Travelling to Greece with pump

Tracyann35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Sorry me again, going on hols next week first time away with pump, any advise for security at airport? And also advice for being in Sun with pump, not sure how often I should change my insulin? And what to store it in I have a blue wallet which you soak in water to keep it cooler, Tia

philchap1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Get a letter from your doctor about the pump, i would keep the pump out of direct heat, change your insulin every other day.

Reactions: Tracyann35

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Take and show your doctors letter. Take a copy of your prescription too. Make sure your insurance covers your diabetes. Take twice as much of everything than you think you'll need.

Enjoy yourself :)

Reactions: Tracyann35

Tracyann35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Take and show your doctors letter. Take a copy of your prescription too. Make sure your insurance covers your diabetes. Take twice as much of everything than you think you'll need.

Enjoy yourself :)

Thank you!!! Yes travel insurance all covered, copy of letter from hospital will take Pens as back up, can I sunbathe? Or not great idea?

Reactions: azure

CJOtter

Type of diabetes
Type 1
When I last went on a sunny/water holiday I did a combi approach. I was sailing all day so I didn't want to wear my pump whilst on a dinghy.. I'd killed a pump in a previous holiday and been without it for 24h whilst one was couriered out (thank goodness for Medtronic customer service).

Anyway with help from my nurse we settled on a regime where I took off my pump during the day on the boat/beach and covered it with a dose of levemir at 8am, the same as 12 hours worth. I the new reattached my pump for lunch bolus and for the evening at 8pm. That way I had the flexibility of the bolus wizard but the freedom to swim and sunbathe without warring about the pump getting hot.

D

Deleted Account

Main issue about airport security is not ensure your pump is not x-rayed. Do not put it on the conveyor belt. Provided you do not have a metal clip on it, you can go through the arch with it attached. You should not take it with you into one of those full-sized boxes where you have to stand on two foot prints and hold your hands above your head. Most security staff understand this. They will pat you down and/or swab the pump.

Have a great holiday.

Reactions: mariposa84

mariposa84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Just as everyone has said above.

I make sure my pump is easily accessible to wave it at security before walking through arch. Find that way they're more chilled out when it beeps and they're ready to swab pump/pat you down.

Keep smiling! I find the friendlier I am the smoother the process.

Have a wonderful holiday in Greece!! Stayed on one of the islands a few years back and loved it

mariposa84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Also, re sunbathing.... try and keep your pump as cool as possible. Definitely use the wallet! If you can, store all your insulin in a wallet while you're out there and take plenty.

When I sunbathe I have to keep a really close eye on my blood sugars. For me, my blood sugars go up high and I find myself needing extra insulin. I then find that when I cool down or go to sleep in an air conditioned room they drop like a stone. That may not be the case for you though. What do your blood sugars do on a hot day in the uk? Always keep hydrated and have hypo supplies just in case!

Medusa41

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes all of the above is great advice. When I flew in April I found the airport staff weren't interested in seeing the pump (as compared to last summer) & all was fine I sunbathed but used longer tubing so I could pop under sunbed in my Frio wallet. I frequently checked sugars as they ran slightly higher so used a different basal rate. Have a super hol

tircoed

Hi can you tell me where you get the wallet from please in Travelling to Greece in July first time with my pump i have a Omnipod not sure how to keep out of the sun as its attached to my tummy all the time. Enjoy your holiday

Reactions: Medusa41

mariposa84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi can you tell me where you get the wallet from please in Travelling to Greece in July first time with my pump i have a Omnipod not sure how to keep out of the sun as its attached to my tummy all the time. Enjoy your holiday

www.friouk.com

Try and keep your PDM out of the sun as much as possible and take plenty of spare pods and insulin just to be on the safe side plus back up pens etc.

D

Deleted Account

www.friouk.com

Try and keep your PDM out of the sun as much as possible and take plenty of spare pods and insulin just to be on the safe side plus back up pens etc.
I don't think Frio bags work with Omnipods - how do you get something which is stuck to your body on one side into a bag?
Unfortunately, my pump is one of the traditional tubey ones so I cannot offer Omnipod advice. Hopefully, someone can. This is not the first time I have seen this question raised. Perhaps, we need a dedicated thread to attract the attention of Omnipodders?
However, I completely agree to keep the pod (and the controller and your BG meter) out of direct sunlight as much as possible.

Heathero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry me again, going on hols next week first time away with pump, any advise for security at airport? And also advice for being in Sun with pump, not sure how often I should change my insulin? And what to store it in I have a blue wallet which you soak in water to keep it cooler, Tia

Inform staff before you go through X-ray machine/ show letter if needed. I find need to keep pump out of direct heat. If not possible cover with towel etc. I use omnipod and change every 3 days. Though pumps vary.

Heathero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't think Frio bags work with Omnipods - how do you get something which is stuck to your body on one side into a bag?
Unfortunately, my pump is one of the traditional tubey ones so I cannot offer Omnipod advice. Hopefully, someone can. This is not the first time I have seen this question raised. Perhaps, we need a dedicated thread to attract the attention of Omnipodders?
However, I completely agree to keep the pod (and the controller and your BG meter) out of direct sunlight as much as possible.

I have managed many holidays including 6 weeks in summer. With Omnipod. Main problem was twice pump failed for me due to sea water or heat. Both times on beach. I do not as cannot cover it. I keep PDM in bag in shade or it will give warning doesn't wotk as too hot! I learnt that I must also take Novorapid flex pen with me. Some people choose to stop pump use on holiday . You cannot read PDM in sun so will need shade to use. Hope this helps.

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
Definitely get documentation from your GP that you are diabetic and are required to wear a pump and carry medication. When crossing borders in other countries make sure they know this equipment and medications are essential to your well being. Not everybody understands the need for insulin.

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Normally I wear the pump clipped to my bra but, going through airport security, I clip it to my waistband so that it can be seen. I used to be given the full search with swabbing of pump and/or hands but that doesn't happen so often now.
I use a holiday basal pattern which reduces my daytime basals by about 25% while my night time basals are roughly the same. I normally just switch to last year's pattern and tweak over the first few days.
I was told to make sure the pump was covered, if sunbathing, but I don't tend to lie out in it, as I just fry!
Have a great holiday!

Heathero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Main issue about airport security is not ensure your pump is not x-rayed. Do not put it on the conveyor belt. Provided you do not have a metal clip on it, you can go through the arch with it attached. You should not take it with you into one of those full-sized boxes where you have to stand on two foot prints and hold your hands above your head. Most security staff understand this. They will pat you down and/or swab the pump.

Have a great holiday.[/QUOTE

. Omnipod PDMs advise putting additional PDM into hold luggage. However mine have always gone through x- ray on conveyer belt. Does this affect them? I have never noticed a problem.

Heathero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Have always put PDM for Omnipod through X-ray is there advice against this?

D

Deleted Account

The problem with x-rays is they can affect the magnetic parts of the electronics which pump the insulin into your body.
My understanding of the Omnipod is this pump part is attached to your body. So you should not allow yourself to be x-rays.
I think the PDM is the "remote control" which has no moving parts and parts which could be affected by the x-rays. I guess it should be fine to be x-rayed.