Triglycerides / HDL Ratio

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
John Whitcomb, M.D., in his May 11, 2015 blog post reported the results of a new study on the triglycerides/HDL ratio. Read the entire blog post here... http://www.newsinnutrition.com/

[Note: this article refers to the ratio using mg/dL numbers, not mmol/L; see information in Dr. Sigurdsson's blog for mmol/L.]

"The authors in the Clinics article took 347 high risk patients, most in their later 50s with total cholesterols over 200. The examined the extent of their coronary artery disease by catheterization and correlated the findings with their lipids. Because HDLs are known to be protective, and triglycerides known to be risky, the TG/HDL ratio is an attractive summarization to look it. What the authors found was that this ratio is more accurate than the Total Cholesterol or LDL measures, which we usually use. This study confirms the landmark first study by Gaziano that identified this ratio as being the best."

In conclusion, he states...

"There have been some 20 articles published confirming this concept so it’s not new, but it should be considered the main method by which we confirm your risk. When you get your cholesterol measured, make sure you know those numbers first, not your total cholesterol or your LDLs. Focus on your HDL and your triglyceride. And then, aim to get your ratio to ONE. One. 1. Yes, ONE. With that, you will be the safest and the healthiest."

My Triglyceride/HDL ratio is 2.46 (ratio using mg/dL numbers) now, but I've only been on the LCHF diet for three and a half months. My goal for now is to get my ratio to TWO. :)

Here's what other cardiologists say about the Triglyceride/HDL ratio...

Axel F. Sigurdsson, M.D. - (mg/dL and mmol/L)... http://www.docsopinion.com/2014/07/17/triglyceride-hdl-ratio/

He provides information on what your ratio means if you live in Australia, Canada and most European countries:

If you live outside the US or are using mmol/L, you have to multiply this ratio by 0.4366 to attain the correct reference values. You can also multiply your ratio by 2.3 and use the reference values above.

If lipid values are expressed as mmol/L (like in Canada and Europe):

TG/HDL-C ratio less than 0.87 is ideal

TG/HDL-C ratio above 1.74 is too high

TG/HDL-C ratio above 2.62 is much too high

Stephen Sinatra, M.D. - (mg/dL)... http://www.drsinatra.com/the-blood-lipid-ratio-everyone-should-watch/

Reactions: 3 people

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's odd - I recently had a lipid panel done and my triglycerides were higher - unless it's because actively dieting, I'm at a loss to explain why as I've been eating less carbs than previously. My HDL has also gone down :eek:

Test in March 2014 - Trigs = 1.0 and HDL = 2.3 - ratio = 0.4
Test in May 2015 - Trigs = 1.6 and HDL = 1.4 - ratio = 1.1

I guess I might have to try taking fish oil again to raise the HDL, though it gives me reflux and gall bladder pain :arghh:

Reactions: 2 people

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Indy51, I think you're right. It doesn't help your numbers when you're actively losing weight. It sounds like your omega-6 to omega-3 ratio is out of wack. Dr. Sinatra's book discusses omega-6's and 3's in his book at length, pages 90-92. I was thinking this weekend that I need to print out and highlight lists of foods high in omega-6's and 3's. Here they are...

http://nutritiondata.self.com/foods-000141000000000000000-1w.html

http://nutritiondata.self.com/foods-000140000000000000000-w.html

I love the internet.

Not good that you don't tolerate fish oil well. This is quite the process, isn't it? I have so many questions, so few answers. And I feel like I'm going in so many different directions as I try to sort and make sense of my needs and what to do.

I was wondering if you're thinking about reading the new book by David Perlmutter on the microbiome. You're so well read on so many topics.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You flatter me, @Winnie53 :D

I'm finding the older I get, the harder I find it to settle and concentrate on reading - most of my info these days comes from reading/skimming online. I'm also a huge fan of video/podcast interviews with experts. I've heard quite a few with Dr Perlmutter recently, but haven't bought his book. Must admit to being absolutely fascinated by the whole microbiome issue and read/listen as much as I can find about it online. I really think it's going to change the future of medicine.

One of the frustrating things with living in Australia is not having access to Cyrex Labs - I know if I lived in the US or UK, I'd be getting most of their diagnostic arrays done. The US are also lucky that patients can order their own lab tests without always having a doctor sign off on it - here it is always done via conventional medical practitioners, plus the number of tests available is also far less :(

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Last lipid profile I had I was 0.8. I think I was working to a threshold ratio of 1.3 but I can't remember whose that was now!