Travelling with T1D!

poshpaddy71

Good morning all, my 18 year old son is travelling abroad for the first time since he was diagnosed. In May we go to Ireland and I'm travelling with him and then in June he's off to Greece for his first lads holiday....Yikes!!!! Needless to say I won't sleep a wink when he goes to Greece
Has anyone got any recommendations what he will need to take and any equipment/stuff that would be useful....just any help would be very much appreciated xx

Reactions: shank

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Do not put insulin in the hold (it will freeze which means it cannot be used afterwards), keep it in your carry on luggage.

Does he have some method of keeping insulin cool whilst in Greece? (eg: Frio travel wallet). Don't know what the temp is like in Greece at the mo' but even my test strips are not supposed to be stored above 30°C.

The rules for travelling state that you need a letter from your quack to travel with sharps. In reality, I've flown many times and I've never been asked for it but maybe better to be prepared?
http://www.gatwickairport.com/at-the-airport/flying-out/security/security-restrictions/

Lads holiday! Do his friends know what to do if he goes hypo and do they understand that a hypo can be easily confused with having one too many drinks?

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/travel.html

Last edited:
Reactions: azure

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'd add to take twice as much of everything than he thinks he'll need - twice the imsulin, twice the test strips.

Also, choose an insurance company that covers pre-existing medical conditions.

I'd also take glucose tablets - both in hand luggage for immediate use, and in his suitcase to use while away. They're not always easy to get hold of abroad, and are compact to pack.

When he's on his lads' holiday, remind him that alcohol can mask the symptoms of hypos and cause delayed lows too. Stress that testing lots and paying attention to his diabetes while away with his friends will actually minimise the impact on him and his mates because that way things are less likely to,go,pear-shaped.

Make sure his friends all know what to do if he has a hypo and know,how to,contact the emergency services in Greece in the rare event they may be needed.

Perhaps also get him to,check in with you once a day? He may hate that idea but it would be reassuring for you.