Trying to lose weight but no success

quintel

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My sister is getting married in July and I would love to lose some weight. I need to anyway as my weight has crept up over the past few years by a good 10-15kg. My GP has told me it's difficult for T1 diabetics to lose weight as insulin is a fat storing hormone etc. A month ago I signed up for a gym membership, I go 4 times a week, eat low carb meals such as soya yogurt and fruit for breakfast, salad and lean meat for lunch and a very low carb dinner. However I'm very frustrated after a month of not losing a single kilo! Any advice as to what I can do? July is soon!!

joanne75

Hi @ guintel I feel your pain really I do, would it be worth trying to work out what your BMR is and that way you can work out how many calories you need, you might just bee eating enough to sustain your current weight. I have been following a guy called James Smith Training hes an English PT based in Australia and hes brilliant, talks a whole load of sense, take a look he has a FB page, I believe that the way forward might just be weight training.

I swim 3 mornings a week and do a pilates class and I still struggle to loose weight am also on 1000cal a day, I am going to start weight training as well 2 times a week to see if this makes a difference!! good luck

D

Deleted Account

Do you want to lose weight or inches?
If you visit the gym regularly, you may be converting fat to muscle which is heavier so you won't be losing weight.
However, you may be able to adjust your exercise to focus on toning (and inch loss) in certain areas.

Last edited by a moderator:

quintel

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you want to lose weight or inches?
If you visit the gym regularly, you may be converting fat to muscle which is heavier so you won't be losing weight.
However, you may be able to adjust your exercise to focus on toning (and inch loss) in certain areas.

I would say inches yes, I use the running machines and cycling machines so maybe it's building muscle? I've only been going a month so I didn't think I would gain muscle that fast and see some weight loss first? I don't look like I've lost weight. Maybe I'm wrong and too impatient!

Last edited: