Troubles with Diabetes - a mini biography post?

dan.hall.uk

I do a lot of blogging and writing around the internet, and I was considering posting this structured 'rant' on my own blog, but I felt it might not find an audience that would appreciate it, and therefore I sought out this forum.
You'll have to bear with me. I have a lot to say here, and a lot of it has been playing on my mind for nearly 4 years. I'm not sure if writing it down will help at all, but it certainly might help me come to terms with where I am.

Im a 25 year old guy, and back a few years ago, I had a lot going for me. I completed A levels in Film and Media at college with good pass grades, and came straight out into the wide world and decided I definitely wanted to work in the entertainment industry. I immediately went about finding relevant work, and having developed myself a basic editing showreel, and having a flawless attendance record in my previous 3 year part time job, I was snatched up by an ex-broadcast producer and immediately put to work as his assistant editor and cameraman for corporate video. For the next 6 - 10 months, things went from good to great. I had been extremely fortunate to get this job, and my next steps were to further develop my showreel, get my driving licence, and prepare to make a jump to a more prestigious employer in London.

Then things started to go wrong. I was unexplainably tired all of a sudden. Day long filming sessions completely ruined me, and I found myself lagging from the previous day even after plentiful volumes of sleep. It's at this point that I started to oversleep, be late for work, agitate my employer, and all the while I had no clue what was wrong with me. I assumed the workload was all just too much, but even so, I started researching into my symptoms, and at this point my mother told me my biological Grandfather had suffered from Type 1 Diabetes. Infact, he had also failed to look after himself correctly, and a combination of the diabetes and alcohol had killed him in his late 30s. So i took a handful of leaflets and printouts to my GP, and told him i was almost convinced I was suffering the onset of diabetes. He shrugged me off, saying I was a typical youth and I needed to sleep more. At this time, i could sleep a straight 16 hours and wake up feeling like I'd just run a marathon. So although i knew he was wrong, I hadn't a leg to stand on and just got on with it.

After a while, I admitted defeat in the Corporate video job, believing it was just too much for me to handle, and I resigned and moved into an evening shift bar job for a while, and then quickly into a regular office telesales job selling car insurance. I was so ill and tired at this time, that I didnt much care for anything except finding a regular hours job to allow myself more time to determine what was making me so ill. The office job was regular hours alright, but I was still painfully ill at times and lateness was still a problem. Alarm clocks booming as loud as brass bands beside my bed would do little to stir me in the mornings - I might aswell have been dead for all the good it did to stir me.

The office managers quickly picked up on my poor timekeeping, and ofcourse I told them I thought I was very ill, but without any kind of diagnosis I hadn't a leg to stand on. They instructed me to see my GP again, and return with a note stating I was having medical complications - or else they would put me right through the disciplinary procedure and inevitably, dismiss me.
I went to my GP, and again he told me to sleep more, and stop eating later in the day as it was 'putting fuel on a fire that's already burnt out.' No offer of a fasting test, blood test or anything. I knew there was more to my symptoms, but even so, i had nothing to prove it, so my argument would fall flat with my employer. I walked out on the office job soon after because I couldn't tolerate the embarrassment of being kicked out when I knew I had done nothing wrong.

By this point, I had lost an enormous amount of my previous bodyweight. I was described as looking 'like a skeleton' on more than one occasion, and it was more clear to me than ever that something was seriously wrong. I was struggling to find work, and found myself in a confusing situation where I fell out of favour with my parents, and ended up sleeping in various people's spare rooms and almost scavenging for scraps to eat. My entire life was in a daze - a permanent state of perplexing fuzziness where i found it near impossible to focus my attention on anything or utilise my previously sharp and creative mind. I must have looked like a junkie to any passerby on the street, although I've hardly touched any such substance in my life. Friends were buying me food, and lending me money to buy me more time.

