Type 1 and 6 weeks pregnant

solstickan

Hi,
I have had type 1 for 20 years and I am now 6 weeks pregnant :D
I use the DAFNE carb counting.
I am really struggling to get my blood sugar levels even, either I have hypo after hypo or it's above 10 which is pretty stressful.
I have tried to lower my Lantus in the morning (take split doses) and "save" some of my breakfast for a bit later but then I have a hypo. If my BS is below 7.5 1-2hrs after a meal I will definately have a hypo in the next hour.
Makes it pretty hard at work, luckily they are very understanding.
Any suggestions?

Thank you, Sara

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
It would appear your insulin/carb ratio's need to be looked at again if you are having hypo's post-meal times, given that you have reduced your basal dose. I believe being pregnant can disrupt bg control, so it may be worth having a chat with your dsn about your erratic readings and ask for advice, if possible ask to speak with a DAFNE trained nurse.

Nigel

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Spiders, winter, bills, ignorance, prejudice
hi there - I can totally sympathise I am 21 weeks pregnant (insulin dependent mody). I had same problem as you going hypo up to 3 times a day then realised I was taking too much basal insulin, so it's important to get this right. Has your doctor changed your basal or split your dose?
Also in early pregnancy the baby can take glucose from your body and this can encourage hypos. its a pain but you just have to test a million times a day. If you are worried about the highs, can you take a correction dose? I would take one or even a half unit of novorapid to bring it down if I shot up after a meal but be careful you don't go too low as it can plummet.
It doesn't get much easier I'm afraid - I'm 21 weeks now and due to pregnancy hormones creating insulin resistance i now need a lot more insulin especially in the morning, which is quite common, so be prepared for this. good luck

solstickan

Thanks,
I have changed my ratios but I guess it just takes a while to get it all right. I have also lowered my Lantus but I still have the hypos and I already take split doses. Seeing the Doctor on Monday though so hopefully he'll be able to help me.
Hard work...