Tresiba injection time

kzlorenz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I wanted to ask if anyone has had to switch their Tresiba injection time from evenings to mornings, if yes why ?
I have been having some issues with late mornings hypos but if I reduce Tresiba in the evening I get a high night... :'(

kzlorenz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @azure , thanks for your comment. Well it appears to be more complex than that but yes I have done it and the problem seems to be due to a basal-related issue and some dawn effect!

steve_p6

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I initially found taking at 7pm i would get a drop of 3-4 mmol between 12 and 6am so switched to 7am as an alterative.

But as Azure says do some basal tests to make sure that is your issue.

Reactions: kzlorenz

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @kzlorenz Prior to the pump I was on Tresiba, I took my injection in the mornings on the advice of my DSN, it was routine for me more than anything so wake, test, inject. Personally I didn't think that the time of day made any difference in taking this as the profile is so flat and once you're started as long as your taking your dose at a regular time each day then it shouldn't cause an issue with your BG levels, otherwise you need to look at your quick acting ratios and check these.

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi @kzlorenz

Yes, I changed my Tresiba time from evenings to mornings a couple of weeks ago. My reason was to see if it would stop a dip I was getting at around 3am. I'm not sure it's made much difference but will persevere for now. I noticed last night that the dip was at 4am (having put the clocks forward) so I think it's just biological/body-clock stuff rather than basal timing.

Reactions: kzlorenz and azure

staffsmatt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I do something really funky with mine... (don't try this at home kids)

I was suffering from quite damatic rises after lunch, confirmed by basal testing. Swapped the injection to the morning which seemed to help that but then started going up during the night so I've actually split my dose. I'm now on 7 in the morning and 1 before bed.

I do want to point out at this point that Tresiba is supposed to last 48 hours so splitting it is not really recommended (I figured that worse case it would all average out and I'd just be having one extra injection) and it seems to be working better for me. I am expecting a telling off when I see my consultant next month though!

steve_p6

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I do something really funky with mine... (don't try this at home kids)

I was suffering from quite damatic rises after lunch, confirmed by basal testing. Swapped the injection to the morning which seemed to help that but then started going up during the night so I've actually split my dose. I'm now on 7 in the morning and 1 before bed.

I do want to point out at this point that Tresiba is supposed to last 48 hours so splitting it is not really recommended (I figured that worse case it would all average out and I'd just be having one extra injection) and it seems to be working better for me. I am expecting a telling off when I see my consultant next month though!
Haha, already had my telling off from the DSN. I started dropping in afternoon instead so am trying 50:50 twice a day. Had a run of bugs recently which have messed up numbers but I expect this will eventually decide if the lows are just down to my daily variation of insulin sensitivity or if it is the insulin profile for me.