As my symptoms reached their worst, I found a part-time job at Tesco. It was a christmas temp position, and it was dull. But i wasn't one to complain, as I had money coming in again and that was one step atleast. What I really hated was my severe lack of physical energy, and lifting stock baskets and boxes alone was nearly impossible, or so it seemed. Then came the typical first sign of diabetes in the form of urinating frequently. I was going to the toilet literally every 15 minutes, and I think at that point i knew i was diabetic. Then one day at work, i near enough fell face first into the rack of cauliflowers I was attempting to arrange, and staggered into the staff room in an attempt to be sick. Then I promptly took my lunch break, walked home and was sick a number of times. My work colleague and housemate came to find me at that point, and said I looked like death. Still, knowing how crucial it was to keep my job, i stumbled back down the road to Tesco in an attempt to return to work. By the time I got there, I knew the attempt was futile as I was certainly going to pass out. I asked the store duty manager to dismiss me for the day, which she grudgingly did, and then I stood outside the entrance and phoned NHS direct (the only people up until that point who had actually been helpful.) The nurse on the phone told me to stop being so modest and go and see a Doctor immediately. I phoned up my GP and made an emergency appointment - thank God something was being done about it at last, I thought.

Almost as soon as I sat down infront of my GP, he told me he was almost 100% certain I was diabetic. I wasn't the least bit surprised, as I'd known myself for a long time. I was told I didn't need an ambulance, but someone should take me to the Hospital immediately. After I told my parents, they came out of work and took me there immediately, and on arrival I was told i had a blood sugar reading of 46mmols, and they were surprised I was still conscious.

The hospital was a surreal week-long experience with tiny meals and old men with dementia running off with my trousers, but all in all I had insulin in my hand, and I knew how to use it, and atlast I could start fighting that dazed sense of confusion I'd been experiencing for nearly 2 years. I was dismissed from the hospital a day before christmas, and within a month I'd almost fully recovered. Tesco handed me my notice the day I walked back into the store (convenient), but it hardly mattered as I landed myself a well paying job as a Media/ICT technician in a school within weeks.

I'd love to say the story ends there, and everything since has been perfect, but it hasn't. Although my diabetes control is reportedly good (I have never had a diabetes emergency since my diagnosis at the end of 2007 or a situation where I consider my blood sugars to be severely out of my own control), continued difficulties with night time blood sugars have resulted in the problem of lateness and poor punctuality re-occuring from time to time. Now I have to say, I'm not perfect when it comes down to controlling my blood levels, but ask yourself would you expect someone who is diagnosed with Type1 diabetes at the young age of 21 to sit counting carbs all day? I've done advanced diabetes training, I've done my fair share of reading and research across the internet, but i refuse to let an illness completely rule my life. Is that really unfair?

My experience with diabetes in the workplace has been frustrating, to say the least. Especially since I work in a job where one day can involve sitting at a computer desk all day, and the next can involve carrying heavy equipment round. Managing my food intake vs. insulin doses on a day to day basis has been somewhat challenging, but I think I'm all but there now.

But to be honest, no matter what you say about diabetes, i don't resent it as much as I resent the ignorant people who make my life more difficult than it needs to be every day. The problem with this illness is, there's no way for others to see how serious it is without you whitey out and faceplant the floor infront of them, and because my blood sugar control is actually quite good, I've never done that. Therefore they just look at me as if to say, 'what's the big deal?'
Coming to the closing hours of an intense working day leaves you lightheaded and disoriented, and you can't remember what you were supposed to be doing next, and your superior tells you you're an idiot. And equally you find you're having a bad day with blood sugars generally, and your working pace is somewhat sluggish as you haul your heavy arms all over the shop. Then your boss tells you 'you're ****' or 'you're lazy' or something similar. It's unbelievably irritating, but what can you say? They already know everything you've got to tell them about diabetes - they just don't understand it, and you could tell them until you're blue in the face and they still wouldn't.

