Troubles with LCHF

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I am only 2 days into LCHF and I've already failed massively :( I don't know about anyone else but my blood sugar levels rose up into the teens and considering what I have read about LCHF, my levels should have been low. I've done my research on LCHF and I still cannot over come the cravings for carbs and diet coke as i felt constipated, tired and depressed. How do you deal with these side effects low-carbers as I felt so rubbish and weak during my 2nd day, I was unable to leave the halls of residence that i stay at as i just felt that I could only walk from my room to the common room on that day.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am only 2 days into LCHF and I've already failed massively :( I don't know about anyone else but my blood sugar levels rose up into the teens and considering what I have read about LCHF, my levels should have been low. I've done my research on LCHF and I still cannot over come the cravings for carbs and diet coke as i felt constipated, tired and depressed. How do you deal with these side effects low-carbers as I felt so rubbish and weak during my 2nd day, I was unable to leave the halls of residence that i stay at as i just felt that I could only walk from my room to the common room on that day.

I didn't have it, but if you Google, or search on here for carb flu, you will see your body is in a bit of shock, dealing th it's different diet. The bottom line is you just have to push through it. It passes in a few days, and many people find the benefits outweigh the couple of days of discomfiture.

However you change your diet, your body will fight against it for a short while. Our bodies will resist change, but it will come around.

your bloods rising could well be your liver keeping your blood levels up. Again, I would imagine that would soon drop into line.

Reactions: 3 people

modesty007

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
You will get through this, it sounds like severe so called carb flu, either you stick out or lower your carbs in steps (but the results will take longer). You need to drink extra water and also have some extra salt 0,5-1 tsp per day. The carb cravings will ease the longer you stick to this.

Reactions: 4 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
To help with Low Carb flu, you can also take a few supplements. I was recommended Omega3, Zinc, Magnesium and a multi-vitamin, and it really helped. I didn't get the Low Carb flu problems that many have.

modesty007

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
When it comes to magnesium, use magnesiumoxid for reversing the constipation and more bioavailable like magnesiumcitrate for supplement.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would suggest sufficient water is a significant combatant to constipation, and lots of other stuff.

If you have given up diet coke and not replacing it with any other fluid, that needs to be addressed or dehydration will linger, and that's not good, diabetic or not.

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Are you on insulin? If so, you'll still need to inject. This could explain why your levels went into the teens. I didn't experience the lethargy, but it's likely that you are not consuming enough calories; you need to replace the calories in carbs with those in fats and protein. Also, you can still have diet coke on a LCHF diet.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
2 days in you were almost there, day 3 is the wall and when the starvation feelings stop

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarb101/a/firstweek.htm

the first week sucks...eat anything except carb......lettuce leaves stuffed with cold meats, sardines..I ate coconut oil by the spoonful, real butter
eat what you think is a silly amount of healthy fats and you can eat even more
drink lots of water and have an extra teaspoon of salt a day for the first week
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarbliving/a/Food-Cravings.htm For me, the more carbs we eat the more carbs we want. they don’t give up easy.

remember there is no such thing as too much of anything non carb the first week..the object is to get through the carb withdrawal

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 10 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
a change is diet messes with your stools
take a stool softener for the first 2 weeks, I had mavicol available [I now now I needed more veg and bran..go easy putting bran in your diet, start small]

edit, for the first couple of weeks, I think metamusal might be the best ..there is amounts given to take

drink lots of water will help a lot
lots of above ground veg for fibre, you can also have bran fibre, oat brans the best

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I already drink too much water (5 litres or more) as it stands as I tend to avoid tea and coffee. I think my problem is that I always have money or my cards on me where ever I go and if I can do without them for a week by losing them, I think that might help me and I might do it when I next do my tesco online food shop in a week or two, as what I have in is mainly carbs and protein.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
5lt is too much, there is no need to have more than 2 IMO...though I may have had 3 the first week, I'm now at about 1.5lt some months later, I had to go cold turkey with carbs, slowly reducing wouldn't work for me..

msmi1970

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
mine lasted 5 days. it was terrible. nausea, headaches, diarrhea, lethargy etc. salty meats might help with the nausea. other than that, just have to plough through it. trust me. it's WORTH IT. best sugar control i have had in around 15 years WITHOUT any medication or herbs.

Reactions: 2 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
mine lasted 5 days. it was terrible. nausea, headaches, diarrhea, lethargy etc. salty meats might help with the nausea. other than that, just have to plough through it. trust me. it's WORTH IT. best sugar control i have had in around 15 years WITHOUT any medication or herbs.
extra salt is important, akindrat with 5 lt is flushing the salts , as well as the low carb salt flush. a double wammy

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I thought that salt is bad for blood pressure so I've stayed away from it, plus i believed that 5 litres of water was good. I do admit that I gulp instead of just sipping and that is why I drink so much water and other beverages.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Low carbing can eliminate any salt in your diet...
You do need a small amount. I have salads most days and just crunch some rocksalt on the cucumber. As I only eat stuff like berries n yogurt, chicken, salmon with salad or veg then unless I make a point of doing something then I get none....

sunspots

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I have found that whole nut peanut butter, no salt or sugar added, is a great and palatable means of managing constipation. I'm not sure how much you might need though. Days when I eat a good few spoonfuls seem best.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I thought that salt is bad for blood pressure so I've stayed away from it, plus i believed that 5 litres of water was good. I do admit that I gulp instead of just sipping and that is why I drink so much water and other beverages.
the say a carb diet retains salt and a lc diet flushes salt, also they say the first week you are losing water
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarb101/a/firstweek.htm
Tip: Mary Vernon, M.D. says that people often lose a lot of salt with the fluid the first few days, and feels that some of the symptoms are due to this. She recommends a cup of bouillon several times per day for a few days. Also, make sure you are getting enough potassium during this period.

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
OK, I love salt but I've avoided it since being diagnosed 2 years ago. Is their a limit as to how much salt i should have as I do not want my blood pressure to sky rocket. Also I would just like to say that I have had no alcohol since November 1st nor diet coke since November 6th. Going cold turkey on diet coke has hit me hard with nausea, migraines, shaking uncontrollably but for the past two days I have slept undisturbed with no more waking up to go loo.

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It is a wise move to give up the diet coke considering what so called sweeteners they use, also the lack of caffeine your having will help you sleep better.
I think the LCHF diet can include certain types of alcohol in moderation. ( a glass of red wine maybe )
All I am saying is don't punish your self to much.
Also are you having sparkling water ( I believe Douglas99 gets everyday value from Tesco's which sounds a great deal ).100% safer than coke.