Type 1 25 weeks pregnant with twins

pipster78

hi there

I’m liking for some advice please from
All those who’ve had babies.

I’ve been on a pump just over 12 months and is great should have tried for one a long time ago.

Initially during early pregnancy I had great control but as time progresses it is not as good and this worries me a lot. Babies are on the bigger side I guess to be expected but it is their little tummies that are growing too much, I’ve had a consultant appointment on Friday and increased carb ratio considerably but not yet having desired effect in results. My diet is really good abd there is nothing in there that should cause my results to be so out of range. By our If range I mean often between 10-12 which is too high during pregnancy.

Any tips gratefully received as I want my babies to have best start in life and what happens if their tummies continue to grow at this rate?

First time mummy.

Thank you

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
congratulations wow twins ...:)

how do they know it is their tommies growing too fast... ? when I was pregnant my midwife was so sure that my baby was too little (because I hardly ate any thing because of wommiting, but she came out fine and okay in size of 3750 gram ... the midwife estimated my baby to be far below 2500 grams.... To me it seems they are only guessing ... not really a very precise measurement ?

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@pipster78 when are you noticing highs of 10-12? I'm assuming it's after meals if you've had your I:C ratio increased? When it comes to post prandial highs the other thing to consider to reduce them is pre bolusing, so when do you bolus for food?

If you're pumping you might also consider a super bolus to try and avoid post prandial highs. With a super bolus you reduce your basal, then you add the units lost from the basal delivery into your meal bolus. The larger bolus starts to work quickly, but you avoid a later low because the basal has been reduced by the same amount.

You might also think about the combination of macros in your meals - adding fat to carbs can slow down the rise a bit.