Worst of all was being put through a disciplinary procedure (again) in my current job, and the stress this was putting me under was hardly helping me tackle the problems I was still having with night time glucose levels. I was late from time to time, and again it was down to problematic blood levels, GPs prescribing me 3x as much basal dosage as I should be taking, and consultants experimenting with my different insulins as you would expect in the early stages of the illness. i was still getting to grips with my situation, and my superior had me in his office for a wrist slapping every few weeks. Unlike before, i felt physically and mentally able to stand my ground this time around, so I prepared to meet his argument. Most shocking was when I tried to explain the extent of my diabetes to him, and he replied saying it 'wasn't his responsibility to understand the nature of my illness.' So, he was trying to discipline and potentially fire me based on something he knew nothing about?

The sitution escalated further, with almost threatening letters summoning me to yet more meetings where written warnings that could lead to my dismissal were appearing. I realised I needed more than a few smart words to secure my job, so I contacted Diabetes UK. A lady there (Jennifer?) was incredibly helpful, explaining to me that my superiors were pursuing a course that was highly illegal, and classed as bullying in the workplace. Part of the document that she forwarded to me included the key phrase 'no employee can be disciplined in matters directly associated with their diabetes.' That's not a direct quote, but the best I can remember without the documents to hand. So i forwarded this information in the next meeting, and would you believe it they found absolutely any reason they could to issue me with a written warning (arriving for work at 8:25 when i start at 8:30 is apparently late) and then they left me alone, only to bother me from time to time now, looking for some way to try and catch me out and accuse me of swinging the lead.

Since all this passed, I've managed to sort out my night time blood sugars almost entirely in my own time. I take almost no basal dosage on the whole, and mornings seem to be a whole lot easier than they've ever been, but still not perfect. Living with my partner now certainly helps a lot, and it's nice to find someone at last who is observent of my condition, and often notices patterns in my blood sugar levels without me even having to explain it.

So here I am now. Finally about to take a driving test, living a more balanced life and enjoying it for once. As far as I'm aware, breaking into the film/TV industry is really tough for a diabetic, so I'm not sure I feel brave enough to try anymore. But at the moment, I'm just making the most of having all the things I lost (like having enough mental focus to write an article like this).

To anyone who read this, congratulations on reading the forum post that became a mini biography :wink:

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi Dan and welcome to the forum :) Thank you very much for telling us all your story. I think it will be interesting to everybody. I'm glad that things are going much better now. I think you might find this information useful which we give to new members. If you have any questions, please ask, and someone will have an answer for you.

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find well over 30,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates
A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes ... rains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips
The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Ann19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Dan and welcome to the forum.

You'll find other people on here, that like yourself, have had problems with work and a medical profession that won't listen to the patient. The people on this forum are a great help with a wealth of knowledge and support on this new way of life.

You deserve congratulations on getting your head above the water!

Ann

wsmum

Hi Dan
Woeful GP/employers ... this kind of thing happens far too often. Glad things are on the way up now - you have a lot of tenacity!

trand

you are doing well mate, and sound like the type who will/can only go forward, a fine example for others to follow....good luck

Fallenstar

Hi Dan
Good to read your story and all the better to hear you are in a much better place.....I was pushed out of a job I loved and had held down for 6 years pre Diabetic days without so much as a verbal warning at all over the whole of my employment.
Diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes ,I had two weeks off to try and stabalise things and on my FIRST day back got a....get this...FIRST and FINAL written warning...which I don't think actually exists in Employment law :lol:
The company manager told me on the QT that he didn't think I would be able to do my job as his sister had Diabetes and was bed bound....I was physically fit in my twenties and being written off because of a controllable condition....There's one born every minute eh?? :roll:

Good on you mate for getting on with it and good to here there was the help out there for you, keep your chin up Lad :D

dan.hall.uk

Hi all. Thanks for the welcome and feedback!
It's strange that outside of the interweb, it's quite rare that i get to talk to other diabetics - especially in my age range - so its nice to be here.
And i do hope someone reads what i've written and finds it helpful.

