Type 1 18+ Diabetic

-beckyb93-

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi :) it's nice to hear from you kerrin_geee - don't worry about getting your head around your diabetes - I am and I have been diagnosed for 13 years - you do get used to it :) just takes time - some people ignore it some people try to make sense of it - I've learnt to embrace it! Every feeling U can have for diabetes I've had

I tried ignoring it. Fighting it. Arguing, debating, questioning myself, questioning others. And after 7tears. Having it I learnt to just embrace it and not let it stop me :)

I've had 4 consultants since I was diagnosed and all 4 have told me I'm not allowed to to camping. Festivals, concerts, on long hikes, swimming for long distances , not to join or go to a gym, not to do any strenuous crocodiles as it would all make my diabetes worse and my life harder!
At first I was like what? Ok! Then I said to myself F*** that! I'm not letting it stop me!
And I haven't and. Because I didn't listen to the consultants I have learnt to embrace my diabetes and live a pretty awesome life so far :)

Basically my advice to anyone out there is dont swell on your diabetes - embrace it - because anything is possible :) x

Sorry for the loooong message and rant haha x

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Becky...... Did you mean strenuous exercise? Because we don't get many crocodiles in the uk haha

Hi kerrin! I was diagnosed almost 6 months ago. It gets easier every day :)

-beckyb93-

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Kim - yes I meant exercise hahahaaa!! Although I could not add crocodiles to my bucket list - I thought if I start my bucket list now I can do more things :) already completed I've already completed 5 hahaa!

But yes definitely meant exercise and not crocodiles haha- cant stop laughing now! LOL!

And - it does get easier :) it's also better if people understand what diabetes is and your type!
Like in kandersteg when I went there were wry few who understood the condition - and myself and my boyfriend who knew and understands it well and so whilst in kandersteg I ended up giving a three hour lesson on diabetes (type 1 - which I have) and what a hypo is and a hyper and what to do and what it can feel like for a diabetic! It made me feel better because the scouts and explorers who went now know a little bit of basic information on diabetes and what hypos and hypers are, look like and how to deal with them! Haha! Especially if we are up a mountain with no mobile service lol!
Sorry ranting in again haha xx

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I feel I spend at least 40% of my day speaking about diabetes. Explaining why I suddenly have to do all these things, why I can still eat some things that they thought I wouldn't be able to, what it feels like to be high and low and what they can do to help if I ask for it. But they ask when they see me doing things so of course I'm going to answer them!

-beckyb93-

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Same here :) it only really frustrates me when people say I shouldn't do my injections out In The open as its an inconvenience to them!
It really gets under my skin :/ x

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No one has ever said that to me, only comments I have had is that they didnt realise I had done my jab already. But then there are many years ahead for me to hear the complaints!

-beckyb93-

Type of diabetes
Type 1
In my opinion Kim I don't give a **** / it's like u wouldn't tell an individual who's has an epileptic fit inform to fu to go somewhere else n have the fit because its am inconvenience to you!
My family tell me alot thy haven't realised I've done my injection! It's routine really :) x

ashleyk2552

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People saying 'I know how you feel'! NO YOU DONT!
Hi, I'm Ashley and have type 1 diabetes. I'm 18years old and I got diagnosed when I was two! I'm here to help or talk if anyone wants too!:) not gonna lie, I find it a daily struggle!!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

-beckyb93-

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Ashley I'm Becky :)
Nice to meet you :) and don't worry - I think we all find it a struggle :) I know I do on Saturdays with my work - my supervisor hates it because I have a set routine to have my insulin and a small meal/sandwich between 5 and half 6 and he hates having to switch others reals with mine - thankfully my colleagues aren't too bothered because they know its because I have my injection :)
Here to talk whenever needed or wanted :) x

chr1234

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi!

I am 19 and have been diabetic for two years, the last year has been one mighty stuggle but now back on track! feel free to message for a chat!

Charlotte x

-beckyb93-

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Charlotte - it's good to hear your back on track after a struggle last year :) I must say my sugar levels have never been fabulous except from when I was on a diet ages ago - so I have decided to 'diet' again and why've been alot better - when I say 'diet' I mean more fish and chicken with more fruit and Pepsi max and water and less juice and chocolate and crisps :)
So as a snack I have changed from crisps and chocolate to a handle of cashew nuts or grapes - it is going really well so far :) only had a few in the teens which is a huge improvement :) fingers crossed it all goes well ;)

chr1234

Type of diabetes
Type 1
-beckyb93- said:
Hi Charlotte - it's good to hear your back on track after a struggle last year :) I must say my sugar levels have never been fabulous except from when I was on a diet ages ago - so I have decided to 'diet' again and why've been alot better - when I say 'diet' I mean more fish and chicken with more fruit and Pepsi max and water and less juice and chocolate and crisps :)
So as a snack I have changed from crisps and chocolate to a handle of cashew nuts or grapes - it is going really well so far :) only had a few in the teens which is a huge improvement :) fingers crossed it all goes well ;)

I have started dieting myself! Carbs are a no no atm, where my control was poor I lost over two stone so now trying to keep that weight down and getting healthy! my chocolate fix atm is low calorie hot chocolate always nice at the end of the day and has little sugar in too! :D

-beckyb93-

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Cool - I'm joining my college gym when I o back next 2 weeks :) loose some more weight and tone up my stomach, legs and thighs :) or started wearing and using a pedometer as well :)

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I love my pedometer :) I have a puppy so I go running or for a walk with him every day. I don't follow a diet, I've always tried to eat healthily.

My issue is with fruit though, and I miss it. Although I inject for it I get a big spike and then drop like a stone! Grapes are a no go and they're my favourite :(

-beckyb93-

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I swear by grapes yellow melon and watermelon - mainly red grapes (don't like green grapes) I swear by grapes :) and cashew nuts :) x

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Watermelon isn't too bad but it isn't readily available really!

When I want to snack I usually have a mug of mint tea first, the mint acts as an appetite suppressant. If I'm still hungry afterwards THEN ill eat. I've been doing it for years and it works great. Means I only eat when I really need it, not because I'm bored etc

-beckyb93-

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'd love to be able to do that - but I can't drink any kind if tea or coffee - it's extremely rare that I drink hot chocolate!
If I feel 'hungry' I have a drink of water leave it half hour d I'm still hungry I'll have a small something likes handful of grapes or nuts :) x

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I avoid caffeine as it gives me migraines, but herbal teas are fine for me :)

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Why can't you drink them? Is it just the heat? I hope you feel better soon!