Trying not to eat meat

Sunhat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am type 2, controlled well, been taken off the Metformin tablets, my HbA1c test last month was 5.7 (work on the old numbers still here in Spain) I have lost almost 16kg in the last 2 years by healthy eating, and managing to keep to a size 12 too.

I am trying to eat less meat, i am not very comfortable with the way some of the livestock herein Spain is treated, I do like meat though!:(

Any suggestions to what i can eat and stay healthy?:)

Thanks

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Hi Sunhat :) Congratulation on your improved hba1c and weight loss!

There are so many delicious, healthy meals you can eat. I wouldn't know where to start listing things.

I am a LCHF vegetarian and often post meals and recipes on the low carb section. Have a browse.

Tonight I am planning mushroom jalfrezi with coconut lime cauliflower "rice". Not tried the curry recipe before, but if it is a hit, I will share it on the low carb section.

Reactions: 2 people

Sunhat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What is LCHF Avocado? Will go and take a look in the low carb section, thanks

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
what about buying a freezer and get free range meat from a local farmer?

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Sunhat. I too lost a lot of weight and got my HBA1c back into the normal zone by radically altering my diet.

I have 2 red meat days, two poultry days, two fish days and 1 vegetarian day per week. I eat carbs but stick to low GI carbs, brown rice, rye bread, lentils and beans, pearly barley, wholewheat pasta and so on. Even if I eat pork or beef, I don't have large amounts but shred it and use it in a stir fry or in a curry, occasionally a ragu.

On the menu tonight though:

Spicy seafood stew:

recipe-image-legacy-id--932567_11.jpg

Sunhat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been trying to eat to a low GI recipe book, that spicey seafood stew looks lovely, can you let me have the recipe please? We live in a mainly olive growing area, we do keep hens, but I could not kill one! I have had a neighbour do the deed before!