Trip to Mumbai

umabell

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to animals and children.
First time with insulin while travelling. Was always tablet controlled for years. Worried about the 10 hour flight and the weather in Mumbai which is very hot and humid. Will this effect my BS and will I need to decrease or increase my insulin? My DNS has been on holiday and will return after I come back! Rice is the staple diet with everything at my parents home so I have an added feeling of gloom! Sigh!

Janr20

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Needlephobia giving insulin
First time with insulin while travelling. Was always tablet controlled for years. Worried about the 10 hour flight and the weather in Mumbai which is very hot and humid. Will this effect my BS and will I need to decrease or increase my insulin? My DNS has been on holiday and will return after I come back! Rice is the staple diet with everything at my parents home so I have an added feeling of gloom! Sigh!
Don't be worried there's lots of info on travelling with medications. I'm on 2 lots of insulin I struggle with time zones sorting out insulin but have my travelling gear with insulin sorted.

What I've worked out is avoid dehydration as it affects your BS. If you keep up your fluids shouldn't find much fluctuation. I carry my extra snacks that I know works for me you should do the same.
I also learnt the importance of carrying a extra testing kit as well as extra insulin. I carry mine in Frio packs they work well and if you have 2 different types of insulin it's a good way to separate them.

The most frustrating issue for me was the needles on a long trip. Also making sure you bring enough testing strips . I was out on my last trip to Morocco and Spain. I took far to much insulin but it's better to have more than less.Most important doctors letters for carrying your medication - hand luggage on plane is the way to go.

Food wise stick to safe choices you know work for you. Extra safe food snacks helpful. Watch out for dehydration always be ahead on your fluids. Plus make sure you have comfortable shoes , always look after your feet

Above all have an amazing time. Don't let diabetes ruin your holiday . Enjoy Mumbai its an amazing place. The world is your oyster- great advice always available here on diabetic forum

Reactions: Prem51 and umabell

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @umabell - The hot weather increases my insulin sensitivity so I am more likely to go low, we are all different though, the only way to know for sure is lots of testing. In regards to rice, you can ask for vegetable dishes instead ?

Reactions: umabell and Janr20
D

Deleted Account

Mumbai is exciting - I am jealous.

No reason why the insulin should impact your ten hour flight.
The heat may impact your BG control. However, this is very personal - some people find heat decreases their BG and some people find it increases it - so the usual rule of test, test, test applies to find out how it impacts you.

Check out https://www.diabetes.co.uk/travel/air-travel-and-insulin.html for details on air travel.

You say you have type 1 - rice should not be a problem. I regularly eat rice ... including when I have travelled to India and there was little choice.

Reactions: Prem51 and umabell

umabell

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I am actually type 2 with insulin and tablets. Thank you for all the advice. Deep breath and forward attitude I think!

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
I am actually type 2 with insulin and tablets. Thank you for all the advice. Deep breath and forward attitude I think!

Hi Uma - your profile states type 1, you can change this in your account settings, if you need help let us know :)

umabell

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Unfortunately when I first started using insulin I automatically thought it made me Type 1. Daft me.