And @Fallenstar, thanks for telling your story too. I can't believe they did that to you, but when I think about it, if I hadn't been so stubborn all along I could have easily fallen victim to something similar myself, and nearly did on a fair few occasions.
As i'm sure you can agree, the strongest opposition i've come up against in the last 4 years consists of either people that know nothing about my illness, or people that think they know everything, because they already know a diabetic and assume the illness treats everyone the same.

I think my biggest concern now is wanting to jump into a more challenging career path that takes me back in the media direction, but it was so hard battling it out with my employer to hold onto one job, I'm not sure I can do that every time I have a new job and my blood sugars give me a tough few days. Only time will tell!

Anyway, good to be here and thanks for all the encouraging words!

Nanaclaire

Hi just read your blog very interesting I had problems with my employer I always had a feeling that they wanted to get rid of and boy did they try. I worked for a very big high street store I had to start 15minutes early to cover a t break as I wasn't entitled to one there was always an issue over it and I had use holiday time for app I worked for 17 years here until I collapsed at work with chest pains ended up in hospital and told I had angina to cut along story short was told I would not be able to work again bet they were clapping there hands they wanted me to hand in my notice but I didn't eventualy they finished me thru occupational healtlh I later found out that there where laws under discrimination I am pleased that I stuck it out and not given into them all thru this I have a fantastic GP now I am goin thru it all with the benefits that's another story they seem to think I am fit for work with diabetes ,angina pain every day and kidney problems it's a joke. Sorry for the rant .nanaclaire

Ausra

Interesting story.. I have a similar experience after 3 years being the best employee going to someone who is not welcome anymore in the place by the manager and the coleagues..watching someone else taking my place as a supervisor when the manager could not even mention me that they are choosing someone else over me. I was not good enough to do the supervising part, but somehow i was good enough to do the hardest workload because i always would do my best no matter how tired i feel. And all the time everybody knew I was diagnosed diabetic. I was scared to tell anyone i need a short brake to treat my hypo so sometimes i would carry on working till I could go and treat it without anyone noticing it.
All i ever heard was complaints and complaints and workmates laughing behind my back hearing them saying how slow i became and how relaxed i became about my appearance. I had to leave the place before i went completelly mad.
And GP was not supportive too first..i felt like i needed to convince him i have diabetes. It took two months to get myself diagnosed diabetic and get prescriptions for drugs. Everything was new and i felt like i needed to do GP's job myself..once they put cartridges on prescription instead of my lantus prefilled pen. When i got the cartridges i was shocked i didn't know what i was going to do with it..I went to nurse and asked her to show me how to insert those cartridges into my prefilled pen, she tried to be helpful and we figured out the cartridges needed different pen, which she prescribed for me..but when i got the pen it was not the right one so i waited for another appointment with doctor this time 2 weeks and when i got there i was advised to go see a pharmacist, after who i was sent back to gp for a prescribtion, i waited 2 weeks again because the receptionist would not give me emergency appointment...anyways..i lasted 2 weeks without my Lantus and was blamed for bad control of my diabetes. There is one more story how i was sent home from hospital told to wait for a call which i waited 2 weeks till i was rushed back to hospital again..You didn't invite me i come myself..half alive..!!:D
But once you manage to put yourself onto their records everything seems easier, then you spend half your life attending the appointments which sometimes are not necesarry..i had to give blood 3 times in 2 weeks time once! One was lost, one came back with bad results, but then on third it was said everything is ok, it was only mistake..
I remember crying for an hour on one appointment with nurse not being able to explain what was wrong with me..i couldn't..i knew it will be all my fault again. But i had to. I felt like riped in two pieces so i could only cry.
But overall i am happy with my team, i have learned how to talk with every each one of them so i just let them do their job, remind them if they forget, smile and try not to stress them out with my problems because they have their lifes too..