink or eat whilst your swimming I always used to switch my pump of an hour before then as soon as the session started turn it back on and that would keep me about 10-12. Also have a look on run sweet.com as that's done by Ian gallen who I used to see and is amazing !

Rusty650

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi thanks both for your replies, much appreciated. It appears at the moment to be one of the sports that do not attract a vast deal of exposure with unfortunately. But Im not going to give up. I will find a solution that works by just trial and error i reckon as you say and i will checkout the websites also.

izzyj09

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I also have a drink called paltinose which keeps your blood sugar up and constant, google it its amazing but also very expensive, you could also try and email Ian gallen as that's what I first did and he's kept in contact with me over the years and I just used to email him any problems

Rosco55

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I track and road cycle. Early morning sessions I find there is no additional CHO requirement for up to an hour. Later sessions I require approx 85g per hour and no fast acting, Novarapid for me. Will reduce my background Humulin I by 50% for all training sessions. Agree with izzj09's comments about paltinose. I also use Go Electrolyte and banana loaf for CHO source while training.