Type 1, 20's

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Type one diabetic, been diagnosed for 14 years now and still can't get the hang of it! Any tips?

Are you carb counting and adjusting your insulin? If not, that's my biggest tip. I'd also recommend the book Think Like A Pancreas I'd you haven't already read it :)

Reactions: himtoo

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Type one diabetic, been diagnosed for 14 years now and still can't get the hang of it! Any tips?

All of the above, particularly the carb counting, and if you can get any sort of cgm, such as Freestyle Libre, do that. The difference between a few snapshots from a meter and a full on 24 hours a day graph is extraordinary.

If you're in your twenties, as the title suggests, it's easy to think, nah, I'm in my twenties, ain't going to worry about complications, but these things can catch up with you damned fast, so pay attention to it. Carb counting might sound tedious, but I'd rather put up with that than going blind.

DiabeticDadUK

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi there! PLEASE try to get on top of this as a priority. I speak from experience when I say that being lax in your 20s can really mess you up in your 30s. It's never too late. Perhaps you need to reboot your thinking about your T1? Start from the beginning and dedicate some time to getting a good tight blood glucose control. Be honest with your medical team and get their support in getting your T1 under control.

If carb counting is too much for you then at least get some idea of the basics... a slice of bread, a bowl of cornflakes + milk... take baby steps then work on it. T1 is work but if you value your health then it's worth it :)

Good luck :)

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi @siobhanthompson
welcome to the forum !! :)

I would suggest the book Think Like A Pancreas too !! good read and lots of useful info.

also -- be kind to yourself and remember you cant do it all in 1 day -- control takes time and happens with "life" going on as well !!