Trouble with carbs

lollyann1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have just bought a pocket reference book denoting lots of food items that I eat. I am on Novorapid and Lantus. I am still finding it very difficult to know how many units of Novorapid to have eg if I have a rare treat, a Jaffa cake, the book states it has 10 carbs, so how do I equate how many units of Novorapid to have please? I am very insulin sensitive - at present only usually have 1 unit Novorapid, 3 units Lantus. I do find that if I do eat a small snack 1 half unit of Novoecho is enough. Help please. Thank you.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
you need to establish your insulin/carb ratio, which is different for everyone............

a good place to start for most people is 1 unit for every 10gs of carbs, so for a jaffa cake you would need 1 unit......

it sounds as though you are very insulin sensitive though so you may need considerably more carbs for 1 unit.......

are you newly diagnosed.......?

lollyann1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
you need to establish your insulin/carb ratio, which is different for everyone............

a good place to start for most people is 1 unit for every 10gs of carbs, so for a jaffa cake you would need 1 unit......

it sounds as though you are very insulin sensitive though so you may need considerably more carbs for 1 unit.......

are you newly diagnosed.......?

Not newly diagnosed, was diagnosed over a year ago. I don't know if the problem is heightened because I have no Pancreas. If I eat more carbs for 1 unit my sugars shoot up.

Umarth

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Try looking at a testing kit called the Aviva expert. Mine tells me how many units of novo rapid to inject after I tell it how many carbs I have eaten. See your diabetic team at your doctors and enquire about one. Since I've had mine my blood sugars have been pretty much on point.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Not newly diagnosed, was diagnosed over a year ago. I don't know if the problem is heightened because I have no Pancreas. If I eat more carbs for 1 unit my sugars shoot up.

Lollyann
I taken it that you have not received any training on how to count your carbs AND how to adjust your doses?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@lollyann1 ; Two things stand out here.

1. Please speak with your diabetic care team. You need to be given information as to how they arrived at your dosage and a review of your current regime to understand whether it is really working for you.

2. Have a look at the following in the same timeframe as a discussion with your diabetic care team.
a) Basal testing - determining that you have the right level of long acting insulin (Lantus) in your system - http://www.salforddiabetescare.co.uk/index2.php?nav_id=1007
b) The BDEC carb counting and dose adjustment course - an online course explaining carb counting, insulin to carb ratios and dose adjustment for your Novorapid: http://www.bdec-e-learning.com/

Hopefully these will give you some indication of where you are and an introduction as to how to use the insulins you have been given. After having taken a look at these, if you have questions, please come back and ask!

Reactions: 4 people

lollyann1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Lollyann
I taken it that you have not received any training on how to count your carbs AND how to adjust your doses?

No. I had no training, nor was it offered. It does not seem to be available where I live! I have referred to my carbs problem in other threads. Whilst reading some of the online links I was given by forum members, I am not doing much better. Now it is a case of the more I read the more muddled the problem seems. For instance, I had another near hypo earlier today. Had exactly my usual Novorapid for the amount and type of food I ate and ended up 3.7.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Fo you have 1 unit of novorapid once a day? Or each meal? I know you say you hive 1/2 unit for a snack.

To look at any advice we would really have to see a day of what you eat, your times and your doses and your readings and what yime they are.

For example... Do you go low 2-3 hours after a meal or 4 hours after a meal?

Nobody can give you any advice without knowing some figures.

However, it is important that you speak to uour healthcare tram quickly as they should be your first point of call to get you on a carb counting course and certainly being able to adjust your doses

lollyann1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@lollyann1 ; Two things stand out here.

1. Please speak with your diabetic care team. You need to be given information as to how they arrived at your dosage and a review of your current regime to understand whether it is really working for you.

2. Have a look at the following in the same timeframe as a discussion with your diabetic care team.
a) Basal testing - determining that you have the right level of long acting insulin (Lantus) in your system - http://www.salforddiabetescare.co.uk/index2.php?nav_id=1007
b) The BDEC carb counting and dose adjustment course - an online course explaining carb counting, insulin to carb ratios and dose adjustment for your Novorapid: http://www.bdec-e-learning.com/

Hopefully these will give you some indication of where you are and an introduction as to how to use the insulins you have been given. After having taken a look at these, if you have questions, please come back and ask!
Fo you have 1 unit of novorapid once a day? Or each meal? I know you say you hive 1/2 unit for a snack.

I have 1 unit Novorapid before each meal. However, it depends on what my sugars are and what I am going to eat. The 'what I am going to eat' part is where I am stuck. Have tried 3 times to speak to a Diabetic Nurse about my diet. She says I 'appear' to be doing the right things! I am having problems disgesting my food even with Creon which doesn't help but it should not be a problem. Today's neat Hypo is the second one in a shortish space of time. It is uncanny, but the last time I started a thread about something I had a Hypo then. Other than those 2 I have been OK but do not seem to be able to eat much at all. Could be due to Pancreatic surgery 2009. had a look at the BDEC e learning.

To look at any advice we would really have to see a day of what you eat, your times and your doses and your readings and what yime they are.

For example... Do you go low 2-3 hours after a meal or 4 hours after a meal?

Nobody can give you any advice without knowing some figures.

However, it is important that you speak to uour healthcare tram quickly as they should be your first point of call to get you on a carb counting course and certainly being able to adjust your doses

lollyann1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
For instance, I have a bowl of Rice Krispies for breakfast at 8.am. For Lunch I can only manage half a sandwich, with cheese, a slice of Salami and some Smoked Salmon. Sounds odd to some I bet, but I do have to eat some fat I am thin now. For Dinner I can only manage the other half of the sandwich, although sometimes I cannot face bread - it bloats me out too much. In the Winter I add a little soup, in Summer I tend to eat Chicken.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have just bought a pocket reference book denoting lots of food items that I eat. I am on Novorapid and Lantus. I am still finding it very difficult to know how many units of Novorapid to have eg if I have a rare treat, a Jaffa cake, the book states it has 10 carbs, so how do I equate how many units of Novorapid to have please? I am very insulin sensitive - at present only usually have 1 unit Novorapid, 3 units Lantus. I do find that if I do eat a small snack 1 half unit of Novoecho is enough. Help please. Thank you.
I would see your Dr about diluting your insulin from 100 to 500, you are going to have problems adjusting with even a half unit pen