1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2017 »
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Trying out Newcastle diet.

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by endgame, Oct 24, 2017.

1. Tabbyjoolz

Tabbyjoolz Type 2 · Well-Known Member

@endgame et al - what an inspiring read!

I intend to start the Newcastle Diet in the new year. I have no qualms at all about doing it without medical supervision as I am only diet controlled and in pretty good health. I'm very curious to see how much of a difference it can make!

2. endgame

endgame Type 2 · Active Member

Hi Bluetit1802, thanks for the encouragement and information, my appointment will indeed be a morning one so I will take your advice and just have water after my evening meal and up to the actual test, the test includes my cholesterol, liver function etc, also my PSA level due to prostate cancer, which I have had removed and been OK for the last year:)
    I will also ask for a print off of all my tests for my diabetes and the actual date I was diagnosed, should hope my dn doesn't have a problem with this request!.
    Will then be able to complete my profile, don't know weather it was yourself or other members that suggested having these print outs but I thought it a good bit of information....

I will go for the test towards end of December that being 2 weeks after end of nd and hopefully give me a good result and better than my last one ( more meds more meds ). As I started the nd to try to not take meds ,so this would be a great New year to have accomplished this.
    Regards

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  3. endgame

Hi Tabbyjoolz, thanks for your encouragement, I hope that you to will keep a diary and update the community when you go onto the nd, the encouragement from other member's and information as helped me to achieve my goal and keep me on track. Will you be using real food or the shake route? I must say that I found the shakes convenient, that said shakes are not for everyone. Good luck with your quest :) and keep us informed of your progress..
    Regards

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Tabbyjoolz

Tabbyjoolz Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Yes, I will. I'm going to do shakes and veg to start with, but may gravitate to real food once boredom kicks in.

5. Hiitsme

Hiitsme Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Well done @endgame Not long to go now.
    I hope you are also encouraged by news yesterday on the ND study.

6. endgame

Hi Hiitsme, thanks for the encouragement, yes my wife also mentioned the nd on the news, she was a little worried with my weight loss but now realises the benefit for me...last shake today then lchf diet, looking forward to tomorrow.

Regards

7. endgame

Well that's it with the nd, will update figures in a Mo, finished the nd Sunday so started lchf Monday with egg bacon sausage, mushroom and tomatoes, with half protein roll from Lidl toasted with butter......so nice. Bg this morning 4.8 which is OK with me. Going to keep up the testing to ensure nothing gets out of hand, with Christmas round corner will need to be on guard not to eat them mince pies etc, looking for low carb alternatives without all the additives.

Day 50 bg 5.6?
    Day 51 bg 4.9
    Day 52 bg 4.6
    Day 53 bg 5.7?
    Day 54 bg 5.1
    Day 55 bg 4.4
    Day 56 bg 4.8

Weight at end of nd week 8 is 61.7kgs which is really good and hope to maintain between 61 to 63 kgs.

I have not had any meds during the 8 weeks and feel a lot better for it, now to get back into my exercise routine to help with the extra cals that will come during my lchf diet, hope to build up mussel mass lost during the nd.
    If I was to do the nd again I would still go with the shakes for the convenience, and adjust for the last couple of weeks with real food and shakes. Cost wise I used tesco ultraslim, 4 flavors are available and seemed to be on offer most of the time, saving me £2 each time I had 2 box's. I have a few shakes left so will use one if I need a quick meal including some salad too.
    Would like to thank forum members for the encouragement during my 8 weeks and if I may say thanks to Prof Roy Taylor for sharing his research.

Still drinking 2 to 3 litres of fluid a day and have started to have salt which I never had added to my meals.

Good luck to forum members who take on the nd in the future.
    Regards. :)

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 · Oracle

What a brilliant result, and well done for completing it.
    Enjoy your LCHF and enjoy Christmas. :)

9. DCUKMod

DCUKMod · Moderator
    Staff Member

@endgame - If you tried eating real food, wrapped around some weeks of ND, then I think any weight variance is probably white noise.

If you are doing ND, with shakes and a bit of veg, you likely don't have too much bulk (ahem) on board at any given time, whereas n real food, it likely simply weighs more.

Don't get too hung up on it until you have some decent trends to judge against.

Well done on sticking with it, and good luck moving forward.

10. Hiitsme

Hiitsme Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Well done @endgame
    Good luck for the next stage which you seem to have thought through. Enjoy Christmas, albeit without a massive amount of carbs.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook